its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

home security guru's ....step inside...

my house has a adt home security system installed but is not activated. there are a few wires cut coming from the main panel to the control panel. i was wondering if i would be able to hook those wires back up and use the system as just an alarm so that if someone breaks in when im home, i can hear them without having it call the police or having to pay a monthly bill. anyone??????

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Get a dog

pewter
    99 trans am

i got a dog...his spoiled ass sleeps in the room with us...his "momma" wont make him sleep downstairs

blue
    2001 silverado

I know its possible. I had one years ago. Only unpluged the phone line. So not sure with you sliced wires. Hate to ask but is it a trailer? I drove for a few years doing repo work. I ask because the cleanerz are asked to kill the alarm. In case it was online. 99% of the time they just cut the wires. REsplice and good to go.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

its a purdy house lol

pewter
    99 trans am

no its not a trailer....the phone lines are still hooked up, but they cut the wires from the main panel to the control panel....

pewter
    99 trans am

you saws my house?

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

u posted all about it

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

If you happen to have someone break in, is there a plan for that? Just curious, as that step is more important than detection.

Do you still have the control unit? Does it still arm? The system it's self should still work, only the automatic call to ADT would be gone, that's what your paying for. They shouldn't be able to shut your "open door/window" detection. Have you tried turning it on and opening a door? Does it have a speaker that makes an audible noise loud enough to hear?

There's always a way, but with out knowing the circuitry and specific product being used, it's extremely difficult to give you an over the internet answer.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    If you happen to have someone break in, is there a plan for that? Just curious, as that step is more important than detection.

Do you still have the control unit? Does it still arm? The system it's self should still work, only the automatic call to ADT would be gone, that's what your paying for. They shouldn't be able to shut your "open door/window" detection. Have you tried turning it on and opening a door? Does it have a speaker that makes an audible noise loud enough to hear?

There's always a way, but with out knowing the circuitry and specific product being used, it's extremely difficult to give you an over the internet answer.
    all my bedrooms are upstairs. with our fans goin at night we cant hear worth a damn whats goin on downstairs. thats why i want some kind of indication when it happens. i do have a plan for when it happens. i jump up, step out my bedroom door and aim the 870 downstairs until i see someone. my kids rooms are pretty close to mine so i make them leave their doors open at night just to make sure i can see them in their beds, instead of mistaking them for an intruder if they happen to be downstairs for a drink of water or something. The alarm system seems to be pretty much in tact, except for the cut wires. its gonna take a little bit of new cable and some layin on the floor to reconnect everything. just wanted to get an idea of how it may turn out before i make the effort.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

We have a security system at home that will alarm and is not monitored by a company. It is just an alarm that is extremely loud and warns the intruder.

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

my home security is a 12 gauge with some buck shot that hangs out under the bed

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe post a picture Jive of what you're working with. Any chance the wires are color coded? Guessing not if you're asking the question.

How many wires are we talking here? Where is the control panel in relation to the main panel?

I've heard of people doing exactly what you're asking about before. I think standard house alarms that you buy from Menards and Home Depot do the same thing. You can wire them to windows/doors and they just sound an alarm when the connectivity is broken.

I'm pretty lucky the way my house is set-up. I have just a ranch with a basement. Basement windows are 1/2 windows so there's no getting into the house that way. An intruder can basically come through the front door (keep the screen door locked and the main door is solid wood), through one of the kitchen windows (the one that is off the front porch which is lit up and even so they'd have to climb over the kitchen table ), through the side door (most likely), or through the back sliding door which would require climbing a privacy fence and busting the glass since I keep a wooden rod at the bottom to keep the door from sliding open even if the lock is broke. I even have (2) doors once you come into the side door (one going to the bathroom and one to the kitchen) which I can close and keep locked if I wanted to. Every other window is up too high to climb into, unless they used a ladder

On top of that, I have a Pitbull and a 9mm at close range

Thread Information