Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

Help me settle a NASCAR debate

I was talking with a few guys from work about nascar. A couple religously watch it, another and I watch it here and there, and the last hates it. Anyways, we talking about how it was before Ernhardt's crash. I dont remember as much advertising and sponsorship then and I also remember the drivers being more aggressive, like more smack talk and reckless driving. Did it seem more enternaining then than now or is it the same now as 10+ yrs ago?

Discuss

327-TPI/A4
    1992 Trans am

now a days nascar(if you want to call it that) sucks. Between rule changes and whining drivers....lack of fights and rivalries

hell you bump someone wrong and here comes nascar to fins the hell out of you and make you look like a dumbass

IMHO earnhardt was fun to watch because he'd spin people out and piss people off. Nascar wouldnt do shit either.

But anywho.......i will watch the daytona(for crashes lol) race this year and thats it....its not worth watching any other races.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

nascar sucks. /thread

20K+ posts in 2004

None
    None

There are still plenty of rivalries and fights. Sure sponsors are part of it but the reason for me it sucks...the cars.

The Pontiac GP didn't look like the MC, the Dodge was new, and the Ford still had the T-Bird/Taurus.

Now the cars don't look ilke anything production wise..

`93 &`72 Camaro Z28

Nascar nowadays tries too hard to dictate every movement of every driver. They try too hard to make it a 'family sport', not to mentioned ruined racing with the new Car of Tomorrow. Single file racing at most tracks with cars that look like rice burners. Last I recalled I dont remember seeing American Muscle with wings! I used to watch it religously but anymore it wouldn't bother me to miss the entire season... JMO

Nothing special
    Nothing special

NASCAR is indeed a shadow of its former self.

Driver quality and skill has been pushed to the wayside in favor of a face. It's why the same drivers win consistently. I'd love it Gordon became his old self, if Johnson would occasionally lose it and punch an old lady or something. The only people worth watching are Tony Stewart, and the guy that got in trouble for a DUI or something. He's always wrecking people and spouting off at the mouth.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Dale was the shit, when drivers seen him in their mirrors they pretty much shat their pants. They knew he was getting around them someway somehow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

after all is said and done it comes down to the racing. The new car helped IMO but the racing still isn't as good as it was in the 80's and even into the early 90's. It's all about how smooth you can get around the track these days.
    Nascar has come down on the drivers a lot more in recent years and that's more about image than anything else. They're trying to get away from the redneck fight club image they have but the problem is that's what the fans want. As far as advertisements Dale Sr. ushered that in. He was the first driver to attack endorsements and trademark his name. He led the way for a lot of these drivers and sponsors.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    after all is said and done it comes down to the racing. The new car helped IMO but the racing still isn't as good as it was in the 80's and even into the early 90's. It's all about how smooth you can get around the track these days.
    Nascar has come down on the drivers a lot more in recent years and that's more about image than anything else. They're trying to get away from the redneck fight club image they have but the problem is that's what the fans want. As far as advertisements Dale Sr. ushered that in. He was the first driver to attack endorsements and trademark his name. He led the way for a lot of these drivers and sponsors.
    That was well said i thought you would rip into the NASCAR thing all together but.....well said

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by DirtWad View Post
    Nascar nowadays tries too hard to dictate every movement of every driver. They try too hard to make it a 'family sport', not to mentioned ruined racing with the new Car of Tomorrow. Single file racing at most tracks with cars that look like rice burners. Last I recalled I dont remember seeing American Muscle with wings! I used to watch it religously but anymore it wouldn't bother me to miss the entire season... JMO
    Dodge Daytona? Plymouth Superbird? GTO Judge? All from 1970. All had "wings".....

Black
    '99 SS

What do Dale Earnhart Sr. and Pink Floyd have in common?
    Their last big hit was "The Wall".

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    nascar sucks. /thread
    /agree

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

It is going the way of every other form of entertainment. It is getting washed down to make it "family friendly". It is just like nets around the hockey arena. What next, nets at foul territory in baseball because someone dies and people complain about it not being safe?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    It is going the way of every other form of entertainment. It is getting washed down to make it "family friendly". It is just like nets around the hockey arena. What next, nets at foul territory in baseball because someone dies and people complain about it not being safe?
    I'm not completely against that. Unsafe doesn't mean better sports. A few years ago a 10 year old girl here took a hockey puck to the throat and killed her. No big deal until it's your little girl. You shouldn't have to put your life at risk to go watch an event. That has nothing to do with how the sport is played on the other side of the net. The reason nascar is washing it down is money. The sponsors dictate what happens in the sport and they don't want their company logo to be on a hood that flies into the crowd and kills people. Nothing wrong with that. I watched the daytona where earnhardts trunk lid flew into the crowd....didn't kill anyone but I bet it hurt like hell when it landed.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

GET RID OF THE DAMN RESTRICTOR PLATES!!!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I'm not completely against that. Unsafe doesn't mean better sports. A few years ago a 10 year old girl here took a hockey puck to the throat and killed her. No big deal until it's your little girl. You shouldn't have to put your life at risk to go watch an event. That has nothing to do with how the sport is played on the other side of the net. The reason nascar is washing it down is money. The sponsors dictate what happens in the sport and they don't want their company logo to be on a hood that flies into the crowd and kills people. Nothing wrong with that. I watched the daytona where earnhardts trunk lid flew into the crowd....didn't kill anyone but I bet it hurt like hell when it landed.
    But if you know it could be unsafe then you should take precautions. If you sit further away from the action you reduce the risk. You should always pay attention when at any sporting event. Things happen and it is sad, but you cant remove all chance of injury or death from your life unless you don't leave your house.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

The car of tomorrow was brought about to try and reduce the cost the teams put into racing. That way the richest guy or team doesn't always win. Well of course teams find other ways to spend money to make their car superior. Also the car of tomorrow brought more safety to drivers. Dale Sr's death attributed alot towards that. Like 0rion said....corporate sponsors don't want their name associated with someone's death. Whether it's a driver or a fan in the stands who just ate the deck lid of a car being wrecked.

The COT has it's pro's and con's. It doesn't flip over so easy from being tapped at talladega or daytona. It can take a pretty good hit and not be ripped to shreds and unable to compete. I've seen many times now a car get completely sideways yet the driver can save it from wrecking. Also the inspection process for those have cut out alot of the cheating. Well let's just say it's going to be a little longer before teams start figuring out where they can slip in between the grey area's of the rule books. Cars are pretty equal in competition....which is what nascar intended from it's inception. So with those things it's made life better for the drivers and teams, but yeah all the yahoo's that just want to see wrecks are disappointed.

I agree today's nascar is more corporate and family oriented. Hey, nascar isn't stupid and they know to keep the cash cow happy. So they police the drivers and teams more so that america can watch it without worry that a driver is going to either sound like an idiot or cuss during the broadcast.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    What do Dale Earnhart Sr. and Pink Floyd have in common?
    Their last big hit was "The Wall".

/agree
    What do Tonik and Hot Black Trans-Am have in common?? They're a banned of brothers.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I don't think you'll do it.......... I double dog dare you.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

I don't think you'll do it.......... I double dog dare you.
    Don't push me 0rion.....so help me I'll do it!!!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Don't push me 0rion.....so help me I'll do it!!!!!

move their posts to my area and I'll do it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information