Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Is he bullshitting?

My dads friend told me he bought a car in NY, but he lives in NJ. Now this car doesn't have cats just an off road H-pipe. He told me he takes it to a sppedshop in NY to get inspection done privatley. The sticker on his car says it's good untill 2012 but that's NY inspection. Once the cars comes into NJ doesn't it need to be reinspected once he gets it registered and gets the plates? He said as long as it's inspected somewhere in America it doesn't matter.

?????

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    My dads friend told me he bought a car in NY, but he lives in NJ. Now this car doesn't have cats just an off road H-pipe. He told me he takes it to a sppedshop in NY to get inspection done privatley. The sticker on his car says it's good untill 2012 but that's NY inspection. Once the cars comes into NJ doesn't it need to be reinspected once he gets it registered and gets the plates? He said as long as it's inspected somewhere in America it doesn't matter.

?????

According to New Jerseys govt site you must have it inspected in NJ within 14 days of registering it there. So your dads friend of full of shit imo unless there is some loophole he knows about.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

I went a whole year without getting plates ect when I moved to jersey. all he has to do...or not do is register it. keep the NY plates,inspection,ect and he is good. but yea once you register a car in nj you are supposed to have all the NJ stuff on it withen 14 days. but like I said there are loopholes around just about everything.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

NY doesn't look for cats when inspecting. NJ does. He will fail NJ emmissions without cats if the inspector looks underneath.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Ny looks for cats unless you get someone shady. How did he get a sticker that says 2012? It is done yearly here. What year and model of car are you talking about?

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

when you move/bring a car in from another state you are required to register it with "X" amount of days. granted if you dont register it you dont have to worry about the inspection, but i think you can also be cited.

wait, how did this friend register it in another state? even if they bought it there, they have to transfer the title and being the mailing address is in jersey, how can they get plates from ny?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Is his business in NY, He can use that address for registration and claim vehicle is a company vehicle.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thats what I dont understand. Even if he doesnt pay it off all at once, hes gonna have to get it insured at least. Then they could catch him. But yeah once the bank/person releases the title his adress is gonna show up. The car is a mustang gt and its his primary vehicle. Yeah he has to be on crack or something...DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!

Thread Information