Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Guy that won share of 390 million mega lottery lives in my city

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17481485/?GT1=9145

lucky dog ! makes me sick lol...o well at least somebody where i live can tell the carpet industry to stick it
    Last edited by Speedy_Gonzales; 03-07-2007 at 02:56 PM.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

after taxes his share will be 70-80 million

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

I saw a show on TV the other day about Lottery winners and believe it or not 1/3 end up broke. They say the smart thing to do is take a lump sum and invest immediately. A guy that one 100mil or so a few years back is already close to being a billionaire by taking the lump sum and investing wisely. He probably invested in oil or something.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28 View Post
    I saw a show on TV the other day about Lottery winners and believe it or not 1/3 end up broke. They say the smart thing to do is take a lump sum and invest immediately. A guy that one 100mil or so a few years back is already close to being a billionaire by taking the lump sum and investing wisely. He probably invested in oil or something.
    u r right most of them do end up broke dont know how to mange all that money........me lol screw investing time to buy a lambo

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    u r right most of them do end up broke dont know how to mange all that money........me lol screw investing time to buy a lambo
    Make no mistake, I'd probably spend about 30 million right away and then invest the rest. I'd definitely make many of my good friends millionaires, then find myself a nice stretch of land somewhere and build a very large garage capable of holding many cars and start up my collection. I'd probably invest the rest in silver, property, and possibly in oil/energy. I'd definitely start my own business too.

On the local news it showed him holding a check for $ 116~ million. I assume that is half the pot, after taxes.

That is a lot of loot.

I'm not sure what I would do with it. I'd definitely hire a good accountant. Probably spoil family and friends, but end up investing a bundle, like 98Z28 said. Maybe try to set a trust up so that the following generations of my family and friends could live well.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I was reading an article in the paper last week about lottery winners and it said most DO NOT end up broke. It just seems that way coz those are the ones you hear about. It said that only about 5-10% actually end up blowing it all... that number might have been even less, I can't remember exactly now, but I do know it was a low number.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

lucky SOB...I bet anyone related or that even knows that dude is happier then shit right now

Sebring Silver
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28 View Post
    Read this article about the guy today..

Taking home the jackpot
    Here's how one lucky winner spent his new-found fortune.
    FORTUNE Magazine
    By Ellen Florian Kratz, Fortune writer
    February 28 2007: 7:46 AM EST

(Fortune Magazine) -- Brad Duke, 34, a manager for five Gold's Gym franchises in Idaho, pocketed a lump sum of $85 million after winning a $220 million Powerball jackpot in 2005. He spent the first month of his new life assembling a team of financial advisors. His goal: to use his winnings to become a billionaire. Here's what Duke has done with his money so far.

* $45 million: Safe, low-risk investments such as municipal bonds
    * $35 million: Aggressive investments like oil and gas and real estate
    * $1.3 million: A family foundation
    * $63,000: A trip to Tahiti with 17 friends
    * $125,000: Mortgage retired on his 1,400-square-foot house
    * $18,000: Student-loan repayment
    * $65,000: New bicycles, including a $12,000 BMC road bike
    * $14,500: A used black VW Jetta
    * $12,000: Annual gift to each family member

Did you often buy lottery tickets or was this a one-time thing?

I played the lottery often when I won. I had developed a little numbering system. Since I've won, there's been a lot of numbering systems for lotteries all over the Internet. Before that, there weren't any. I really thought I was going to win. I even wrote it down in my journal in 2002.

How did you develop your system?

How to choose my lottery numbers started through a trial and error process. I just started playing number games with myself about how to capture the most diverse numbers. Then I looked at the most recent Powerball numbers over the last six months and took the set of 15 numbers that were most commonly coming up. My Powerball numbers were going to be those 15. So I starting messing around with it, and my number games got a little more complex and a little bigger. I was starting to win smaller amounts like $150 and $500.

So many lottery winners have sad endings. Did you worry about that?

