Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 100

The great drummers of Rock N Roll

This is a discussion on The great drummers of Rock N Roll within the Almost Anything Goes forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Originally Posted by silverWS.6 What about James "The Rev" Sullivan from A7X that recently died? Is A7X short hand or ...

  1. #61
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    What about James "The Rev" Sullivan from A7X that recently died?
    Is A7X short hand or a nickname for Avenge Sevenfold? I was hitting you tube and google and I kept getting Avenge Sevenfold. I like their music as well, good stuff.

  2. #62
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    85

    Blue
    2000 TA

    Danny Seraphine(original Chicago drummer) was a master of jazz rock drumming.

  3. #63
    used and abused at wot ibanez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Crystal Lake IL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,517

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

    Scott Rockenfield - Queensryche
    Matt McDonough - Mudvayne
    Vinnie Paul - Pantera/damageplan/hellyeah
    Mike Portnoy - Dream theater/liquid Tension
    Gene Hoglan - strapping young lad/fear factory/other bands
    Nicholas Barker - cradle of filth/dimmor borgir
    Terry Bozzio - Vai and other bands
    Raymond Herrera - fear factory (when they first started)


    The drummers I listed either innovated drumming, mastered drumming and or both, from progressive, double kick bass, simple blues and groove...

    These are my favorites and who i feel are the best
    Last edited by ibanez7; 01-09-2010 at 11:18 AM.

  4. #64
    used and abused at wot ibanez7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Crystal Lake IL
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,517

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Syncopation is when you play at the same meter as the rest of the band but you don't play the typical 2 and 4 as the downbeat (in a 4/4 staff). Such as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. this repesents 1/8 notes in a 4/4 (4 quarter notes = 1 bar) with emphasis on the bold notes.

    This is very simple explanation. I take it you don't read music?


    as a guitarist I do alot of that with the drummers/bassist I work with. I play before or after downbeat.

  5. #65
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    The Reverend Horton Heat used to have drummer called "TAZ"...the guy was great they did a remake of the Johnny Quest theme ... Goes to show you the Best drummers may not play in Rock...
    was looking for a vid of the Reverend found this thought it was cool
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bum69mmW6w&feature=related[/ame]
    Last edited by snaggeltooth; 01-09-2010 at 12:53 PM.

  6. #66
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Marylandistan
    Posts
    5,764

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    Scott Rockenfield - Queensryche
    Matt McDonough - Mudvayne
    Vinnie Paul - Pantera/damageplan/hellyeah
    Mike Portnoy - Dream theater/liquid Tension
    Gene Hoglan - strapping young lad/fear factory/other bands
    Nicholas Barker - cradle of filth/dimmor borgir
    Terry Bozzio - Vai and other bands
    Raymond Herrera - fear factory (when they first started)


    The drummers I listed either innovated drumming, mastered drumming and or both, from progressive, double kick bass, simple blues and groove...

    These are my favorites and who i feel are the best
    Well this is the best list I've seen yet. I'm tired of drum threads with Neil Peart, Neil Peart, Neil Peart. Drumming has evolved. Gene Hoglan blows him away.

  7. #67
    Member 408WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Houston
    Age
    52
    Posts
    401

    Current best: 10.60/126.8
    1998 Pontiac TA WS6

    Haven't read the whole thread, but the first drummer that comes to mind as being the greatest drummer is John Bonham.

  8. #68
    Senior Member snaggeltooth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    alabama
    Posts
    7,203

    Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Well this is the best list I've seen yet. I'm tired of drum threads with Neil Peart, Neil Peart, Neil Peart. Drumming has evolved. Gene Hoglan blows him away.
    I do like that the cymbal stands are made out of that chain looking stuff .. Never really liked Geoff Tates voice tho..

  9. #69
    Senior Member bigrondownhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,691

    always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

    What about this kid? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZPalZkNzAk&feature=related[/ame]

  10. #70
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Marylandistan
    Posts
    5,764

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Nobody has ever topped Buddy Rich, nobody ever will either. Steve Gadd, Dennis Chambers, etc, all awesome but don't come close. Period. Buddy was the man, hung at the Playboy mansion with Heph too.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3meL51Dkg[/ame]

  11. #71
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    cool. these are all good options to follow and listen.

    i have to admit i wasn't sure if any one would bring up buddy rich. sometimes the old stuff is great for change. it is so nice to expose the kids to the old and the new. guitar hero is fun to get the little ones going back in time, but there is so much more out there.

  12. #72
    Senior Member kool-aide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Deltona, FL
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,220

    Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

    i hate to see what buddy does after a double shot of espresso, lol...

  13. #73
    Member totalkos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Orleans
    Age
    32
    Posts
    389

    Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    if you haven't been able to locate them I attached a video of casiopea from 1984. I got to see these guys play at a little club in Venice Ca called the "Come Back Inn" back in 1982.
    disturbing

  14. #74
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    disturbing
    ???? That's an unusual answer. Why "disturbing"?

  15. #75
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    Is A7X short hand or a nickname for Avenge Sevenfold? I was hitting you tube and google and I kept getting Avenge Sevenfold. I like their music as well, good stuff.

  16. #76
    down in it 310stanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    nj
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,976

    white
    90 Mustang 5.0

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Nobody has ever topped Buddy Rich, nobody ever will either. Steve Gadd, Dennis Chambers, etc, all awesome but don't come close. Period. Buddy was the man, hung at the Playboy mansion with Heph too.
    How does he keep his arms/shoulders from cramping?

  17. #77
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Marylandistan
    Posts
    5,764

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    How does he keep his arms/shoulders from cramping?
    Good drummers don't use their arms much. It's all done with the fingers. Watch this vid, Dave Weckel explains it.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=053bC81Lcv4[/ame]

  18. #78
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Marylandistan
    Posts
    5,764

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    I know it looks like he's straining using his arms and shoulders but I'm sure he could sit there entirely still doing those snare rolls not moving his arms or even his hands.

  19. #79
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I know it looks like he's straining using his arms and shoulders but I'm sure he could sit there entirely still doing those snare rolls not moving his arms or even his hands.
    That's why he mentioned finger control. When the drum sticks start going a certain speed you use what's called rebound and finger control to control the speed. What he was doing there is called a single stroke roll (16th notes = 1 bar: LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR). This also works with a double stroke roll (16th notes = 1 bar: LLRRLLRRLLRRLLRR) and paradiddles (16th notes = 1 bar: LRLLRLRRLRLLRLRR).

    Do you play drums by any chance? If you've taken any lessons then you know what I mean.

    There is way more to it than that but I hope you get the idea.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 01-10-2010 at 07:22 PM.

  20. #80
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Marylandistan
    Posts
    5,764

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    That's why he mentioned finger control. When the drum sticks start going a certain speed you use what's called rebound and finger control to control the speed. What he was doing there is called a single stroke roll (16th notes - LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR). This also works with a double stroke roll (16th notes - LLRRLLRRLLRRLLRR) and paradiddles (16th notes - LRLLRLRRLRLLRLRR).

    Do you play drums by any chance? If you've taken any lessons then you know what I mean.

    There is way more to it than that but I hope you get the idea.
    Yeah I played for a while.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. any drummers?
    By 0rion in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-24-2016, 08:53 AM
  2. Rock and roll hall of fame!!!
    By REVNORR82 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 09:20 AM
  3. My Merry Christmas Rock-n-Roll Music Video 2006
    By Johnny Mac in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
  4. Who are the worst guitarists, drummers, bassists in bands?
    By Mike Hawk in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-04-2006, 10:49 AM
  5. KBPI Rock 'N Roll car show....
    By Mr. Luos in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 05:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •