Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guitar players please enter

For all those that know how to play the guitar(electric if it matters) do you have any words of wisdom or any little tidbits of info that you would care to share with a newb?

I'm trying to learn the basics as much as possible in my spare time and any extra info would be much appreciated!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

practice....practice.....practice. There is no easy/quick way. Just takes a lot of practice. I will say to find you some good finger excersizes ( there's many different ways) and do those for 15-20 minutes everyday before you start playing. That will greatly accelerate your dexterity. Also, start out by alternate picking (up,down,up,down) instead of all down strokes. I would also start out playing standing up instead of sitting down. Maybe sit for the first month or so until you get the hang of hand positions but after that go ahead and play standing up. I learned exclusively sitting down and then it was almost like learning again when I started standing up because I was used to having it in my lap. Did I mention practice??? Good luck. Get some tabs out of magazines or online and that'll help keep it from getting boring to you.
    I would really recommend you taking lessons from someone. That'd help you quite a bit. Then after taking lessons from one guy for a few months switch and take some from a different guy. You'll learn a ton of things doing it that way.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

also, hope you have alot of patience. ive been lacking patience lately so i havent touched my guitars in about 2 months.

good luck.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Not a guitar player, but I do know a bit about learning/teaching music. One of the best ways to get better fast is get a good teacher. There are alot of hacks out there, but if you find a good one you will get alot more done. Be warned a good teacher might have you doing some tedious stuff like scales, but it pays off. As said above just practice, and make sure you have lots of patience.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

modes, scales, chords - practice them!
    develop and ear, try to learn things just by listening to music you like

dont be afraid to play and try totally different things. dont limit yourself. Learn how to play linear and in the box. experiment

check out guitar teaching DVDs such as: (you can you tube many of them)

paul gilbert
    Michael angelo batio
    john petruccii
    yngwie malmsteen

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    practice....practice.....practice.
    This can not be stressed enough.

Although I play drums it's the same for any instrument. You've got to practice a lot to become proficient at anything worth doing....

navy blue metallic
    2000 z28 camaro

practice,practice and more practice. ive been playing for 28 years and i still pick it up and run through modes and scales all the time!!! stick with it!!
    4.10 RICHMOND GEARS,LAKEWOOD LCA'S,EATON POSI,EDELBROCK TORQUE ARM,
    LAKEWOOD PANHARD BAR,SLP LID,,B&M RIPPER SHIFTER,EDELBROCK STRUT TOWER BRACE,SLP FAN CONTROL,SLP LINE LOCK,17 INCH ZR1S WITH 315 35S AND 275 40S,SLP Y-PIPE,TSP 224/224 112LSA CAM,COMP SPRINGS,TUNED BY FROST @ LSXTUNE.COM

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Yeah, definitely practice! Buy some books for beginners and run through scales!

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

what everybody else said, with an emphasis on getting a good teacher. keeps you from getting stuck with mistakes that slow down your progress. and don't use too light strings, that way you'll exercise your muscles and be able to play longer and faster.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i've been playing for years... since i was 13... but i don't play every day like i used to (and it showes)... you got to be able to devote at least a half hour a day to hone in on your skills... but becareful not to over do it...

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i've been playing for years... since i was 13... but i don't play every day like i used to (and it showes)... you got to be able to devote at least a half hour a day to hone in on your skills... but becareful not to over do it...
    i think i just got burned out from that right there. i would play 2-3hrs a night. lock myself in my garage with my guitar and my amp.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    i think i just got burned out from that right there. i would play 2-3hrs a night. lock myself in my garage with my guitar and my amp.
    i've done that many times... but i'm really talking about over working your tendons... i've done it and it hurts like a mofo...

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

i've done that many times... but i'm really talking about over working your tendons... i've done it and it hurts like a mofo...
    Ive done it too. Ouch! Hurt for days!

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

oh. my bad. yea, that too.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Just to add on what has already been said. You can very easily hurt yourself with an instrument. If you start to feel pain then stop and start evaluating what might be causing the pain (sore fingers is alright ).

A side note on practicing more time is always good, but if you are efficient you can gain alot more in a short time. I could write a small book on practicing, but basically just think.

(Hours of practice) x (Practice methods) = Improvement

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Bottesini View Post
    Just to add on what has already been said. You can very easily hurt yourself with an instrument. If you start to feel pain then stop and start evaluating what might be causing the pain (sore fingers is alright ).

A side note on practicing more time is always good, but if you are efficient you can gain alot more in a short time. I could write a small book on practicing, but basically just think.

(Hours of practice) x (Practice methods) = Improvement

that's really an issue, and again, that's where a good teacher can avoid the worst.

btw: two good things coming from mexico:

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    that's really an issue, and again, that's where a good teacher can avoid the worst.

btw: two good things coming from mexico:

Click for full size
    i prefere Elixers nanoweb... they are the best strigns you can get... especially for accoustic... the sound they make is the best...

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i prefere Elixers nanoweb... they are the best strigns you can get... especially for accoustic... the sound they make is the best...
    never tried them, i've been through a lot of brands and i like the money value and the crisp bass of the martins. i also like to change the strings rather frequently. and with 18 guitars (number 19 on the way), price becomes an issue...

Black
    2000 WS.6

If you are playing an electric guitar and you like metal, rock, etc. find a tone that you like. I started out playing clean, and hated it. Almost quit because everything I tried to play sounded stupid clean. I went out, bought a distortion pedal and let er rip...haven't looked back since. It has to sound good to you first, before it sounds good to anyone else, or else you'll wind up giving up...

Oh yeah and practice...

WOW... didn't think that there would be that many guitar players on here. I appreciate all the information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information