Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    01 Trans Am

Help me pick out an SUV

Hey all. So my g/f and I were looking at trading in her civic for a GTO. We are always taking our 4wheelers down to the river and I'm getting tired of trading my T/A for a buddies truck for the weekend. So we've scratched the GTO idea and we're gonna trade her car for an SUV (I tried for a truck, but since we're trading her car and not mine I had to give in a little). Here's what I'm thinking about. A Mitsu Outlander, an Xterra, or MAYBE a 4Runner. The 4Runners run about 30000. I wasn't wanting to spend that much, but seems like I ALWAYS spend more than I say I'm going to.
    Anybody have any experience with one of these, or know of something similar that I'm overlooking. I want an 03 or newer. And not another honda. Hers has been GREAT, no problems whatsoever, I just think that they look cheaply built on the inside. Thanks.

Trail Blazer SS

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie
    Trail Blazer SS
    FTW!
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I know two guys who have 4Runners and they love them. One of them in particular goes offroading a lot and has never been stranded. Very dependable with few problems.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

I am not a Ford guy, but I rented a Lincoln Navigator last year and that was one sweet ride. It is, however, a bit pricey but there was no expense spared on the one I got for a weekend.

read some reviews on the Xterra , not a lot of great things to say about them. 4 runner is very reliable and sporty/luxury all in one. another option would be the new FJ Cruiser if you want something a little flashier but kind of cartoonish. id go with a 2001 or newer 4 Runner- prob. can get a nice one for $12-15K

Last edited by whitelightnin99; 06-07-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

checked around on a couple sites ...
    top seller is the H3 .....worst resale is the Blazer ...
    alot liked the Ford escape hybrid....
    just food for thought ...

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Have you thought about the Jeep Grand Cherokee? You can easily find one that is 1-2 years old that will fall below your price ceiling. They are great vehicles. I have had 2. When I got my H2 I could not get rid of the Grand Cherokee so now I have both. You can get maybe an '04 Limited with the 4.7 H.O. V8. They make about 260hp and something like 335lb/ft. They weigh right at 4000lbs, but they can tow 7000lbs. Mine gets about 21mpg on the freeway and averages about 16.5 in mixed driving. I have 78K miles so far and not one thing has gone wrong with it. ANd the way I drive it, if something was going to go wrong with it, it would have by now. They off-road better then anything in their class by far also.

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

Black
    01 Trans Am

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't really given much thought to the jeep. I haven't been in a newer one. The newest one I was in was an early 90s. It was a piece and felt like it was gonna roll over when the wind blew. We've been doing some more looking online and she is really starting the like the Isuzu Ascender 5 passenger. It has a great warranty and fairly cheap too. The only thing that is gonna get pulled with it is a small trailer just big enough for 2 4 wheelers, so towing isn't that big of a concern. As long as it has a v6 it will do fine. I'll let you guys know what we decide to get. And who knows we may put if off for awhile, but we are gonna go to okc tomorrow and look around.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb
    Have you thought about the Jeep Grand Cherokee? You can easily find one that is 1-2 years old that will fall below your price ceiling. They are great vehicles. I have had 2. When I got my H2 I could not get rid of the Grand Cherokee so now I have both. You can get maybe an '04 Limited with the 4.7 H.O. V8. They make about 260hp and something like 335lb/ft. They weigh right at 4000lbs, but they can tow 7000lbs. Mine gets about 21mpg on the freeway and averages about 16.5 in mixed driving. I have 78K miles so far and not one thing has gone wrong with it. ANd the way I drive it, if something was going to go wrong with it, it would have by now. They off-road better then anything in their class by far also.
    +1 on Jeep Grand Cherokee. My gf has a 2000 and we take it everywhere, including really rough trails in Mexico. It has been pretty trouble-free, no major probs. I helped her brother buy a 1996 G.C. He still drives it to this day. Hers rides like a luxury car. Just make sure you get it with 4 wheel drive. It doesn't make sense to have a Jeep and not be able to go everywhere with it.
    So yeah, I vote for either a 4runner or a Jeep G.C.

I do NOT recommend the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had one prior to buying my
    Envoy. The Envoy is superior by far. It is roomier, gets better gas mileage, comes equipped with a towing package, can pull more, and I haven't had to shell out a single dollar for repairs. With the Jeep, there was always something.

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Trail Blazer SS
    I have to agree.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I do NOT recommend the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had one prior to buying my
    Envoy. The Envoy is superior by far. It is roomier, gets better gas mileage, comes equipped with a towing package, can pull more, and I haven't had to shell out a single dollar for repairs. With the Jeep, there was always something.

Click for full size
    I am also liking my Envoy. I can even hook up EFI to it

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

well with the gf's jeep and her brothers, no, there isn't always something going wrong, at least with these two. they've been dependable to the proverbial fault.

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Mine is as well. You can really tell the difference between the Jeeps before the Mercedes take-over and after.

And the GC and Envoy Denali (v8) have the same towing capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    well with the gf's jeep and her brothers, no, there isn't always something going wrong, at least with these two. they've been dependable to the proverbial fault.
    I know several people that have had problems with the newer ones and that's reflected in Consumer Reports.

Black
    01 Trans Am

Well we went looking last night after the dealers shut down. Neither one of us really like the jeep too much but its still an option if we find one at a good price. Right now the top 2 picks are between the 4runner and the highlander. I completly forgot about those little bastards. We're going to go test drive a few tomorrow.
    I think we're going to have to sell her civic privately because she owes 10000, its worth 9000 or so trade in, and kbb lists it at 11300 private party value. Its an 02 with 50000 miles very well taken care of and it has a transferrable warranty that covers everything up to 100000 miles, with a $50 deductable. But the warranty is void if you trade in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb
    And the GC and Envoy Denali (v8) have the same towing capacity.
    I was refering to the six cylinder versions of each as that it what I own.

Yea the Envoy is sweet & so are the Trailblazer's, esp the SS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information