Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Greek suicides....

Was just reading an article about the suicide rate in Greece has jumped 40% due to the collapsing economy there. One of the examples they gave was of a man that got denied at a bank and then set himself on fire. Ok.....the fact you have gas/lighter fluid or whatever with you meant you probably kinda knew you weren't going to get the help. Secondly who in the hell thinks fire is the best/quickest way to go out? Does no one in Greece own ropes or knives? Guns I can see them not owning because they're not a kick ass country like we are to where we can own a firearm and get our suicides over with the least amount of pain and suffering. They light themselves on fire and cook. I just don't get it. Step out in front of a bus, jump off a building ( big building), or dive in a pond and take a deep breath. Any of those would be a much quicker and lesser pain option than fire.

2002 Firebird Formula

He was probably wishing he didn't do that right after he lit the fire.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

right......almost immediately I bet

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Neighbor next door committed suicide by hanging himself I think a few months ago. he was about to lose his house apparently and he couldn't take the pain. Its some pretty scary stuff when you think about whats happening in this world

blue
    1999 TransAm

greece is cluster-F central... i'm sure i have a myopic view on the situation there, ..but i get the feeling it's an incessant state of serfs rioting in response to the collapsing nanny state... maybe some folks feel they can't escape to a better place??... ...maybe we are seeing the future unfold right before our eyes...

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Was just reading an article about the suicide rate in Greece has jumped 40% due to the collapsing economy there. One of the examples they gave was of a man that got denied at a bank and then set himself on fire. Ok.....the fact you have gas/lighter fluid or whatever with you meant you probably kinda knew you weren't going to get the help. Secondly who in the hell thinks fire is the best/quickest way to go out? Does no one in Greece own ropes or knives? Guns I can see them not owning because they're not a kick ass country like we are to where we can own a firearm and get our suicides over with the least amount of pain and suffering. They light themselves on fire and cook. I just don't get it. Step out in front of a bus, jump off a building ( big building), or dive in a pond and take a deep breath. Any of those would be a much quicker and lesser pain option than fire.

You'd think he would at least have the drive to maybe fight a few lions and tigers or something, in the spirit of Greece. That would be a more epic way to go out.

I keed I keed. Sucks people are resorting to that.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I cannot self terminate. Several years back, we had a guy that was a grade ahead of me in school take his car over the edge of the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Not a very pleasant way to go either, but like the man in Greece, he was attempting to make a statement by the manner apparently. Some twisted folds out there, and I am simply glad that they only choose to end their own lives and not take others out with them.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Unfortunately, there's a lot of twisted folks out there who DO make a lot of impact on others lives. I've never heard the final 'ruling' as to why, but how about the guy who jumped off the bridge up in Corning a few weeks back, then was hit by 3 different vehicles in a row? Buddy of mine drove through there shortly after before they closed the road, and said it was pretty much horrifying as there were body parts pretty much scattered all over the road. That is at least 4 people who have to live with that the rest of their lives, not including all the emergency personnel and other drivers passing through. Couple years back up in Elmira, dude walking down the 4lane at night in dark clothes, stepped out in front of a car and killed himself. Again, all those folks have to deal with that now. It's a fucked up mess of a world we live in, why make it worse by doing something like that?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

So whould this be called a "Greek Tragedy"?

too soon?

Bunch of Drama Queens
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 02-16-2012 at 07:28 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Out of curiosity, I searched for statistics on the Great Depression (circa 1929) and it appears that 23,000 people committed suicide in a single year. According to the info, that is the highest rate per 100,000 people ever. In comparison, 29,350 people in the U.S. committed suicide in 2000. That's six times the entire population of my hometown.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

thats natural selection at work. who are we to fight nature? lol

hypo yellow
    2002 vx ss

You said kick arse country have a look at how much the usa is in debt, suicide is world wide it reflects the time we live in, have a nice day cheers Nav. ps type in usa debt clock.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's why we're a world leader.......how many other countries watch Australia's stock market as closely as they watch ours? Our country is kick ass.....greatest on the planet. I didn't say perfect but we kick some ass. Funny how you, like every other foreigner, pick stuff out of context in order to point out our shortcomings. I was speaking strictly from a right to bear arms aspect and somehow you twisted into something about debt? You should look up the Australian debt clock while you're at it.......glass houses.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

White people problems....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    definitely......

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ok....I'm seeing a trend here. Just read another story about a girl that broke her neck diving into a pool and was paralyzed. She starved herself to death to commit suicide. Another dumbass way of going.

hypo yellow
    2002 vx ss

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    What dont black people commit suicide ?????? We have a big problem with the blacks eg, early deaths from substans abuse. Hey at leased we are on the same side cheers Nav short for navajo indian i am NOT a Foreigner....

red
    95 Z28

Yeah, lets not turn this into USA vs Australia.

impulse blue
    06 GTO

what about the economic ripple effect that will hit the united states?

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

An example of the economic ripple...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information