JET BLACK
    99 SS

help!!! meat heads and health nuts!!!

OK, I weigh 220 and is trying to get to 200 or 195 toned lean muscle. Am slightly toned a bit already but still have some problem areas i.e abs and thighs. I want to lose weight but still be stong or stongest I can be. I've been at this weight for a while now with this workout plan. Usually 5 times a week. Starmasters on moderate level for 25 mins, bike on alpine pass high level for 30 mins, upper one day lower the next. All my exercies's I do 4 sets of 15 reps.
    biceps curl
    triceps push down
    lat row
    triceps pull down
    bench incline press
    pectoral butterfly

leg press
    rotary calf
    leg curl
    leg extension
    hip abductors
    and also do 600 ab crunches- 200 front, 200 right, 200 left. but Cant lose any weight whats going on. I dont eat red or pork meat. Eat lot of chicken and turkey, thinking about quiting both tho. Eat lot of fruit veggies and salads. whats the problem? All advice appreciated.

red
    2001 v6 camaro

The biggest thing i have seen is switching up your routine. Your body gets used to the same thing over time and gets better at doing it (ie doesnt work as hard to do it). I say switch it up and you should see some pretty quick results.

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

DONT FORGET MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT,so you may not really have anything to worry about you are just turning fat into muscle

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

why would you wanna lose weight? 220 and turn that into some muscle, hell yea. My friend lifts all kinds of weights and the last thing hes worried about is losing weight, he eats like 6k calories a day, and hes not a body builder but hes a really solid, big guy. again... where's stanger!?!?! he knows what to do, hes a personal trainer and ive adopted him as my personal trainer lol

DO NOT CUT OUT THE PROTEIN, i know that much. You will get no where on just fruits, veggies and salads, you NEED that chicken if you're going to be lifting heavily. You can get protein with beans, legumes, eggs so you dont have to limit yourself to just chicken.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

First off 600 crunches??? That is a main reason why your abs prbably have cheged very little if at all. Your abs are the same as any other muscle on your body, you wouldnt do 600 reps on bench would you? Work out your abs like any other muscle, change up how you work them out and place weights on your chest to really strain the muscle. Some of the best ab workouts are on the ball due to the fact that while sitting on the ball it gives your abs little to no time to rest. To see solid changes in your abs concentrate on your obliques/the sides, and your lower back, and the big one is cardio. Your body stores fat on top of your abdominals, by doing a good mix of cardio and the right ab workouts you should start to see a change. As for lifting muscle confusion is a huge part of lifting. I change my work out up every two weeks. For your goals I would start lifting realitivly light weights, still challenging but enough that you can do high reps, 15 to 25. By doing that it will burn fat and make your muscles more lean. It would be hard to lose weight and try and build at the same time, so get down to the wight your happy with then start to lift heavy. And your diet plays a huge factor on what you are trying to achieve. Good luck and stay committed.
    Last edited by 98T/Aformula.; 07-08-2009 at 12:17 PM.

silver
    1999 T/A WS6 A4

This is old but true, abs are made in the kitchen not the gym. Pretty simple just use more calories than you take in. And like what was mentioned before DO NOT STOP THE PROTEIN or you will lose muscle. Might want to think about a protein supplement (powdered or premixed) I prefer the powder cheaper and more conveniet.
    The 8 to 12 range on reps, lifting heavy, is better for building muscle, which imho helps burn more fat, but everyones different.
    And as mentioned before SLOW down on the abs 600 is way too many, and mix up the routine
    I've been losing fat and putting on muscle so I know it can be done I've lost 125 lbs since last June, got a little more on the stomach to go. Personaly I havn't really paid attention to weight lose the last couple of months more into building muscle now but the last of the fat is still slowly going (10.6 bf this month, last month was 12.4), hell I look better than most people my age, 43

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

I do about 200 reps for ab excercises 6 days a week and I'm in really good shape. You're doing WAY too much.

With that said, you can't just pinpoint fat burn. It will be all over. Keep at the cardio. That's the best way to lose weight along with calorie depriving your body(at a reasonable level though). Eat clean.

And like the other posts have said, building muscle helps to burn fat. The more muscular you are, the more calories during the day will be burned just by the muscles themselves.

This is coming from someone who started at 185 pounds and 15% body fat in January of 2008 and now I'm up to 200 pounds and 8% body fat. That's about 60 pounds lean muscle.

JET BLACK
    99 SS

Thanks for the help. so more time on cardio preferably, 45 mins on the stairs not 25 mins, and lighter weights. I already do 15 reps so bring it down a bit, cuz im kind of gettin a lot of mass. stay with the chicken eggs fruit and veggies. I dont know about the abs tho, seems like u can do them forever???

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Quote Originally Posted by khickenwang View Post
    I dont know about the abs tho, seems like u can do them forever???
    Not if you do them right. I am in really good shape and work on abs quite a bit and with what I do I struggle doing sets of 15. Slow down when you do them speed is not the key on any workout besides cardio.

Thread Information