Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

high speed chase kills 2 little girls

Last night on the local news there was a police chase that ended when the suspect crashed into another car killing himself and a 8 year old girl and her 9 year old sister. The police refused to say why they where chasing the guy. As far as I am concered onless the guy had just killed some one and they thought he was on his way to kill some one else than the cops who were chasing him should be charged with manslaughter. What do you guys think I feel that with power comes great responsibility. The police are getting out of hand.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    Thomas Jefferson

ALRIGHT NOW wont u listen

though you cant hear..
    i love you sweet leaf!!!

cops suck

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by krusemj View Post
    Last night on the local news there was a police chase that ended when the suspect crashed into another car killing himself and a 8 year old girl and her 9 year old sister. The police refused to say why they where chasing the guy. As far as I am concered onless the guy had just killed some one and they thought he was on his way to kill some one else than the cops who were chasing him should be charged with manslaughter. What do you guys think I feel that with power comes great responsibility. The police are getting out of hand.
    I would like to know why the police were chasing the man before I make any accusations.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Oh come on, that's complete bullshit. It doesn't matter why the cops are chasing him; if you are running from the police, you already have a felony. That makes you a criminal. And this guy just killed two little girls while committing that felony. He should be charged with two counts of murder.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Oh come on, that's complete bullshit. It doesn't matter why the cops are chasing him; if you are running from the police, you already have a felony. That makes you a criminal. And this guy just killed two little girls while committing that felony. He should be charged with two counts of murder.
    True, but thats not to say that the cops shouldn't have backed off when they got into the situation where he wasn't gonna stop.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Why are you saying the cops should have backed off and not the idiots running from them shouldnt have stopped? It is the idiots running from them that are fault here not the cops....

wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar

NBM
    01 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Why are you saying the cops should have backed off and not the idiots running from them shouldnt have stopped? It is the idiots running from them that are fault here not the cops....
    finally someone said it

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

The problem here is, the guy IS obviously an idiot, so the cops should know better. No high speed chase ever ends well. You let the guy go, and you try to find him another time. You chase him through tons of people and cars at high speeds, somethings going to give. Sometimes its only the suspect that gets it, sometimes its the cops, and sometimes its some innocent who had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Cops should know better. In fact, cops DO better, state by state cops are refusing to persue suspects when the chase gets dangerous. Florida just did it a few years back, because a trooper plowed his Camaro through a tree at 120. Now, they arent allowed to have high-speed chases.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

if things were getting out and hand and dangerous then the cops should have backed off. chances were good that they had plate numbers and vehicle description so they could have tracked the car down and set up road blocks to look for the vehicle. if this is the case then i think that the police CONTRIBUTED to the event but are not the cause of it.

if all was going well in the chase and the guy just hit the car then that's completely his fault.

for perspective...

a police officer the next town over was responding to a call and went through a red light and broadsided a girl going through the green light and killed her. there were NO brake skid marks from the police cruiser and observers to the wreck said that the cop NEVER hit his brakes when he had the chance to coming through the intersection. yes the girl should have given the right of way to the police vehicle. he was traveling with lights on but not siren so there is the potential that she never saw him. point being that they are trying to pin the entire accident on the girl because she didn't stop for the cop who was traveling over the speed limit in the dark with no siren on and never braked or swerved to avoid the accident. so who's fault is that? both...her for failure of right of way but also his for all the other reasons. but of course it will turn into all the girls fault because she is dead and the cop is a cop.

long story short the guy driving the car that hit the girls will be found completely at fault no matter what other factors went into the equation.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Sometimes I don't know why I even speak my mind...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    The problem here is, the guy IS obviously an idiot, so the cops should know better. No high speed chase ever ends well. You let the guy go, and you try to find him another time. You chase him through tons of people and cars at high speeds, somethings going to give. Sometimes its only the suspect that gets it, sometimes its the cops, and sometimes its some innocent who had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Cops should know better. In fact, cops DO better, state by state cops are refusing to persue suspects when the chase gets dangerous. Florida just did it a few years back, because a trooper plowed his Camaro through a tree at 120. Now, they arent allowed to have high-speed chases.
    Thank you!

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

So what would you think if a criminal just killed your family and the cops told you they had to let them go since the chase to getting to dangerous? Would you accept that?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Obviously the guy was mental in the head. He had it set in his mind that he wasn't gonna stop. The cops could back off and still be at a safe distance that is enough for the guy to maybe slow down a bit

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    So what would you think if a criminal just killed your family and the cops told you they had to let them go since the chase to getting to dangerous? Would you accept that?
    I didn't say let him go, I said back off a bit. With helicopters and planes, he wouldn't disappear

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    there has to be a balance. if the police feel that things are safe enough to continue then continue...but if they feel that the chase could lead to high collateral damage and the potential for a bad wreck and the loss of life then they should consider backing off. it sucks to say it but one dead is a lot better than 5 dead.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I didn't say let him go, I said back off a bit. With helicopters and planes, he wouldn't disappear
    bingo...other options make a difference...planes, choppers, road blocks, apb's...motorola. a lot of options on the table and yet there are gung-ho cops that want to make that arrest and be the hero...there is a lot of ego behind it and it clouds judgment. sometimes they don't think. but with plates and vehicle description known these people can't hide easily or forever.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The guy was obviously a danger to society and the cops have a duty to stop him and arrest his dumbass.....they train and train to try and keep these types of things as safe as possible.....but reading some of these responses you would think the cops ask the guy if they could chase him.....it is the fault of the dumbshit that ran....not the cops.....they are just doing there job best they can under the circumstances....charge the idiot running from them with double murder....blame him....be pissed off at him....it is 100% his fault and 0% the cops fault here IMHO.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The guy was obviously a danger to society and the cops have a duty to stop him and arrest his dumbass.....they train and train to try and keep these types of things as safe as possible.....but reading some of these responses you would think the cops ask the guy if they could chase him.....it is the fault of the dumbshit that ran....not the cops.....they are just doing there job best they can under the circumstances....charge the idiot running from them with double murder....blame him....be pissed off at him....it is 100% his fault and 0% the cops fault here IMHO.
    Yes, definitly a danger to society. No, I am not mad at the cops. The criminal is to blame. But even law enforcement has brought up the fact that a chase can go to far. Just like how they must decide when it is safe to perform a P.I.T. maneuver, they must decide when it is time to back off, and I don't mean let him go. Alot of chases do and can end up with the criminal getting out of the car and fleeing on foot wether he crashed or found a place where he thought he could hide. Giving him some leeway may have allowed this.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i'm not sayin that the police don't train extensively for this type of thing, but there is always a level of risk that has to be calculated and examined for the justification of continuing the chase. more than like in the vast majority of the chases the level of risk is low enough to justify the chase but in certain instances one must admit that the level of risk is high enough to warrant backing off.

in this case it's more or less a moot point since the guy is dead...can't charge a dead man with a crime and ya can't impose his crime on someone else.

but looking at other instances in the court and judiciary system when you can charge someone with conspiracy or aiding and abedding or party to a crime when that individual may not have even known about the crime taking place...you have to wonder if it is out of line to scrutinize police officers along the same lines.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    that should be the case.....if he was still alive

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information