Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Homeowners with hardwood floors, opinons needed

My kids have literally destroyed the carpet in the living room, dining room and main hallway in our house so the wife and I decided it was time to get hardwood floors installed. We looked at this hardwood imitation laminate type stuff at home Depot, they say it's tougher and can withstand more abuse than true hardwood. Does anyone here have this type of flooring in their house? Pro's - Con's? I've always heard real hardwood is soft and will dent easily if something is dropped on it and that re-finishing it is a pain in the ass.
    Also their is a pretty good price gap between the two. We are looking at a Dupont butternut color, it's a light colored wood. Just wanted to get a few opinions before I go and drop and couple grand today..

blue
    2000 SS

Me and the wife just put this in about a month ago. So far we love it it is easy to clean takes some abuse ( I have dropped a few hard objects on it and it hasn't dented yet wrenches and screw drivers). We installed it in our living room and into the kitchen about 450 square feet me and my dad installed it in a little over 4hrs. If you are going to do it yourself get the install video it gives you a few good tips.

You should check on finished concrete floors, it looks better than tile and much better than wood or laminate.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Anything that is a laminate can de-laminate, especially in high traffic areas. We are just about to install bamboo floors (ripping up the old wall to wall).

If the subfloor is very hard without much bounce you may be able to get away with a laminate but if it is flexible I would recommened against it. You also do not want it in a kitchen or bath area, regardless of what a salesman says, and put something different in entrance and exit ways.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Evictor View Post
    You should check on finished concrete floors, it looks better than tile and much better than wood or laminate.

Ummm NO! I think I'll pass on that, the garage is the only place that finished concrete floors need to be and mine is allready done.

I'm going to check on true hardwood then, I was kinda iffy about the laminate since it's a snap together and go type of floor. I don't want the house made out of leggo's, we are using laminate in the kitchen though. I'm leaving carpet in the bedrooms for now and just replace the main rooms with hardwood. I'm looking at a little over 1000 Sq. Ft. to replace so it's going to be expensive, we are going after work to price the floor and schedule an estimate. Thanks for the tips!

NBM
    99 TA

just remember you get what you pay for... if you want a good looking floor that will last a long time get real hardwood. Laminate doesn't look all that great IMO and i think it cheapens the look of a house.
    Hardwood is a good investment because it will come back to you if/when you sell your house.

my 2 pennies...

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Well let me ask this, I'm not too familiar with this stuff so bear with me.. I found some Bruce 3" Engineered hardwood flooring in a Butterscotch color. What exactly does engineered mean? Would that be similar to a pressboard type of material rather than solid wood? It looks pretty good and runs $ 52.50 for a 15 sq. ft. pack

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I would "assume" that engineered is a synonym for laminate... We are getting our bamboo for less than $4.00/sf... Laminates in the kitchen would not be a good idea. Vinyl or tile will hold up much better. Dampness and water are bad for hardwood and horrible for laminates.

My inlaws have hardwood in their kitchen, but they are retired, kids are all grown and moved out, and they live down south for the winter so there is no heavy traffic. plus they usually cook out on their deck or eat out a lot so the kitchen is light duty use.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Anything that is a laminate can de-laminate, especially in high traffic areas. We are just about to install bamboo floors (ripping up the old wall to wall).

If the subfloor is very hard without much bounce you may be able to get away with a laminate but if it is flexible I would recommened against it. You also do not want it in a kitchen or bath area, regardless of what a salesman says, and put something different in entrance and exit ways.
    Bamboo floors.........Nice

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

True hardwoods can be refinished if needed. Laminate damage would have to be replaced. Pro's and Con's. Weigh your decision on $$$ and traffic use. Perhaps some area rugs over laminate 'till the little one's get older would be a good, cheaper alternative.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Thanks! I'm going to talk to them about hardwood rather than laminate then because if I'm spending this much I might as well do it right. We will be selling the house in another five years because the DOD is transferring us out of state somewhere, figured I'd get a little equity out of the house before we move. Thanks again for the advise.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I'm in the process of doing our whole house in either tile or hardwood, because of our youngest's asthma. I did our bedroom in Bruce, engineered oak and it's held up great, even with our bloodhound's huge claws. I did our youngest's in Bruce engineered parquet and that looks great too. I think the finish on this product is 50 years. I don't like the "pergo" type floors, cause I've seen the finish wear off, I just like wood better.
    2000TA, ARCTIC WHITE, 6 SPD
    ALL THE USUAL STUFF
    A MILE HIGH & A SECOND SLOWER

black
    2002 camaro

I've installed both laminate and engineered hardwood floating floors in my house. My opinion, for a living room and dining room I would install the engineered hardwood (prefinished). Relatively easy to install and looks nice. Can also be refinished up to three times. Laminate floors look to cheap for a living room. (My opinion). I used Kahrs brand for my wood floor. Pre-kiln dried. All that you need is a good chop saw. Good Luck.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
    I've installed both laminate and engineered hardwood floating floors in my house. My opinion, for a living room and dining room I would install the engineered hardwood (prefinished). Relatively easy to install and looks nice. Can also be refinished up to three times. Laminate floors look to cheap for a living room. (My opinion). I used Kahrs brand for my wood floor. Pre-kiln dried. All that you need is a good chop saw. Good Luck.
    BTW, Welcome Noreaster, good to see another "old guy"

navy blue metallic
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    My kids have literally destroyed the carpet in the living room, dining room and main hallway in our house so the wife and I decided it was time to get hardwood floors installed. We looked at this hardwood imitation laminate type stuff at home Depot, they say it's tougher and can withstand more abuse than true hardwood. Does anyone here have this type of flooring in their house? Pro's - Con's? I've always heard real hardwood is soft and will dent easily if something is dropped on it and that re-finishing it is a pain in the ass.
    Also their is a pretty good price gap between the two. We are looking at a Dupont butternut color, it's a light colored wood. Just wanted to get a few opinions before I go and drop and couple grand today..
    if you'd like i can ask my fiance, he does that for a living

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I put hardwood floors in my house and love them. I know they add value also...not sure about the fake stuff.....if you have dogs you'd better make sure they have their nails cut.....scratch city!! If you're going to do it yourself then prep work is key.....if you're working with the slab underneath then you need to buy self leveling filler they sell at Home Depot or Lowes....not sure of the name...

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Well we went and talked to Lowes about the pre-engineered hardwood and made an apppointment for next Tuesday to get a price quote. After looking at the laminate and the pre-engineered I now realize why the laminate is so cheap. The engineered hardwood wasn't much more for a square foot either, thanks for all the help! I can't wait to see what it looks like, I'll take some pics of the house before and after just to compare.

BIGRED Z
    We have the laminate in our place and I love it. Much less expensive, and you still get the look of hardwood with all the durability hardwood lacks. As far as installation, we bought the stuff with the foam underlayment already attatched to the actual planks of wood. Makes it go a bit smoother.

Lori

there are different types of hardwood. there is oak and pine etc.. I have OAK in my foyer, living room and dining room that stuff is hard as hell and doesnt' dent from anything dropping on it. I've dropped alot of stuff and it's fine. You can get it sanded and refinished and it looks gorgeous every time. Now the pine that is a different story that is in the kitchen and my fiance's heel's put little dents in it because it is a softer wood.

I don't like the laminate floors that you just click together I like to call it lego floors. My friend put it in and it looks nice enough, but at the same time people know you cheesed out on the cost. And from what I can tell it's not any more durable than real wood it's like compressed stuff with a layer of wood on top.

Get the real wood floors you won't regret it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information