Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6

Help! my credit union just raped me

Ok so the background, i have all my money in my savings account, and i transfer so much a month to my checking, just to keep myself from goin overboard on what i spend, and in case someone stole my card, they'd only get perhaps what was in checking, then when the $ hit 0, the card would be declined. I've done it this way for years. Recently, the credit union "turned on" their policies of overdraft fees, and didnt send members a letter regarding this. I had 3 purchases I made, knowing my account was getting low- $1.28, $2.17, and $1.71. Each time, costing me $30 fee for overages. I called up and the woman I talked to told me that they didnt have to tell members that they enacted this policy. So now im out $160. I asked to talk to her supervisor, whom i guess she told the whole story to in the mean time, who basically told me, its my responsibility to manage my money...I thought i was doing that with how i had my account set up...what can i do? I spoke with her manager, who like i said, basically told me to manage my money better, and when i said i want to close my account he just said fine. Nothing like well we can cancel that overage charge just once, or anything. help?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Looks like you're SOL.

Sign up for overdraft protection and lesson learned I guess. Either that, or keep a better padding in your checking. Either way, lesson learned.

Sorry, but, I don't think they are going to reverse those fees.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Wow......not sure what to tell you there. I think they are just hunting for ways to recover their money they lost in forclosures or other stupid investment they have made. probably coming from higher up to.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

they usually do not refund overdraft fees.I have my bank account on my blackberry and my pc so I can check it often and anywhere!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Looks like you're SOL.

Sign up for overdraft protection and lesson learned I guess. Either that, or keep a better padding in your checking. Either way, lesson learned.

Sorry, but, I don't think they are going to reverse those fees.
    I agree.

The most you could do to get back at them is close your accounts there and take your business somewhere else.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

There are only two things a banking instiution is likly to do. Go out of buisness or grow and when they grow even CUs start following the same rules and guideslines that large banks do, which includes becoming less personal with its own customers and more fees. And 20-35 dollar a charge overdraft fees is the norm in the banking world.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

you can go higher. talk to the bank vp. i had a problem with the loan department one time at my credit union. they said i had no credit although i had bought a car and a motorcycle through them so i had credit. the loan officer refused to accept my application for a mortgage on a duplex when she said i had no credit score. i told her to check again and when she got rude and short with me i told her that i wanted to see her boss who was the CU vp. he came in and looked at things and saw that it was their error that my payments had never been reported. he told me to come back in 2 days and everything would be fixed and the mortgage would be ready to go. i've never had a problem of such magnitude since and the loan officer no longer talks to me although i always get a hello, smile and wave from the vp.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

If you want to spend money you don't have, get a credit card and live out the American Dream.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Rob the CU, then use the money you stole to pay the overdraft fees. Problem solved. Oh yeah - don't get caught either.

2003 DSG Cobra

I guess it is just the history you have with your bank. I overdrew a year or so ago and racked up some nice OD fees. Brought a check in and made a deposit and talked with the manager. Got them all waived.

Since they dont want to work with you, change banks.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

definitely go higher up at the credit union. Also remember you are a small fish owner of that credit union. They should beable to assist you and aid you in this in a correct manner. Sounds like the person you talked too, came from a bank.

never heard of a CU not being resonable.

Black
    2001 WS6

thats what i told him. i said it felt like i was dealing with a bank, and thats what i wanted to get away from when i went to a credit union. So when i go there tomorrow, what should i say? i want to show them the recent history of $1.17 or so purchases and tell them it's outrageous to charge someone $30 for somethin less than $2

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

have you tried calling their corporate customer service, instead of dealing with the people at that branch.

I had to do that with my CU a couple times because of lame issue similair to yours.

Black
    2001 WS6

i called the supposed corporate number. i just cant believe they'd treat their customers like this.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

if it's really that bad and you can't get anywhere with the vice pres or other higher channels then start looking for a new place and when you take your money out let the teller know why you are doing it and let the branch vp know why you are doing it as well.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

My God does everyone posting in this thread WORK FOR A BANK??? I ask because you guys sure are parroting the party lines and 'official statements'.

You can absolutely get those overdraft fees back with just a little work on your part.

This is the answer to EVERYONE with overdraft fees: Small claims court

You can run down and file a suit for under $100 and you can add it's cost to the cost that you are seeking to have refunded. What is the bank really going to do... send a representative all the way to your town to argue (most states won't even allow the representative to be a lawyer) to the judge? Nope. Several years back I had a second account that was supposed to roll over and pull from savings if it ever got low. I signed up for the service. I never got it, but I did get FIVE OVERDRAFTS in one day because of it. The bank refused to refund it (It's a MADE UP FEE, it's not like it costs them ANYTHING) so I filed a claim. I got all of the overdrafts back plus the cost of court. You can too.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4679731_over...-refunded.html
    http://consumerist.com/2009/03/threa...-refunded.html
    http://www.timtheoverdraftexpert.com...es-refunded-19
    http://consumerist.com/2008/01/suing...-and-easy.html

Black
    2001 WS6

do credit unions have cd's? and...putting the flame suit on...what is a cd?

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I have nothing put in my checking account except my automatic bill payments. I put a certain amount in savings and withdrawl the rest as cash. So far its worked for me.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

CD = certificate of deposite

A way to save money and get a better interest rate. Those rates suck right now.

Black
    2001 WS6

so i guess saying that i want to open a c/d wouldnt be a good approach. I keep most of my money in my savings, and kind of just give myself a monthly allowance if u will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information