BOOSTD

HELP, cell phone signal problems.

I have had to deal with this problem since I moved into this apartment and its really beging to Pi$$ me off. I bairly get any cell phone signal inside my apartment. Its so bad that I have to go outside of my house to get a signal. To make the problem worse, I dont have a home phone (saves money), so I need to be able to use my cell phone at my house.

The craziest part of my phone problems is that I can stand still in one spot of my house and look at my signal bars. They will stay consistantly at 2/6 bars; enough to make a call. So I dial the number and hit send. Within 5 seconds I can watch the signal bars drop to nothing and then my phone says "Call Failed". I end the call and hold the phone in the same spot. This time I see 3 bars. Great, now I can make a call. So I dial the number and THE BARS DROP TO ZERO AND I LOSE MY CALL!

What is the problem here? Is there anyway I can fix it? Im lucky that I haven't had an emergency yet, but its scary to think what might happen if I NEEDED my phone only for it to keep psyching me out while I lay on the floor dying or something.

thanks

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Who is your carrier/service provider? I know most say it doesn't matter because lots of carriers share towers but I have had the same experience with Verizon!

It seamed that my house is strategically located at the outer fringe of 3 Verizon towers. As a result I had the same damn problem. Call in the house forget it. Go out in the back yard and no problem, especially if I faced South!

We recently switched back to Cingular, got the RAZR and Life is bliss. Damn thing even works in the crapper!

Note: We went through 4 different models of phones with Verizon trying to troubleshoot this problem. I had this problem when I lived at Patrick AFB in base housing, and same issue with the same then different phones up here in Port St. John. 25 Miles north of the Base.

I see you live in Carbondale, been there many times, my Wife was born and raised in Marion. We both have relatives all over that area. Her family uses Verizon up there in Southern IL and they have no problems. When they have come here to visit they almost always lose service. So ask around and find out who has issues with what service. Also ask your service provider to do a software update and update your roaming (looks for and locks onto new towers). Go to a Corporate store, not one of those street corner or Mall Kiosks!

Good Luck!

BOOSTD
    Ya, I forgot to mention that. My survice provider is Cingular and I have a RAZR phone. It seems to be the best service arround here, but I still have bad reception inside my house.

Ive never had problems anywhere else...aint that something?

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by BOOSTD
    Ya, I forgot to mention that. My service provider is Cingular and I have a RAZR phone. It seems to be the best service around here, but I still have bad reception inside my house.

Ive never had problems anywhere else...aint that something?
    Weird! I would definitely pay a visit to the Corp Store! The RAZR has the best reception and signal strength (GSM) of any previous phone I've owned.

What type of construction is the house/appt? CBS (Concrete Block Stucco)? Wood or metal frame? Old brick building? Sometimes that has an effect. Especially with lots of metal. 1st, 2nd, 3rd floor? May need to have a booster antenna installed inside Heard somewhere that was an option for situations like this! ?

My house on base had better reception inside on the 2nd floor near the South facing windows. . . Front Yard Facing South toward Melbourne, 4 bars. .Back Yard facing North. . No Bars. .Roaming. . . Go Figure!

Most newer houses down here are CBS, including the one I live in.

Or, you may just have misfortune of moving into a dead spot. They do exist.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by RainMan; 04-04-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Red
    2001 WS6

Chech this place out. I bought the first antenna listed and it works great. I am in the same situation as you with working outside but not inside. If it is real bad you may have to get an amp also and those are kind of expensive. You will need the ant and the adapter to mate it to the phone you have. Like I said I am using the first one that is a magnetic mount and supposed to go on top of a car but it works fine in the house. better if you stick it to the top of the fridge because that gives it a ground plane. Hope that helps.

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.co...idCategory=144

Thread Information