Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home AC ?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Home AC ?

Had a ac tech out the other day to look at a couple of things. He suggested that I keep the ac setting on the ON position instead of auto. He said it would keep even airflow through out the house keeping the compressor from coming on to much.He said in ther long run it would save energy? The fan is constantly running so hows does that effect our electric bill? He said the fan running only equals a 100 watt light bulb.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that doesn't make any sense...if you have the fan ON and the a/c ON cooling the house consistantly then your gonna use more energy then the system shutting down all together then running for a short burst...i'm not an electrician by any means, but it just doesn't make sense?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Question

Something to the effect that with the fan on circulating it keeps a more even temp, thus keeping the compressor from turning on more.It takes more amps for the compressor to come on than for the fan to continue to run. His explanation not mine. I was just asking so I dont get a $400 electric bill next month.He also said the electric company crap about keeping your thermostat at 78 in summer and 68 in winter is crap. He keeps his at 72 all year round.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    Had a ac tech out the other day to look at a couple of things. He suggested that I keep the ac setting on the ON position instead of auto. He said it would keep even airflow through out the house keeping the compressor from coming on to much.He said in ther long run it would save energy? The fan is constantly running so hows does that effect our electric bill? He said the fan running only equals a 100 watt light bulb.
    What credentials exactly did this "ac tech" have anyway? That's not accurate. Running the fan all the time?

I run my ac often, but shut my shades during the hottest times of the day. In turn my ac runs less and the house is ALWAYS comfortable

primevil
    2000 FRC

He's right. Where you eat up alot of electricity is when the outside condensing unit kicks on and off all the time. With the indoor unit fan running all the time the cool air in the house is always moving thus maintaining the temperature.

The one drawback..... you're fan motor may need replacing sooner than later.

Just my .02 cents from an engineering point of view.
    Last edited by SleeperC5; 07-18-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

^^ Makes sense to me.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Guess Ill keep the fan on and see what happens with the bill.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    My A/C guy is my Neighbor, I helped him install mine and he told me the same thing. He runs his all the time, so do I. It keeps a constant airflow going and maintains the house cooler so your compressor doesn't work as hard. That is your big electric eater not the little fan.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    My A/C guy is my Neighbor, I helped him install mine and he told me the same thing. He runs his all the time, so do I. It keeps a constant airflow going and maintains the house cooler so your compressor doesn't work as hard. That is your big electric eater not the little fan.
    Told ya !!

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Wink

Cool thanks guys.Never heard of that before and just thought he was some old cooot. I never knew in the on position the actual ac would kick on. Just thought it was the fan.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

it's just very hard to believe...i figured house, even apartment fans, would generate tons of electricity. I think i'll have to check this out...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Its true, also, when your outdoor unit kicks on, the compressor, condensor fan motor, and indoor unit motor all kick on at the same exact time. Running the indoor blower all the time leviates this problem a bit. One way to make your a/c cheaper is to upgrade to a more efficient unit, however, in my neck of the woods (Pennsylvania) upgrading does not pay off as we don't have that hot of weather LONG enough to necessitate the use of more efficient equipment and it just doesn't pay off, very similar to trading in your gas pickup for a diesel pickup which costs (as an example) 5000$ more initially that gets 3mpg better on fuel, however, you trade every two years. It does not pay off.

Regardless I understand where you come from. I'm in my 4th year as an HVAC tech and I'm still in the dark on a lot of things, its called learning. He's not entirely crazy saying leave it on all the time, however, if you find that it doesn't help in the next months electric bill, go back to the way it was and leave it at that. Also, don't turn the t-stat up and down a lot. Air is not something that likes to be monkied with really, its best to set it at a single temperature and leave it be! Don't let your house get to 90 then try to bring it back to 70, it will not happen. We had a call just two days ago "when its 80 in the house we turn the air on and it seems like it never shuts off for 3 hours and only brings it down 5 degrees", well, duh, leave it on for a day and see how it works out for ya! Not only will it be cheaper, but it will also show you that 75 DRY degrees when its 90 and humid out is COLD.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

TSS Don't confuse the window-shaker air conditioners with household units. Also, box fans/pedestal fans are horrible on electricity. I don't remember the exact number, but running i believe 3 or 4 box fans uses as much or more electricity than a central air unit would.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Smile

Im always hot. I use 2 main ceiling fans. One in the living room and one in the master bedroom. I set the air about 76 and keep in there.I turn the fans off when not in the room and back on when returning.Ill keep the ac fan running for this month and see what it comes out too.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I turn the window unit on in my bedroom every night after it cools down (why run it when im not in there?) and leave it set at 70 til morning when I get up. The unit we use to cool the kitchen/dining/living rooms we leave set at 73.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

i agree the fan draws hardly any current.

magnetic red
    2002 corvette vert

Better yet install a FRV unit that controls the fan unit only to run as you program it. I run my on for 9 minutes, off for 20 minutes and it circulates air through the house without the compressor running. You can program at any intervalls you want. Then when temp get too high, the AC kicks in to cool down. Cost - $125 for the controller - benefit - consistant temp through house and lower electric bills

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I run the AC fan on all the time if we actually have hot days that the air needs to be on. It does work.

Black
    2005 GTO

Interesting I think I might give this a try. My electric bill is crazy in the summer for my 2nd floor 2 bedroom 900sq ft apartment. It usually more than my parents that have a 2000+sq ft house with central air and two window units upstairs. My parents think there meter is off but in a good way so they keep there mouth shut about it.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information