midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Hiring a contractor?

Hey guys I had a question and just wanted to make sure I do this right so I don't get screwed over.

I got a large tree in the corner of my lot, trunk is a good 6ft thick and it extends several large branches that overhang my neighbors garage and is a bigger job then me and my chainsaw can handle.

So I just been asking around through my circle of friends trying to find a good deal on getting this thing cut down. I end up talking to a guy I used to go to school with and apparently he has his own business.

The first thing that threw me off was he showed up in a f'n 1982 truck. So already I am thinking, Is this guy not doing to well? No idea on the quality of work but Personally I'm just thinking I want to deal with someone who is legit if ya know what I am saying. So he gives me a business card and no mention of licensed and insured on it, so Now I am really worried...

If something happens such as a limb going through my neighbors roof i don't wanna be on the hook for it.... Does he have to provide me proof of his insurance? Just curious. Part of me wants to help the guy but at the same time I am not risking my neck to do it.

red
    69 Firebird

Unless he's insured, then run away fast and far from him! It should say on his business card that he's insured. If it doesn't, then get someone else.

Different States have different requirements and methods to see if a contractor is insured.

As for his truck, it depends on his experience and the tree. A good arborist (which your contractor likely is not) can show up on a bicycle, with his gear in a backpack, and take down some huge *ss trees without even breaking a sweat in 100F hot and humid weather.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Where in mi are you?

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Up by Flint

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    Up by Flint
    Oh. I know 2 reliable companies, I will see if they're willing to travel that far. Both licensed contractors, fully insured. The only problem, that I could foresee, they may want to charge more to travel and not willing to drive that far for a quote, but I'll still ask.

If it's nearly the size I'm picturing, I'd expect the price to be steep if they're a legit company. Possibly around $3k, if not more. Mine was 1.5k, but it sounds smaller than yours and easier job.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

i just had a huge tree cut down in my backyard about 75 feet tall and 8 feet around. 1875.00 we split with our neighbor. so it wasn't to bad. get me a pic or two my moms boyfriend does this for a living if not to bad he might be interested.

Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

I wouldn't trust without the proper licensure etc... Regardless of how cheap it was. He f%cks up and you're in it way deep. My 2 cents..

Black
    99 Z28

I've never used it, but angieslist.com is supposed to give personal experiences from people on contractors in your area.

Thread Information