Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hdtv

Blue

Hdtv

Thinking of buying an HDTV was in wal mart and the one I looked at said about buying some sort of attachment,wtf,If im gonna spend 800.00 for a TV it better be ready to go. any1 have expierence with these HDTV's? Links Help lol

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

this is a little vague. What is the model tv? What did it say you needed to add? maybe it was telling you you need a hd box. Most come HD ready.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

+1 I think they meant you need an HD box. $800 is pretty cheap for HD unless its like a 20 incher or something.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    +1 I think they meant you need an HD box. $800 is pretty cheap for HD unless its like a 20 incher or something.
    ok whats a hd box? and how much

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

http://cgi.ebay.com/SAMSUNG-DIGITAL-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Direct-TV-HD-Sat...QQcmdZViewItem

Its like a regular satellite/cable receiver but in HD. The above link is just to show you what one looks like. Its not an endorsement of the product. I don't know about this particular model, I just wanted to show you a sample of one.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Sounds like it was a HD ready tv....meaning there's no built in tuner but it's capable of displaying high def images. If you have a cable box or satellite you won't even use the built in tuner...it'll only be used for HD stations through a antenna or basic cable that you don't need a box for.

When I had Comcast cable they attached their own tuner to the back of the cable box....I do use my built in tuner now because I have extremely basic cable

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

go to fatwallet.com and check the hot deals section. It has hdtv, lcd and plasma refurbished and new anywhere from $595 shipped to $150o depends on what you want. I got a 50" plasma no tuner for the living room. im using a dishnetowrk hd receiver so didnt need one. also picked up a 37" lcd for the bedroom.

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

get an HD projector then you have quality video at whatever size you want...depending on the projector quality...just gonna be a bit more expensive...but its sooo worth it

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Check out the Westinghouse (with built in HD tuner)
    Great prices, I picked up a 32" for $649 which was an insane deal at the time!

Blue

so if the new lcd hdtv already has a tuner in it,and i get a box form comcast will they work togther?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Yes , with a tuner you can still pick up over the air programming with an antenna. You just dont need it because the comcast box will act as the tuner. Comcast sucks by me. It took them 3 months,countless calls, swapped boxes and running a complete new line to get everything working up to par. I have phone, internet and cable with them.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

also, hd ready means no full hd resolution. full hd means 1080 pixels vertical, hd ready has 720.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by tornado View Post
    so if the new lcd hdtv already has a tuner in it,and i get a box form comcast will they work togther?
    The way Comcast works is that if you use their box you also have to use their tuner...which is on the back of the box. It's only like $5 more a month and the built-in TV tuner won't interfere with it.

The built-in tuner is only good for getting "free" HD from your local channels...either over the air or through a coaxial. The problem with getting HD over the air is that there's no grey area....it's either a perfect picture or it cuts completely out. I just have basic basic cable through comcast for $10 a month and I get all the local channels in HD.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Not necessarlly true. While hdtv comes in either 720p or 1080p the most that is broadcast is 1080i. To be considered an hdtv you only have to have 700 lines of resoultion. You can have a 720p hdtv and get 1080i broadcasts. To some its not as crismp. Depends on the quality of the tv,size and viewing angle. Just like some tv"s have poor sd quality(non hd) and great hd. (like my maxent 50". it has so so sd but looks great in hd).

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    also, hd ready means no full hd resolution. full hd means 1080 pixels vertical, hd ready has 720.
    No...HD ready means there's no built-in tuner. A HD ready TV will still display 1080i/p but it needs a tuner or HD device.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    The way Comcast works is that if you use their box you also have to use their tuner...which is on the back of the box. It's only like $5 more a month and the built-in TV tuner won't interfere with it.

The built-in tuner is only good for getting "free" HD from your local channels...either over the air or through a coaxial. The problem with getting HD over the air is that there's no grey area....it's either a perfect picture or it cuts completely out. I just have basic basic cable through comcast for $10 a month and I get all the local channels in HD.

With the hd box you also get access to alot more channels, movies and hd. On demand has free hd movies etc..

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    With the hd box you also get access to alot more channels, movies and hd. On demand has free hd movies etc..
    Yea that's part of whatever cable package you have...the tuner charge is only like $5.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    No...HD ready means there's no built-in tuner. A HD ready TV will still display 1080i/p but it needs a tuner or HD device.
    ooh, my bad: i just looked it up and you are right....in the u.s. it refers to the tuner (but still could be 720 or 1080).

in europe, hd ready is a standard the tv industry agreed on. it says a tv has to have at least a vertical resolution of 720p in a 16:9 picture to carry that seal. that means in fact the hd ready tvs are 720s. the 1080s are marketed as "full hd". this standard doesn't refer to the tuner.

sorry 'bout the mixup!

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

DO NOT BUY A TV FROM SEARS!

(sorry, just had to spit that out)

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    DO NOT BUY A TV FROM SEARS!

(sorry, just had to spit that out)
    Sounds like a good story behind that...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast