Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

GT500 + 24psi = Boom

Bad day for the Mustang.

Was making 800hp then threw a rod @ 6500RPM.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb9_1291161906

Comments from the owner

Posted by: Blue_Diamond
    Thanks for all the well wishers.Yep its my gt500 5.4 ken bell 2.8 stage 3 Dynateck long tubes 80 psi inj and reven racing rad and heat exchanger but yes a stock bottom end running c 16 a rod bolt failed at 6500 rpms and took out the block the tune was right on after teardown the pistons tops were perfect.All hard miles on the car also not trailered anywere.My fault turning it up to 6500 with 24 pounds of boost.The 8oo hp club was very exp for me!Just thougt I would share my experence,as bad as it was.
    Last edited by CJREX; 12-02-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added owner comments

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Damn....looks like it let go AFTER he let off it....

In the tune maybe?

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Yeah that's gotta suck.

Tan
    Lexus SC400

Ouch, what is the guy doing thinking pushing 800hp and 24 psi thru those stock internals???...You're putting almost double the power the engine was designed for at stock.. OOOPPPSS!!!

It's to be expected I hate too say it.. This gives the guy a good reason now to install the really good stuff.. Hope he makes bank, it's going to get pricey..

I raced a stock GT500 once and they are fast as shit even at stock, nice ride when running!!! It pulled on me barely and I was running a 150 shot of nitrous..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 12-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Yeah, it sounded like it was running a little rough at the beginning of the video so something was up with it for sure. Good tune or not, stock longblocks have their limits, I don't even think it's safe to rev the 5.4's up that high so that motor was probably on it's way out anyways.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

They really shouldn't be reved that high?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

4.165" stroke and it's not built for what this guy did apparently

Tan
    Lexus SC400

^^^May have been running too lean on decell, who frigg'n knows???.. Timing too could have been pulled a bit as well you just don't know? If I remember correctly the 03's have slightly better bottom ends and better rods but not sure.. The new GT500's are kinda untested still at max capacity from what I've seen and read..

Still, the dude was pushing it regardless on the factory stuff..

Must be a trust fund baby that doesn't give a shit as he didn't look to upset when it popped..

Impounded
    gmcheviac

an '03 cobra is a 4.6 if that's what you mean

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    ^^^May have been running too lean on decell, who frigg'n knows???.. Timing too could have been pulled a bit as well you just don't know? If I remember correctly the 03's have slightly better bottom ends and better rods but not sure.. The new GT500's are kinda untested still at max capacity from what I've seen and read..

Still, the dude was pushing it regardless on the factory stuff..

Must be a trust fund baby that doesn't give a shit as he didn't look to upset when it popped..
    The '03-04 have an iron block with fully forged internals including Manley rods and what not. The pistons in the GT500 are said to be stronger and better designed than the Terminator pistons were, but the connecting rods is where it lacks its strength. Also when the boost is turned up in the GT500 the rpms must be kept down. That is why any KB'ed GT500 should keep the rev limit around 6000-6250 rpms.

GT500 rods a are cracked powder forged.

03-04 Cobra rod From left to right: Stock forged cracked-powder rod, Manley upgraded I-beam rod, forged Manley H-beam rod ('03/'04 Cobra) The Cobra rod is even lighter than the other two...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Is it the rod bolt that gave way though, or is it all speculation?

Tan
    Lexus SC400

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    The '03-04 have an iron block with fully forged internals including Manley rods and what not. The pistons in the GT500 are said to be stronger and better designed than the Terminator pistons were, but the connecting rods is where it lacks its strength. Also when the boost is turned up in the GT500 the rpms must be kept down. That is why any KB'ed GT500 should keep the rev limit around 6000-6250 rpms.

Click for full size

03-04 Cobra rod From left to right: Stock forged cracked-powder rod, Manley upgraded I-beam rod, forged Manley H-beam rod ('03/'04 Cobra) The Cobra rod is even lighter than the other two...

Click for full size
    Ok, then thanks..

From what I read on other forums the GT500 internals don't seem to hold up as well as the terminator pieces even though they are both forged. Some say 800rwhp is the magic number. Don't know if it's due to the rod design or connecting rod weakest point like you are saying..

There is a 920 rwhp Terminator with a Hellion kit on it using stock rotating assembly and a John Lund tune. Also seen a blue GT500 laying down 700 rwhp on stock internals using a Whipple.

Anyways, that little bitch in this thread was spinning hard though before it popped....
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 12-03-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

nice. i know a guy that worked on a gt500 with an aftermarket supercharger on it at a ford dealership. he said that the guy complained of a severe lack of power recently and when they took the engine apart they found that 5 of the 8 cylinders had burned through the pistons.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Ok, then thanks..

From what I read on other forums the GT500 internals don't seem to hold up as well as the terminator pieces even though they are both forged. Some say 800rwhp is the magic number. Don't know if it's due to the rod design or connecting rod weakest point like you are saying..

There is a 920 rwhp Terminator with a Hellion kit on it using stock rotating assembly and a John Lund tune. Also seen a blue GT500 laying down 700 rwhp on stock internals using a Whipple.

Anyways, that little bitch in this thread was spinning hard though before it popped....
    From everything that I have read/heard about the GT500 internals is that they are forged but the connecting rods are weaker plus the more excessive rod angles of the 5.4 make limiting revs to 6250 a must with the broad torque band that it has. The pistons are a take off from the Ford GT but with some different characteristics. The Termi motors have their points too but overall I think the 03-04's can take more abuse since Ford a had done some extensive research on them to get them to work with the S/C. The 5.4 was a newer design when they made the GT500 and look at it now they are still making improvements to it every year.
    Last edited by Packy; 12-03-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post

Click for full size

Click for full size
    yessir this is the problem...anyone running stock rods ALWAYS take the chance, lightnings and HD have the same problem

not the tuners fault, he does some badass shit....i seen his work

BTW the owner of that car has MONEY so he didnt loose any sleep over it lol

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Multi-media section!!!

blue
    2001 WS6

I think I just seen the repainted hood at a car show in Daytona,FL on Saturday.....BAD ASS paint

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Do all of the newer dynos come with a fat guy to put in the trunk?

Silence Is Not Golden. stolenthunder's Avatar

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

That's a really nice car. Sucks.

There's a red gt500 for sale down the street from me. Been there for 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information