I've always handled responsibility well. If you accept that check, you accept an amazing responsibility to yourself and whomever you decide to include in it. I was quiet about winning for a month before I decided to come out. During that time, I was getting as much research as I could on existing lottery winners and what their stories were. Most of them lose all the money within a short amount of time. I'm looking at statistics where people in ten years have nothing. In ten years, I wanted to be worth about ten times as much. I think a lot of people who play the lottery are people who live on hope.

What was your first major purchase?

A trip to Tahiti for me and 17 of my friends. At the same time, I paid off my mortgage and student loans. [What was your biggest purchase?] The family foundation was the biggest allotment of money. $1.3 million.

What else did you do with your money?

I wanted to make the most of the opportunity that was given to me, so I put together a team with the intent to reach and maintain a $1 billion status over a particular period of time. I wanted to do it in 10 years, which I knew was aggressive. My team talked me into looking at 15 years. But it looks like we're on track for 12 years. When you do something like that, the more you become worth, the quicker your growth curve is. My total net worth right now is at an unofficial value of $128 to $130 million. We've done very well for the first year and a half.

What about a big new house or a fancy new car?

I guess I'm more worried about spending time on my investments and helping my consulting company along and doing fun things with my family and friends. I will have a new home and a great car at some point, but just not now. The great thing about the lottery was that I get to experience amazing things with people I care about. I started up a consulting company and am employing some people that helped me along the way with my employment. I took my family on a cruise.

You had to have treated yourself to something.

I bought bicycles. I'm probably own upward of 17 bikes. I also bought a 2002 Jetta. I gave my 2005 Jetta to my nephew. So it's the exact same car except for his is white and mine is black.

You had a newer car that you gave to your nephew and you bought an older car?

That's correct. I wanted a black VW Jetta with a black interior. Believe it or not, those are really hard to find. I went to the local dealership and had them track one down for me. They had to go to Texas to get it. It fit my bicycle rack really well.

What happened to your job at Gold's Gym?

I still teach a spinning class there twice a week. I took some time off after the whole thing because everybody had investment opportunities that were the greatest thing since sliced bread, and there were 100 of them every day. So I had to get out of there for a while, but when I went back, the people I'd been teaching for the last 8 years were still the same people, and I was still the same instructor.

Have you given money to members of your family?

One of the first things I did was give everyone in my family the maximum amount without tax consequence. I have all of my nieces' and nephews' college funds set up, and they're set. And there's no debt for anyone anymore. Everybody is happy.

Are you happier since you¹ve won the money?

Absolutely. When it comes down to it, I get to do the things professionally that I've always wanted to do. I get to invent a piece of equipment that I've always been thinking about doing. I get to give back to some people that have given to me over years.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

^^^Wow..that guy has his head on straight

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by RiceEater View Post

Taking home the jackpot
    FORTUNE Magazine

(Fortune Magazine) -- Brad Duke, 34, a manager for five Gold's Gym franchises in Idaho, pocketed a lump sum of $85 million after winning a $220 million Powerball jackpot in 2005. He spent the first month of his new life assembling a team of financial advisors. His goal: to use his winnings to become a billionaire. Here's what Duke has done with his money so far.

I played the lottery often when I won. I had developed a little numbering system. Since I've won, there's been a lot of numbering systems for lotteries all over the Internet. Before that, there weren't any. I really thought I was going to win. I even wrote it down in my journal in 2002.

How to choose my lottery numbers started through a trial and error process. I just started playing number games with myself about how to capture the most diverse numbers. Then I looked at the most recent Powerball numbers over the last six months and took the set of 15 numbers that were most commonly coming up. My Powerball numbers were going to be those 15. So I starting messing around with it, and my number games got a little more complex and a little bigger. I was starting to win smaller amounts like $150 and $500.

I've always handled responsibility well. If you accept that check, you accept an amazing responsibility to yourself and whomever you decide to include in it. I was quiet about winning for a month before I decided to come out. During that time, I was getting as much research as I could on existing lottery winners and what their stories were. Most of them lose all the money within a short amount of time. I'm looking at statistics where people in ten years have nothing. In ten years, I wanted to be worth about ten times as much. I think a lot of people who play the lottery are people who live on hope.

