Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HDTV's

Cool HDTV's

two questions:
    1) Why does everyone seem to be going away from the plasma's and switching to the LCD TV's?
    2) What HDTV has the clearest picture that is fairly priced in the over 40"(hoping actually for a 50 or so) or what TV would you recommend in this area and why? Thanks for all the help.

Black
    2000 TA

I went from a 32" 720p LCD to my new 42" 1080p Plasma and I am not looking back. I love my new Hitachi Plasma. The LCD got moved to the bed room.

Why did you buy a Hitachi vs. other brands?

Black
    2000 TA

Becuase of the picture quality and the price.I was looking at an LG right next to it coming from the same HD source and the Hitachi was much sharper and about $300 cheaper. We switched inputs a few different times at the store to test it and it was always cleaner then the LG and about the same as the samsung only it was about $400 cheaper. I realy couldnt see a difference between it and the samsung so I went with the Hitachi.

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

I did alot of research on HDTV's so what I am about to say is just my opinion, based on my needs and what I think I learned.

For you first question. Plasma HDTVs - If you have alot of light in the room you are placing the tv they have a lot of reflection. I have also had many friends that purchased the plasmas and have had issues. Also some places no longer sell the plasmas due to issues. Plus a friend that sells hdtv told me to stay away from them. I think sony has even quit making plasmas.

Second question. I went with the Toshiba 52". Love the picture quality. I have only had the thing for a month, and have had no problems at all. Also price played a part. I paid 2400. So it was hands down what I wanted.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I live in Colorado. Plasmas don't do well at altitude. I have a Sony Bravia 46" lcd.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i went lcd because they do better in high light areas....and as stated alot of manufactures are getting out of the plasma deal.....dlp is another good platform just heavier and bulkier

From what I have seen of past TV's I like the JVC's, Toshiba's, and Sony's........Has anyone seen them side by side? How do they compare picture quality and price wise? I also noticed that Sony no longer makes the larger plasma's, that is why I asked question number one actually. Does anyone know where the best deals price wise are? Thanks.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by Liquifire View Post
    From what I have seen of past TV's I like the JVC's, Toshiba's, and Sony's........Has anyone seen them side by side? How do they compare picture quality and price wise? I also noticed that Sony no longer makes the larger plasma's, that is why I asked question number one actually. Does anyone know where the best deals price wise are? Thanks.
    Bought mine on ebay, saved $800 from getting it at any of the local places (best buy, circuit city etc....) Costco is a great place to buy one as well.

Black
    1999 Trams Am WS6

I just got a Samsung 50" Plasma 1080p from C.C.

Picked the plasma because the light reflection problem is fixed, the heat problem is a non issue, don't have to worry about pixel response time and screen brightness, and viewing andgle like you do on an LCD. LCDs are way more expensive at that size. Samsung has an anti burn in technology plus two ways to correct picture retention if it does happen.

The picture is great! Vey happy with it.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

I currently have a 32" Westinghouse w/ an amazing picture for the price but Im in love with the Samsung 42" I think..

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    I live in Colorado. Plasmas don't do well at altitude. I have a Sony Bravia 46" lcd.
    How much did that cost you?

Black
    2000 TA

yeah I dont seem to have any issues listed with my Plasma. I know they have come a long way though.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    How much did that cost you?
    I can't remember, it was last december. I was pricing the model I got and spent 2 weeks finding the best deal. Ebay beat them all out of the water. Like I said Beat best buy by $800. I think I paid $1850 shipped to my door.

2nd last of the lt1s EVAR 94z28l's Avatar

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

you do realize the pioneers and panasonics are rated to over 9k feet above sea level? and lg has a testing facility in leadville? thats a myth about plasma's having issues at altitude

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

www.avsforum.com go there, any tv thats currently on the market has been reviewed there. no one tv works for everyone and neither does one specific technology. dont look just at price and brand look in to what each model gives you for that price before you make a decision. dont base your decision just on what people reccomend to you either, actually go to stores and see the tv's in person and know what to look for

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Best buy is the best place around here to buy one or order one online with free shipping. The bad thing about Plasma is the bulb price. I'd go LCD. If you have room I would go with the DLP. I got a 50 some inch Hitachi 1080i last winter for $600 from best buy. Wait for a couple of weeks before xmas when the put out their really good deals like I did. I just wanted a cheap TV at the time as was going to get a 32", but I got this for about the same price.

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Best buy is the best place around here to buy one or order one online with free shipping. The bad thing about projection tv's is the bulb price. I'd go LCD. If you have room I would go with the DLP *these have the expensive bulbs*. I got a 50 some inch Hitachi 1080i last winter for $600 from best buy. Wait for a couple of weeks before xmas when the put out their really good deals like I did. I just wanted a cheap TV at the time as was going to get a 32", but I got this for about the same price.
    fixed i think best buy nationwide has a 60 day price match gurantee so you can buy about now and if the tv goes on sale any time between now and christmas at best buy or a competitor they'll match it

purple pearl metalic
    1994 Z28 Camaro

you might get a good price by buying it online but if something goes wrong with it or it arrives broken or if you just get ripped off it could be a bitch to deal with, not sayin it always happens just a possibility

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information