Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Red face Help with future (military)

Hey i'm 17 and a senior in high school, i'm considering going into the air force and i want to enlist but my parents want me to do ROTC. I'm uncertian about what i want to do in college so i dont like that idea, i plan to do OTS officer's training school when i enlist because of my good grades.

I dont know what to do, i want to go into the military and i am in the final steps of applying to the Coast Guard Academy, which would be where i would go if i was accepted, yet those chances are slim.

I know there are a lot of people on this board that have served, and i'd really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks , Jeff

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

my father has been out of a job for over a year so money is an issue, for college, and the ROTC will only offer scholarships to certian majors and being i dont know what i want to do, it is a gamble

i figure if i go enlisted, i'll be able to know what i want to go to college for afterward, and that when enlisted i can work my way up the totempoll to hopefully officer

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

a little more background info;

I took AP chem last year and got a 4 on AP exam
    I'm taking AP calc, and Physics this year

aka, i do pretty well in school

I want to go air force because they are technical, i just dont know which is the best way to start out.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    my father has been out of a job for over a year so money is an issue, for college, and the ROTC will only offer scholarships to certian majors and being i dont know what i want to do, it is a gamble

i figure if i go enlisted, i'll be able to know what i want to go to college for afterward, and that when enlisted i can work my way up the totempoll to hopefully officer
    I'm speaking AF right now, i'm not sure how all the other services work.

If you enlist you don't "work your way up to officer." Your enlisted. You can try to put in a package to go to OTS but it's kind of an iffy thing.

If you really want officer, go officer after college. You can enlist and do college when your in. Maybe when you enlistments up you can go to OTS. You will not go until you have your 4 year degree.

Shorty
    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    a...
    I want to go air force because they are technical, i just dont know which is the best way to start out.
    I think the technical aspect of the Air Force will bite you in the a$$. I wouldn't consider the AF more technical beyond the Army or Navy. Just depends on what field you get in to. If your recruiter said the AF is more technical, your getting ripped.

Based on what you have written, I appreciate you not trying to go Marine. The Marines are more chain saw than technical. Good luck.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Airforce is for women........ Anyway, doesn't the gov pay for school for you butter bar guys? I thought there's an option that if you're a major brain they'll pay for 4 years of school and then they'll own your ass after that. Best thing to do is go see ther recruiter....but if his lips start movin he's lying Mainly go for all the brochures and anything else that's is WRITTEN down that specifies the requirements for OCS and all that. While you're there..skip on down to the USMC recruiter...he'll hook ya up

Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

I'm AF and IMO it's the best service to be in. I would also recommend doing whatever you can to get your degree before you join and come in as an officer. It will be very hard to go to school while your enlisted, especially if you are involved directly with maintaining aircraft. It can be done, I'm doing it, but it's a VERY slow process. And a lot of my free time is spent. If I could do it all again, I would go ROTC and come in as an officer. That being said, I still have a great time as enlisted. Either route is a good choice, choose what you think is best for you. Good luck.

From everyone I've talked to....it's best to go to college first. Get school loans if you have to. College will give you an idea of what you want to do as well...rather than have to be miserable in a job for 4 years that you hate.

Black/Black
    96 Vert Z28-RIP/94 TT Z28

I'm former enlisted Air Force and I think the Air Force is the best service to join if you want to get in some school and have a regular work schedule, but if you want to be an officer it is best to get your degree first because getting into OTS after being enlisted is a long process and it will take you longer than 4 years in the military to get your 4-year degree than if you get the degree first. There's more money being an officer than enlisted but from what I saw a lot of the officer's I worked with weren't really balling cause of all the student loans they were paying, shit I had a better car than half the officers in my squadron. Regardless of what service you choose it will be a good choice because you will experience a lot in either branch. Don't join the military for the money though because it's not that much and it's the wrong reason to join, join because you want to serve your country and better yourself as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by GOODZ/BADZ
    Don't join the military for the money though because it's not that much and it's the wrong reason to join, join because you want to serve your country and better yourself as a person.
    ... and are ok with they the fact that you may have to give up your life fighting in a war that you don't agree with or believe in.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I never met a "happy" liberal^
    Money for college is everywhere...check out various student loan programs with the goverment...and private lending institutions...go to college first....then you have much more control over your destiny in your chosen field...also....at 17 you think you want something....at 21/22 you have a totally different percpective.......

