Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HAND GUN Question

I just moved into a duplex this past weekend while unpacking I found a hand gun on the top shelf in the closet.

How much do you think a Taurus 38 Special Revolver is worth?

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by RT KS SS View Post
    I just moved into a duplex this past weekend while unpacking I found a hand gun on the top shelf in the closet.

I don't know but I would keep it.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

prolly just got framed for a murder...

I would keep it but I really have no need for it. I maybe shoot a gun once a year if that. Just curious what i should be asking for it.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

google it...

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by RT KS SS View Post

What it's worth is a trip to prison if you sell it and it turns out to be stolen or was used in a serious crime... you need to call local police and have them come out and check the weapon. You may be wrapping yourself up in something you want no part of.

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by BLK02TransAm View Post
    What it's worth is a trip to prison if you sell it and it turns out to be stolen or was used in a serious crime... you need to call local police and have them come out and check the weapon. You may be wrapping yourself up in something you want no part of.
    agreed.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

agreed and to top it off, you have no paperwork on the gun.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    agreed and to top it off, you have no paperwork on the gun.
    in the free world he doesnt need the paperwork... but if it was left by the previous tennants I would say if it was a legally owned weapon they have reported it lost or stolen. Therefore a serial number is in a database somewhere and you could get in deep shit for selling it.

Call the police and tell them what the deal is. Let them take it from there

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

You have left alot out. Size of the barell,blued or stainless, etc. A 2 inch T38 spec goes for 300 ish new.. 6 inch gets closer to 400 and stainless is just above 400. But all of these prices are new. Does it show use?? As others have said just google that is how I got prices for you. As other have said I would report it.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

What a bunch of pussies...

The gun was obviously stored in a safe manner high up on a top shelf in a closet, and the previous owner forgot about it when he packed up and moved. Too bad for him!

I would oil that gun down and add it to the other 12 handguns sitting in my gun safe!!

If you want to sell it, a used .38 Taurus would bring about $150-175 tops. Smith & Wessons are much more valuable.

If you're in Tulsa, PM me. Hell, I'll buy it.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

+1.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post

The gun was obviously stored in a safe manner high up on a top shelf in a closet, and the previous owner forgot about it when he packed up and moved. Too bad for him!

I would oil that gun down and add it to the other 12 handguns sitting in my gun safe!!

If you want to sell it, a used .38 Taurus would bring about $150-175 tops. Smith & Wessons are much more valuable.

No, I'm not a pussy... however, I AM a robbery/homicide detective so I have just a little bit of experience in the area of crime guns.

IF it was left there by accident, the previous owner might well report it stolen when he/she determines it is missing, thus putting our fellow LS1'er in possession of a stolen weapon. Or, it could already be reported stolen, and he could nip the situation in the bud, do the right thing and contact local police to turn it over.

At the end of the day, he is far better off making an effort to determine the legal status of the gun AND who its rightful owner is than he is by keeping it and crossing his fingers. If you wish to be reckless with yourself that's fine, but handing out bad advice under the shadow of insulting his manhood is just sad.

keep it, everyone should have some form of protection in their home.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    you have no paperwork on the gun.
    Normal states don't require that in a private face to face transaction. I can buy 50 used guns at a gunshow and there would be no way of knowing if they were stolen or used in a crime. Sooooo.....keep it or sell it and if there is an issue with the gun, just say you bought it at a gunshow from someone. You'd be luck to get more than $175-$250 depending on the finish and condition. The .38 special isn't exactly a powerful round so if it were me, I'd trade it towards something with a little more punch. Then again, just toss it in your glovebox or tacklebox. Good luck. For more info on that gun, go to www.gunbroker.com

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tonik View Post
    agreed.
    +1

Silver
    2002 Z28

Get caught with it or trying to sell it, and you're in a lot of shit. As stated above, a Taurus 38 isn't an exceptionally valuable gun, you may get $100-200 for it; that said, is it really worth the risk? And if you like it and want to keep it, you're only looking at $100-200 to legitimately own one. I know this site is full of arrogant kids, but this is a risk too great to take. Don't just do the right thing, do the smart thing.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

No, I'm not a pussy... however, I AM a robbery/homicide detective so I have just a little bit of experience in the area of crime guns.

IF it was left there by accident, the previous owner might well report it stolen when he/she determines it is missing, thus putting our fellow LS1'er in possession of a stolen weapon. Or, it could already be reported stolen, and he could nip the situation in the bud, do the right thing and contact local police to turn it over.

At the end of the day, he is far better off making an effort to determine the legal status of the gun AND who its rightful owner is than he is by keeping it and crossing his fingers. If you wish to be reckless with yourself that's fine, but handing out bad advice under the shadow of insulting his manhood is just sad.
    this is the only answer I have seen that makes sense..........if you just keep the gun and dont look into it then you are an idiot plain and simple....bottom line....people who have guns dont just forget about them.....150-200 dollars is chump change and not worth the hell that could come your way if its een involved in a crime, or stolen etc......if you value your freedom at all get it check out, dont listen to the people on here that say it doesnt matter, b/c of private sales and gun shows........private sales have the same risk and you could be getting screwed over, thats why if you do a private sale you have the gun screened....also if you are getting a gun at a show, these guys must have FFl licenses etc......usually legit......if you want to be reckless go for it, but just be prepared to face the consequences even if you use that gun to stop a person in self defense, and it has a history.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

My room mate would be interested if its a stub nose

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information