Black
    1980 Camaro

Hey, I need some advice

I am going to DeVry university to get a degree in Engineering electrical technology and I have to have a senior project. My first thought was well why don't I reconfigure a computer system on a newer engine and hardwire it to an old car. Power plus the light wieght alluminum motor, and the added bonus of the computer regulated and controlled engine. Heres the problem, I have a 1980 camaro, but I have never worked on a LS1. I have only done major work on old cars (i completely restored my camaro my senior year in high school), so I don't have a clue how the ecu's work, or if the bolt patterns of the engines are any different from the old style 5.7 liter. Do I need a new style transmission or will the old one bolt up to it? (Don't worry, its a custom built racing turbo 400, it can handle it) Before I go and buy a LS1, I want to know if there is any major curve ball that will throw the whole thing off. I don't want to mess up my first car, and I don't want to flunk out, so any advice or ideas would really be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980SS View Post
    I am going to DeVry university to get a degree in Engineering electrical technology and I have to have a senior project. My first thought was well why don't I reconfigure a computer system on a newer engine and hardwire it to an old car. Power plus the light wieght alluminum motor, and the added bonus of the computer regulated and controlled engine. Heres the problem, I have a 1980 camaro, but I have never worked on a LS1. I have only done major work on old cars (i completely restored my camaro my senior year in high school), so I don't have a clue how the ecu's work, or if the bolt patterns of the engines are any different from the old style 5.7 liter. Do I need a new style transmission or will the old one bolt up to it? (Don't worry, its a custom built racing turbo 400, it can handle it) Before I go and buy a LS1, I want to know if there is any major curve ball that will throw the whole thing off. I don't want to mess up my first car, and I don't want to flunk out, so any advice or ideas would really be appreciated.
    wrong section.....

Thread Information