Black
    00 SS Vert#0540/ 14 GMC

Here is your advise. Just because you got good grades in high school, doesnt necessarily mean that your going to automaticly be accepted into some kind of Officer Canidate School. In order to even be in OCS for the Marine Corps, you either have to have FINISHED college, or be in college, full time. Lets talk about techincal skills. Again, dont be so narrow minded to say that "only" the Air Force has tech skills. All services have tech skills, and all of the qualifing scores are the same. SO, with that being said, you decided what service is best for you. Now one more thing to keep in mind. Only 10% of America's population can become a MARINE!! Good luck with your decision.

Robert J. Hastings
    SSgt USMC
    ACTIVE

tonyrssll
    If you don't want to go to the Air Force or Coast Guard Academy you can do different programs in the Air Force. One will pay you E-5 pay while you attend school of your choice and after you get your degree you go to OTS and become an officer. The downside is, if they pay for 4 years of school you owe them 8 years of service. Also you will be enlisted in the Air Force Reserve and will have to do drill once a month. I believe it's called boot strap program. I'm not 100% sure on everything so do some research.
    Last edited by tonyrssll; 02-08-2006 at 05:22 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
    Here is your advise. Just because you got good grades in high school, doesnt necessarily mean that your going to automaticly be accepted into some kind of Officer Canidate School. In order to even be in OCS for the Marine Corps, you either have to have FINISHED college, or be in college, full time. Lets talk about techincal skills. Again, dont be so narrow minded to say that "only" the Air Force has tech skills. All services have tech skills, and all of the qualifing scores are the same. SO, with that being said, you decided what service is best for you. Now one more thing to keep in mind. Only 10% of America's population can become a MARINE!! Good luck with your decision.

Robert J. Hastings
    SSgt USMC
    ACTIVE
    Amen....back in the day.....in the shit...fucking jarheads giving comm support and directing fire did their job...and did it very well.....more to it than toting a gun around and the USMC has some of the top tech folks out there....Amen Brother Hastings.....and I aint USMC...but I'm still here because of 'em....

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ

Robert J. Hastings
    SSgt USMC
    ACTIVE
    I agree 100% with you Rob. I am a Former Marine, but am in the National Guard. I have been in the Aviation field my whole time. That is pretty technical if you ask me. Once a Marine always a Marine!!!

NBM
    '00 Z28

I'm Army, so, this is the way I see things...
    If you want a high standard of living, but slow (and I mean really slow) promotions, go Air Force.
    If you want to make rank fast, and don't mind a slightly lower standard of living, go Army.
    If you want to do all the Hooah stuff in the world, go Marine Corp.
    If you want to travel all the time, go Navy.

I know the Army pretty damn well since I've been in for 7 years. So, if you were to join the Army Reserve or the Army National Guard, I know that you'll have a lot of opportunity to become an officer.

You'll probably come in enlisted. Go to basic and AIT. Come home, and go to college. You can go to an ROTC program while in college, or not if you don't want to. But, you can always put in a packet to receive a direct commission and then go to OCS (officer canidate school). Going officer will stop all school benefits that you may have signed up for, but you will also be eligible for other benefits. So, talk to a recruiter who knows his stuff about that.

Anyway, good luck. Like I said, I've been in for 7 years, and I love it. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Here is the kicker. Tell anyone you was in the Air force and they say " thats nice" Tell anyone you were/are a Marine and it is " Wow is it as tuff as they say" and you get a whole conversation going. Marines do a lot of things in the field and have some of the highest tech stuff there is. We have our own Wing and do alot with the Navy. Marines do all , all the time. I have talked to alot of guys from the other services and none are as tight as the Marines.

BIGRED Z
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan
    I'm speaking AF right now, i'm not sure how all the other services work.

If you enlist you don't "work your way up to officer." Your enlisted. You can try to put in a package to go to OTS but it's kind of an iffy thing.

If you really want officer, go officer after college. You can enlist and do college when your in. Maybe when you enlistments up you can go to OTS. You will not go until you have your 4 year degree.
    Or if you do "work your way up" It takes about 20-40 years...Especially when you get up around E-7-E-9 lol. Go to college get a 2 yr degree in something that interests you then go in as an officer. Being enlisted sucks major ass.

Lori<-------ex Navy

BIGRED Z
    Oh and one more thing, someone mentioned money, if you're wanting money, the military is the LAST place to be. Almost all rates pay more in the civilian world, unless it's pretty specialized, hazard duty pay, imminent danger pay etc.

Lori

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    I never met a "happy" liberal^
    Money for college is everywhere...check out various student loan programs with the goverment...and private lending institutions...go to college first....then you have much more control over your destiny in your chosen field...also....at 17 you think you want something....at 21/22 you have a totally different percpective.......
    Damn i didnt even read the rest of the thread BUT that is the best shit ive heard so far. agree agree agree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information