Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Have gas prices affected YOU?

I am sick and tired of hearing on the news, internet, and radio broadcasts that no matter the price of gas "the average person will still pay for it without complaint." Fair enough, cuz where will complaining get you, right?

However, does it affect the bottom dollar? Will you take gas prices into consideration now when you buy a new car? How about when you make a drive outside the local area? Will you cut back on other things to make up for the extra $20 spent on gas?

I know I sure as hell have....

I wouldnt get 4.10s now.
    I wont get a cam now, unless I get a reliable tune with it (which I dont have anywhere nearby).
    I wont buy a new car that has gas mileage liek my car has (I dont get rid of mine cuz I own it...no payments, ya know?)?
    I drive my motorcycle more often (which is never a bad thing)..

So how about you? We all love our LS1s enough to not get rid of them....well, maybe someone here will get rid of their's to compensate, but do you cut back on other things so life with the car isnt altered?
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

I really dont notice any serious changes....Shit goes up, i pay for it, shit goes down, i still pay for it. I really dont even notice what it is...I just fill er up.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    I am sick and tired of hearing on the news, internet, and radio broadcasts that no matter the price of gas "the average person will still pay for it without complaint." Fair enough, cuz where will complaining get you, right?

However, does it affect the bottom dollar? Will you take gas prices into consideration now when you buy a new car? How about when you make a drive outside the local area? Will you cut back on other things to make up for the extra $20 spent on gas?
    Well it seems as though you are behaving exactly the way the market would predict. If gas prices are higher than you are willing to pay it seems reasonable that you would cut back.

Personally, I have not cut back at all. I still receive more than enough utility from gasoline to justify the price I pay. As long as it is the cheapest alternative, people will continue to buy it regardless of how expensive it gets. That is until it gets so expensive that the alternatives become the less expensive choice. And I agree that it doesn't make any difference to complain with you mouth about price and then show satisfaction with the price with you wallet since actions speak louder than words.

Quote Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
    Well it seems as though you are behaving exactly the way the market would predict. If gas prices are higher than you are willing to pay it seems reasonable that you would cut back.

Personally, I have not cut back at all. I still receive more than enough utility from gasoline to justify the price I pay. As long as it is the cheapest alternative, people will continue to buy it regardless of how expensive it gets. That is until it gets so expensive that the alternatives become the less expensive choice. And I agree that it doesn't make any difference to complain with you mouth about price and then show satisfaction with the price with you wallet since actions speak louder than words.
    Thats why I said the "bottom dollar." We live in a mobile country, so we are willing to pay a lot to move. However, money is money, so if I am paying more for gas, I will have a lighter wallet.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Thats why I said the "bottom dollar." We live in a mobile country, so we are willing to pay a lot to move. However, money is money, so if I am paying more for gas, I will have a lighter wallet.
    Only if you continue to buy the same quantity at the higher price. I may have misunderstood your original post, but it was my understanding that you were taking measure to reduce your consumption.

When gas prices go up we all have decisions to make. It is no different than any other price change on the products we buy.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i have not cut back but hell yes... every one has felt the effects... no one wants to pay more...

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

The recent gas price inflation is the largest inflation the world has ever seen. Everything else went up too. I used to manage a store, after the intitial gas price spike 6 months later we changed almost all of the prices in our store. The worst part about the whole thing is the cost of making it never changed. The oil companies are banking on this. They are selling the same amount of fuel for more money. Supply and demand my friends. Now that china is going through it's version of the industrial revolution they are using fossil fuels way more. Not to mention we are at war right now, imagine how much of the U.S's fuel is going in those hummers and tanks. The other funny thing is that georgie boy as you all know has many friends and family in the oil business...and they are the ones making the same amounts of oil, but selling it for 3 times as much as 7 years ago...

Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

i feel the effects of it, but my WS.6 gets much better gas milage than my 96 Bronco and i will still leave the WS.6 in the garage and daily drive the Bronco

Quote Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
    Only if you continue to buy the same quantity at the higher price. I may have misunderstood your original post, but it was my understanding that you were taking measure to reduce your consumption.

When gas prices go up we all have decisions to make. It is no different than any other price change on the products we buy.
    I did. It was one of the possible questions you have to ask yourself.

For example..

When I was 18-24 years old, whenever there was a bar/club/some bitch's house that my friends and I had to drive a half hour to get to, I would be fine with driving and not ask for gas money. Nowadays, nobody better fucking ask me. "Well take YOUR civic."

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I wish i could make my own gas.

I do. But even though I like it, others do not.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

yeah it sucks. Considering the fact that I'm dumping nearly 50$ in gas a week into the car. I could daily drive the beater, but no a/c sucks so that justifies the compensation. I still have skip shift on the phoenix-and it does help! I try to reserve the aggressive driving to the weekends only so i can maintain one fill-up per week.

honestly though, michelle's v6 taurus is hell on gas. I keep wanting to get rid of it for something more economic but no car payment is divine.

Black
    2005 GTO

I have most defiently felt the affects. Gas is no longer just spare change sitting around the house it is something that I actually have to budget for. It use to be nothing to have to fill up 2 or 3 times a week. Now I try my hardest to only fill up once a week. If I really push it I can make it two weeks but that strickly to work an back 5 days a week. I also drive alot slower I've been pulling 21-22mpg in a 400hp beast so I'm very pleased with that. I also have tried to eliminate all my short trips I try to pick everything I need up on the way to or from work. As others said I usually make friends with 4cyl cars drive me around to parties/club/bars whenever possible. I also tend to take my gf car more whenever we go out since she has a 4cyl camry.

Will gas prices affect my next car purchase. It sure will, my next car will have to get atleast 25mpg around town. I will proabably keep the z/28 as a toy s

I knew I wasnt alone.

I am starting back at college and I will be attending a university for the first time. With a hard time finding possible work, I have to think of expenses. When I did 'gas for a year,' I nearly shit myself.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The increased price in gas has affected everyone, unless you are one of the ones getting rich off of it. Its not just the price of gas that has gone up either, anything that is delivered by trucks has increased in price as well, because they have had to increase their prices due to higher costs. Has anyone noticed the price of a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread lately. Its outrageous here.

Milk has been up for over a year now. Same with eggs.

But nothing has doubled in price BUT gas.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Milk has been up for over a year now. Same with eggs.

But nothing has doubled in price BUT gas.
    Milk was still about $3.50/gallon earlier in the year here. It recently went to $4.25-4.50/gallon.

Bread is now well over $2.00/loaf

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Hasnt affected me.....race gas is still pretty much the same!!lol

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Apparently Not, I bought a 2000 Ford F150 and a 2001 Chevy Tahoe.

Of course both are for sale at a greatly reduced price.
    But I like them as they are very useful and fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information