Thread: Home gym?

Grey
    2003 R/T

Home gym?

I need to start working out and hate going to the gym, so I plan on getting a home gym. Does anyone recommend any, ie soloflex, bowflex,???? I really dont know much about any of them, but would like something that comes with a workout routine. Im not looking to get bigger, but im told working out will greatly improve my arthritis. Thanks

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

27 and arthritis....yikes. You'll spend a lot of money for anything with the word flex on the end....if I was you i'd buy a free weight set. You're not trying to get big so you can get a cheaper set and the weights that come with it should be enough for awhile.

You can find work-out routines all day long on the net...here's one that one can do with resistance bands and your own weight. ---> http://www.mensworkoutguide.com/

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Dont get a bowflex... or anything that is advertised with an infomercial.

Buy a power rack, a bench, and some weights.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

how much room do you have is the first question. Any of thoes bowflex type machines have artifical weight meaning rubber bands or fiber bows and it will feal jerky as hell. If your set on a multi machine get one with real weights. A smith machine would probably be good for you as you can do several different things with it and buy some free weights and make a rack to hold them. Depends on what kind of workout room you have to work out in.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Dont get a bowflex... or anything that is advertised with an infomercial.

Buy a power rack, a bench, and some weights.

Check out username: Scooby1961 on YouTube. He has a whole set of home workouts...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by LS1WS6 View Post
    how much room do you have is the first question. Any of thoes bowflex type machines have artifical weight meaning rubber bands or fiber bows and it will feal jerky as hell. If your set on a multi machine get one with real weights. A smith machine would probably be good for you as you can do several different things with it and buy some free weights and make a rack to hold them. Depends on what kind of workout room you have to work out in.
    We own a Bowflex, one of the spendier ones with the squat station and leg stuff, and i have lifted Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri, for the last 4 years with sports and stuff(not summers). I would haveto disagree with the "jerky" feeling, if anything iwould describe the resistance as smooth compared to free weights. I usually use the school gym on my free period, but given time i will take a work out on the bowflex over the machines and freeweights at the school. Its alot easier to use by yourself too.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by FuhBreezeE View Post

Check out username: Scooby1961 on YouTube. He has a whole set of home workouts...
    Just checked his videos out.That guy has some great informative workouts for someone thats serious about learning how to lift the right way, and he seems really geared to saving money so that works for people that dont wanna join a gym.

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    We own a Bowflex, one of the spendier ones with the squat station and leg stuff, and i have lifted Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri, for the last 4 years with sports and stuff(not summers). I would haveto disagree with the "jerky" feeling, if anything iwould describe the resistance as smooth compared to free weights. I usually use the school gym on my free period, but given time i will take a work out on the bowflex over the machines and freeweights at the school. Its alot easier to use by yourself too.
    West Central FTW!

I just went through this same decision and didint want to drop a ton of coin on a home gym. I went to Dicks sporting Goods and checked out the bowflex, the home gyms(weider,pulley style,etc) and free weights. I have always enjoyed using free weights so right away the bowflex was out after trying it.
    I ended up with an olympic bench for 199.00 that goes from decline to straight up for military presses. Also has a squat rack on back. They were having a sale with an olympic bar and 265lbs of weights for 149.00. I added these attachments for bench - lat pulldown(49.00), preacher(39.00), and leg extens/curl(29.00) and got all this for under 500. So far it is one heck of a setup that should keep me happy for awhile.
    I also added a curl bar and dumbell bars for arms workouts. Cost another 50.00

pic of bench

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by bmyers View Post
    West Central FTW!
    Suck it....You know nothing....you and your pussy lol

Red
    1998 Camaro

I bought a setup from Sam's a couple of years ago. It was the bench, a smith machine, butterflies, rack to hold free weights, olympic bar so you can do squats free standing or on the smith machine, 310lbs olympic style weights, attachments, incline, decline, lat pulls, etc...basically everything you will need...it was only 200-300 for everything. That is your best bet. Then you can go to Hibbetts or something and buy some dumbbells. That is what I would do. That doesn't really take up alot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Suck it....You know nothing....you and your pussy lol

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

I have this one. It is a nice setup and is only like $400. It is a bitch to assemble though and takes up the better part of a room.

Wants to be Snowboarding FuhBreezeE's Avatar

Stg IV a4
    '99 TA Ws777

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Just checked his videos out.That guy has some great informative workouts for someone thats serious about learning how to lift the right way, and he seems really geared to saving money so that works for people that dont wanna join a gym.
    I've used his home bicep workouts (as well as others) and they're intense and I've seen results in a week.

SOM
    1998 Trans Am

look up ross training on youtube

Grey
    2003 R/T

thanks im going with a bowflex typ machine got a hell of a deal on one. I do like free weights better but im on a budget and from what im told this will do just fine.

Thread Information