A trip to Tahiti for me and 17 of my friends. At the same time, I paid off my mortgage and student loans. [What was your biggest purchase?] The family foundation was the biggest allotment of money. $1.3 million.

I wanted to make the most of the opportunity that was given to me, so I put together a team with the intent to reach and maintain a $1 billion status over a particular period of time. I wanted to do it in 10 years, which I knew was aggressive. My team talked me into looking at 15 years. But it looks like we're on track for 12 years. When you do something like that, the more you become worth, the quicker your growth curve is. My total net worth right now is at an unofficial value of $128 to $130 million. We've done very well for the first year and a half.

I guess I'm more worried about spending time on my investments and helping my consulting company along and doing fun things with my family and friends. I will have a new home and a great car at some point, but just not now. The great thing about the lottery was that I get to experience amazing things with people I care about. I started up a consulting company and am employing some people that helped me along the way with my employment. I took my family on a cruise.

I bought bicycles. I'm probably own upward of 17 bikes. I also bought a 2002 Jetta. I gave my 2005 Jetta to my nephew. So it's the exact same car except for his is white and mine is black.

That's correct. I wanted a black VW Jetta with a black interior. Believe it or not, those are really hard to find. I went to the local dealership and had them track one down for me. They had to go to Texas to get it. It fit my bicycle rack really well.

I still teach a spinning class there twice a week. I took some time off after the whole thing because everybody had investment opportunities that were the greatest thing since sliced bread, and there were 100 of them every day. So I had to get out of there for a while, but when I went back, the people I'd been teaching for the last 8 years were still the same people, and I was still the same instructor.

One of the first things I did was give everyone in my family the maximum amount without tax consequence. I have all of my nieces' and nephews' college funds set up, and they're set. And there's no debt for anyone anymore. Everybody is happy.

Absolutely. When it comes down to it, I get to do the things professionally that I've always wanted to do. I get to invent a piece of equipment that I've always been thinking about doing. I get to give back to some people that have given to me over years.

with 85 mil i think i could just live off that the rest of my life w/0 investing anything...jesh the more u get the more u want cant take it with u

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Man... If I won that much money I'd probably just go through my normal life for a week, out of shock, and then just realize what happened, shit my pants, quit my job and buy a whole load of stupid things...

I don't have a job right now... but I would if I were spending money on lottery tickets...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

with 85 mil i think i could just live off that the rest of my life w/0 investing anything...jesh the more u get the more u want cant take it with u
    well, the idea is you spread it around, sure i'd be set on 85 M myself, but it's more admirable to invest.

If i won, i'd die. literally, i would go into a shock while erupting sperm all over the room...that would kick so much ass to be able to pay off all that shit.

Man, only $65k for a vacation with your closest friends? I'd buy a yacht for sure!

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by RiceEater View Post

Taking home the jackpot
    FORTUNE Magazine

That is the same exact guy I was talking about. Man I wish I could win even just 1 million.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

I'd buy ls1.com and introduce myself with another screen name while keeping "captaincaveman" still active but not informing anyone that i secretly own the joint.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

All that money in winnings and the guy chose a used black VW Jetta?

He should do something other than teach spinning class?

I would enter a motor sports series to have some fun at least.

Interesting that he feels he had/has a winning system for the power ball type of lottery.

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

I would open my own titty bar...and have some hot ass strippers

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by ZAPFOOL!! View Post
    I would open my own titty bar...and have some hot ass strippers
    Don't forget to get a midget stripper!

That's a great article, thanks for digging it up for us.

That guy has the right attitude about life.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17481485/?GT1=9145

lucky dog ! makes me sick lol...o well at least somebody where i live can tell the carpet industry to stick it
    Whats the guys name and address I need to write my long lost dad a letter..haha
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information