pewter
    2001 Z28

Grandpas not doing so hot....

For the last 3 weeks he's been feeling bad. Back hurting, sick to his stomach, and other things. Him and my grandma go to the doctor. He says "Oh your just getting old. Heres some vicodin to help with the pain. Well the pain was only a mask for what was about to come.

Tuesday he goes in for a ct scan and they find nothing. Has been throwing up since last thursday. Once again, the stupid cocksucker doctor just brushes it off that hes old and is just having some stomach problems. They go home tuesday after the ct scan and on the way home he pulls over 3 times to throw up.

Get home and he's too uncomfortable to stand or sit. So my grandma calls the emt to have him transported back to the hospital. My grandparents live out in the country and the hospital is 45-60 min away so its very inconvenient in this aspect too. Gets to the hospital and they do blood work. Find that he has pancreatitis. He gets admitted for the night. They say hes going to not be able to ingest anything and has live off of an i.v. for 3-4 days so his digeestive system can relax and heal. No biggie compared to now.

So i see him wednesday and he's doing, so so, but not great. Just feeling crappy. I go to see him yestarday morning with my grandma and he has a full oxygen mask on, is real short of breath and just not even really comprehending anything. Seemed confused. We find out after 5 min of being there that he's getting transferred to ICU. So now we have an indication of how serious this is.

My grandma requested to have him transferred to big Missouri Baptist in St. Louis instead of the little one in Sullivan. They sedated him up here, put him on a ventilation machine, and other machines. We find out that his kidneys, pancreas, and his lungs are failing. They took him into do another ct scan and found a perforated ulcer which was letting lactic acid leak out and attack other organs.

They have to do surgery immediately which they told us that being 78 years old, there is a chance he may not make it. So he goes in about 730 last night and they find a section of his bowels are dead. Get rid of the ulcer and get him cleaned out of the lactic acid. Then they immediately put him on constant dialysis. Well its not working.

The dialysis machine can't filter the lactic acid out of his system enough and the lactic levels keep rising. Its looking pretty grim.

I love my grandfather and he is one hell of a stubborn ol' bastard but i know he doesn't want the quality of life that he will have after this. So im not saying im giving up, but i want him to be as comfortable as possible. Im still praying for him and that all ends well.

Before they took him in last night, while he was sedated i got to hold his hand. I felt a little squeeze which was awesome because he always shook my hand anytime i left or he left. And for that im very very grateful. It was a weak squeeze but it was enough to let me know that he knows whats going on. He actually opened his a eyes a bit earlier today when i was talking to him and looked around at me but only for a second. He has a little bit of conciousness in his sedation.

Keep him in your prayers that he at least stays comfortable if this doesn't work for him.

Thank you,

Rob
    ____

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Here's to his healing

01 modded gtp

sorry to hear that man spend as much time with him as possible. My grandpa has been gone for 3 years and I miss him everyday

01 modded gtp

also cheers to great grandpas

Black
    1999 Trans Am Ws6/M6

hes in my prayers man

It has a big wing!

Hey man...read your post and just wanted to say, hang in there.

It truly is a blessing to be close to your grandpa like this.These days fewer and fewer people get to realize how special that is. Or they don't even appreciate it at all!

Hang in there,be strong and even IF (hoping they don't) things get worse,you grandpa probably couldn't ask for anything better than people like yourself being around him...

Prayers going out!!

It's tough to see them like that. My pap battled cancer for years, skin and bone, and went in for surgery for his arm and never recovered. He chose to have it done. Definetly miss him. Hopefully yours pulls through!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

My prayers will be with your family.

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

So sorry to hear this

pewter
    2001 Z28

Thank you yo all of you. Came back up here at 130 because he had a very irregular heartbeat, it was actually a fatal rhythm but they got it under control. My whole family was camped out on the waiting room floor.

Unfortunaetly, he passed at 616. It's unfortunate, yes, but I'm much happier that even though this isn't the result we wanted, he's done with all this shit.

Thank you all,

rob

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I am sorry about your loss, and I am glad you got to be their with him, I am sure he is in a better place. Sending prayers out from baghdad for your family.

pewter
    2001 Z28

Thanks everyone. He went peacefully. Now the fun begins between funeral arrangements, getting my grandma set up, and doing whatever with his possesions with his truck.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Ahhh man not the ending I was hoping for. Sounds like he had a great family that was there for him until the end...that's all we can ask for in this life.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

This might not go with the over-all mood of the thread, but I feel a need to vent.

I HATE BAD DOCTORS!!!!

The sad thing is, the first thing that came to my mind when I read the first post was "man, that sounds like a nasty ulcer".

I am not a doctor. Not even close. The reason that came to mind, is because my grandmother almost died the same way because of a misdiagnosed ulcer....

She survived it, only to have her liver fail a year later.......

If there was ever a profession in the world that can simply not allow lack of caring, ignorance, or laziness to afflict its ranks, its that of a doctor. I perpetually despise those docs out there who through their own inaction or failings allow someone elses loved ones to pass away when it was never nessicary.

*sigh*

I'm sorry for you man, and I hope you and all your family pull through this ok. And please give that doctor a swift kick in the nuts for me.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm so sorry to hear that. It's a tough thing for sure. I was very close with my grandparents growing up too. To this day, my grandpa is my favorite person ever and I think of him daily. My grandma too.

Sending good thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

01 modded gtp

Sorry to hear of his passing at least he is in a better place

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Sorry for your loss but your grandfather will live on forever in your heart, be thankful you spent time with him near the end. Keep those good thoughts with you, you will be surprised how you remember those as you get older in years to come.

white
    1997 dodge dakota

he went to heaven

So sorry to hear about your grandpa... I will keep your grandmother, you and your family in my prayers...
    Last edited by Xx JEWEL xX; 10-04-2009 at 06:02 AM.

pewter
    2001 Z28

Well everything is going as good as it can. He did give us all a good laugh right before they sedated him. My grandma always wants to sing to everyone even tho she's a terrible singer. It's kindve a family joke you don't want her singing but I like her too. Anyways she asked him if he wanted her to sing. He said "Ah, hell no gerrie.". She said, "are you sure Bobbie?" he kindve waved his hand and quietly said no. Lol. He wasn't being mean. Like I said it was always a family joke.

Thanks for all the support. My family greatly appreciates it all.

Thread Information