Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hay!

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Hay!

Holy cow, i had to get rid of the halloween decorations for my mom this evening and had to drive a block of hay to this place, the uh, i don't know what it's called, it's a place where you throw away crap, not a junkyard but it's like you get rid of oil, toxic stuff etc. can't think of the name but it smells like complete ass.

But yea, man I took that hay and tried lifting it and i couldn't even get it off the ground. And I lift weights to, that hay had to have been over 130 pounds. It was super heavy, I had to have my dad come out and grab one end of it and help me throw it in the back of the truck, I felt like a wimp not being able to lift a bunch of wet straw but holy crap, I don't see how these country dudes cope with that stuff, it makes you itchy, it's heavy as all get out and the blocks are freakin humungus.... i'm itchin all over right now because of that nasty crap, and there are bugs that cruise around in it. Freakin gross.

How do the country dudes deal with that stuff? It amazes me.

Just had to share, hay freakin sucks, the trunk of the suburban is completley nasty again after i detailed the whole damn truck yesterday, it's wet and muddy as hell in there,can't stand freakin hay....

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hey bails are heavy but they are even heavier when wet. Bailing hay is a PITA but with time you get stronger,faster,better. Just like anything else. Farmers generally don't like to let their hay get wet cause it's not good to feed your livestock wet hay.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

wet anything makes it heavy as shit

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

.. was it HAY or was it Straw?

cuz its different.. straw is a lil more heavy i believe, and thats usually what people use as Halloween decorations and things....

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Wet makes it heavier for sure, I can throw 2 wet bales, or 4 dry bales at a time...

And believe it or not Smittro, Wet hay stacked up close, can spontainiously combust.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Hey bails are heavy but they are even heavier when wet. Bailing hay is a PITA but with time you get stronger,faster,better. Just like anything else. Farmers generally don't like to let their hay get wet cause it's not good to feed your livestock wet hay.
    I tell ya man, that was heavy stuff, you have to be one very strong guy to lift that stuff on a daily basis, props to the farmers.

I forgot animals eat that stuff to, wonder why it's not good to feed em wet hay, takes some of that crunchiness away lol.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Horses dont eat straw... Cows can eat straw...

Horses eat hay, alphalpha(sp?)...etc..

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by toityme View Post
    .. was it HAY or was it Straw?

cuz its different.. straw is a lil more heavy i believe, and thats usually what people use as Halloween decorations and things....
    I figured hay was combined straw haha guess not. I thought it was hay, guess it could be straw though.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    Wet makes it heavier for sure, I can throw 2 wet bales, or 4 dry bales at a time...

And believe it or not Smittro, Wet hay stacked up close, can spontainiously combust.
    Sure can, it produces it's own heat when piled up.
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-03-2009 at 05:51 PM.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    I figured hay was combined straw haha guess not. I thought it was hay, it's most likely straw though.
    common mistake

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

I tell ya man, that was heavy stuff, you have to be one very strong guy to lift that stuff on a daily basis, props to the farmers.

I forgot animals eat that stuff to, wonder why it's not good to feed em wet hay, takes some of that crunchiness away lol.
    Because mold and fugi can be poisous to the animals. Mold and fungi love dampness and darkness.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

thanks for the info farmer toityme lol....

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

i'm sure she's rolled in some hay

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Because mold and fugi can be poisous to the animals. Mold and fungi love dampness and darkness.
    thanks for the info farmer toityme lol....
    hey you can thank him for being like our version of BIll NYE the SCIENCE FUNGI guy

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Oh and Ps. lifting it aint the hard part lol, thowing it up on a stack is. I maybe a city boy but I've put a few bails in the loft lol..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

hey you can thank him for being like our version of BIll NYE the SCIENCE FUNGI guy

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Oh and Ps. lifting it aint the hard part lol, thowing it up on a stack is. I maybe a city boy but I've put a few bails in the loft lol..
    woah, i can imagine how hard that probably is i'd probably end up throwin it up and hitting the other bails and knockin em all down. I've never even touched hay until today and i'm itchin all over the place man and i'm sneezing and coughin up a storm, that stuff is no joke lol.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

woah, i can imagine how hard that probably is i'd probably end up throwin it up and hitting the other bails and knockin em all down. I've never even touched hay until today and i'm itchin all over the place man and i'm sneezing and coughin up a storm, that stuff is no joke lol.
    Hehe, lol if ya knock it down YOU pick it up too..lol Ask me how I know.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

common mistake
    To explain: Hay is made out of grasses and legumes (plants like clover and alfalfa). Farmers grow these plants in fields; cut the plants down a couple times a summer; dry them out; then roll, wrap or cram them into bales. (Imagine mowing a really tall lawn then rolling the clippings into a really big Ding Dong.) Hay is full of nutrients, and farmers feed it to their livestock.

Straw, on the other hand, is made of the leftover stalks of plants like oats and wheat and barley. The hollow stalks are left behind when the seeds of the plants are harvested. The stalks are cut and dried and baled. The result, voila, is straw. Straw has fewer nutrients than hay but is light and warm and absorbent. It’s best for livestock bedding, and straw hats...not food.

It's ok Kristi, Common Mistake.

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    To explain: Hay is made out of grasses and legumes (plants like clover and alfalfa). Farmers grow these plants in fields; cut the plants down a couple times a summer; dry them out; then roll, wrap or cram them into bales. (Imagine mowing a really tall lawn then rolling the clippings into a really big Ding Dong.) Hay is full of nutrients, and farmers feed it to their livestock.

Straw, on the other hand, is made of the leftover stalks of plants like oats and wheat and barley. The hollow stalks are left behind when the seeds of the plants are harvested. The stalks are cut and dried and baled. The result, voila, is straw. Straw has fewer nutrients than hay but is light and warm and absorbent. It’s best for livestock bedding, and straw hats...not food.

It's ok Kristi, Common Mistake.
    Hey i didnt say straw is nutritious... but cows will eat it.. i.e.they can digest it.

Horses can not/should not

I know what stray / hay is.. Thats why I originally said his decorations were most likely straw, and he was using both terms when they arent the same thing..............not sure what youre trying to prove here.. cuz we expressed the same thing in different interpretations.

I have horses, I have cows.. I know what they can or cannot eat. THANK YOU GOOD DAY

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information