White
    1999 Transam WS6

Guitarists come in, need suggestions quickly. Amps

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm looking to buy an amp to replace my shitty 100 dollar 15watt amp that does no justice to my expensive guitar

I'm currently considered the Peavey Triple XXX 112 or 212 (both same features except one has 2 12" speakers.

Three channels with their own separate EQ, clean, crunch, ultra, including master reverb and volume. Full tube

And the all great and popular 5150

Playing styles is mostly metal, iron maiden, metallica, megadeth, sabbath, etc.
    Would also want it to be capable of playing newer "pop punk" and modern "metalcore" and classic rock, zeppelin, hendrix, etc.

Most of these styles use somewhat heavier distortion except classic rock. The main category will be previously mentioned metal and some newer stuff.

One thing I like about the XXX which I'm not sure is capable with the 5150 is the separate 3 channels. Can have a clean, distorted and solo channels which are needed on some songs, a lot of Metallica comes to mind which constantly goes from clean Rhythm, distorted Rhythm, and higher pitched "clean" solo guitar (fade to black, one, etc.). Though, I'm sure this could be solved by getting another distortion pedal, but that adds to the costs and overall package.

The price on a 5150 is usually a bit more expensive than the XXX unless you get lucky. Can probably land a XXX on eBay for around 450-550 used. 5150 usually go for 550-700 shipped. Talking to a guy on craigslist where I can buy the XXX from him for around 450 shipped, but the foot pedal isn't working. Another person on craigslist has his for around 550-600 shipped to me.

Another XXX is ending on eBay tonight,currently at $350 which I'm gonna try to snipe.
    Last edited by Aetos; 04-22-2009 at 12:47 PM.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

nevermind. WON THE AUCTION!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270376254116

405 with shipping!

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Both are good amps, although I prefer the 5150. The 5150 basically has the same channel featues as the XXX being that is has a clean(rhythm) and lead channel, but the clean channel has a push button crunch mode. Which works quite well with a boost or distortion pedal out front. Neither have great cleans, but both are capable of tons of gain and a nice tight chugging tone. Here is my 5150.

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Quote Originally Posted by yellowv View Post
    Both are good amps, although I prefer the 5150. The 5150 basically has the same channel featues as the XXX being that is has a clean(rhythm) and lead channel, but the clean channel has a push button crunch mode. Which works quite well with a boost or distortion pedal out front. Neither have great cleans, but both are capable of tons of gain and a nice tight chugging tone. Here is my 5150.

Click for full size
    Looks good, another thing that made me side with the XXX is the seperate EQs for all 3 channels. Can't wait till I get it!

Nothing special
    Nothing special

I don't know if I could buy an amp, stack, or *anything* without hearing it first. All the way down to an effects pedal.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

as stated both are good amps.

congrats for the auction won.

for my style of playing progressive metal, I prefer the sound of randall amps.

-arch enemy
    -pantera
    -children of bodom
    -queensryche
    -ihsahn

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

im getting ready to buy a new amp. my marshal mg50 dfx has taken a shit recently. i mainly play heavy metal, but its not nearly as fun on an acoustic guitar.

Thread Information