Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got my 4.10s

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

got my 4.10s

i had my 4.10s installed today and its NASTY. im glad i went with them.
    i would deff. recommend them to someone with a m6
    1999 mbm Z m6/ forged 346, lt's, wires, ls6 intake, sts rear turbo.

*SOLD*2002 black ws6- <Bolt ons, ls6 heads, mild cam, dyno tune, full susp. and 4.10s> --440rwhp/395rwtq

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I'm thinking after H/C of going with 2.73's or so. Nothing like doing 70 in first and covering the 1/4 in 2 or 3 gears. 6th would be useless but who cares, 5th is the new 6th.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

whats your other mods?

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by jaslivers View Post
    whats your other mods?
    open vette filter, throttle body, plugs, wires, stock ported heads, small cam, kooks lt's and y with slp resonater underdrives, elec. water pump stock MAF and intake man. and a daily driver tune.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I'm thinking after H/C of going with 2.73's or so. Nothing like doing 70 in first and covering the 1/4 in 2 or 3 gears. 6th would be useless but who cares, 5th is the new 6th.
    idk man.. i think that would have a crappy launch??

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

would it make much difference on a lid, exhaust m6?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I thought about that too. Lose alot of bottom end. Might be too low, maybe 3.23's or something. Once my H/C is done, not touching it til rebuild time.

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

what size is your cam?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I thought about that too. Lose alot of bottom end. Might be too low, maybe 3.23's or something. Once my H/C is done, not touching it til rebuild time.
    I think you have your thinking reversed.

murdered out 06 z06

4.10s kick ass!! i had my stock rear end still and broke about 4 sets of them when i had my ws6.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

would it make much difference on a lid, exhaust m6?
    4.10s? YEA!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Your logic is completely ass backwards. If you have a medium to large size cam, you NEED the steep gears to get you going in 1st,2nd when your larger cam isnt producing the low end torque. Are you M6? Doesnt even matter. Even if your A4, going with anything below 3.73's after heads and cam install is going to make your car feel like a toal slouche. You will need a steeper gear.

Even a stoxk cammed f-body needs a steeper gear IMO. Ecspecially M6 cars. If your M6, dont even look at anything but a 4.10.

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

what size is your cam?
    not sure, lost the cam card in the move, its not real nasty tho. you can hear it lope but not like crazy

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Your logic is completely ass backwards. If you have a medium to large size cam, you NEED the steep gears to get you going in 1st,2nd when your larger cam is producing the low end torque. Also, 2.73 or 3.23 is too high. Are you M6? Doesnt even matter. Even if your A4, going with anything below 3.73's after heads and cam install is going to make your car feel like a toal slouche. You will need a steeper gear.

Even a stoxk cammed f-body needs a steeper gear IMO. Ecspecially M6 cars. If your M6, dont even look at anything but a 4.10.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I'm not going with a huge cam. Cam I got picked is 1,800 to 6,400 rpm range. Granted it will take time to get in the power band so to speak, you will stay in the band a greater amount of time. And with less shifts, you would gain time each shift. And with gearing like that, your traction would benefit from not frying the tires at a first gear punch at 30mph. I'm not even close to expert but wouldn't my thinking be correct. If not, I am up for people more versed then me explaining it. I won't be ordering gears for a good amount of time so I have nothing on my hands but time

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    open vette filter, throttle body, plugs, wires, stock ported heads, small cam, kooks lt's and y with slp resonater underdrives, elec. water pump stock MAF and intake man. and a daily driver tune.
    Is just me or does your power seem a little high with just those mods? You must have one hell of a tuner.....

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    Is just me or does your power seem a little high with just those mods? You must have one hell of a tuner.....
    i thought so too, i was excited whenever i saw the numbers, and the cam might be pretty good size, just the lobe seperation make it not sound super nasty

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

congrats on the purchase/install

I run 4.10s in my strange dana s60, even with the 4.10 gears I still hold first gear up to 63mph before shifting. (built up valvetrain, rev limiter is set at 7500, car was still making hp too)

however if you have 4.10 gears in a stock 10 bolt, dont be mad or cry when they break. a 7.5" 4.10 gears is made of less material, creates more stress and can not handle the added stress.

if you want the stock rearend and 4.10 to have a chance of survival.
    -dont launch on a sticky tire
    -dont launch at high rpms
    -install lcas

if you do want to chance it and (launch hard)
    -weld the axle tubes
    -install axle tube to pumpkin braces
    -lighten your car a lot...

a lightened car will ran faster and place less loaded stress on the stock rearend.
    or do as I did, buy and install a Strange Dana S60... the are bullet proof and if they do break Dana 60 rearend parts are cheap!

Black
    2002 ws6 (6 speed)

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post

I run 4.10s in my strange dana s60, even with the 4.10 gears I still hold first gear up to 63mph before shifting. (built up valvetrain, rev limiter is set at 7500, car was still making hp too)

however if you have 4.10 gears in a stock 10 bolt, dont be mad or cry when they break. a 7.5" 4.10 gears is made of less material, creates more stress and can not handle the added stress.

-install lcas

-weld the axle tubes

a lightened car will ran faster and place less loaded stress on the stock rearend.
    or do as I did, buy and install a Strange Dana S60... the are bullet proof and if they do break Dana 60 rearend parts are cheap!
    yea im not gonna launch my car until i get a rearend, only babying it. and thanks

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I'm not going with a huge cam. Cam I got picked is 1,800 to 6,400 rpm range. Granted it will take time to get in the power band so to speak, you will stay in the band a greater amount of time. And with less shifts, you would gain time each shift. And with gearing like that, your traction would benefit from not frying the tires at a first gear punch at 30mph. I'm not even close to expert but wouldn't my thinking be correct. If not, I am up for people more versed then me explaining it. I won't be ordering gears for a good amount of time so I have nothing on my hands but time
    Maybe I said it in the wrong text. AAG gets me sometimes. I really think you will be dissapointed going with either two of those two gears choices. What it comes down to is.... lets get into the high horsepower powerband. With the 2.73's it is gonna take longer to get into your cams powerband because your egnines is not revving up as quickly as it could with a steeper gear. What cam are you going with? It seems all cam manufacturs all say ehh.... 2200 to 6600 rpm. Thats what Ive noticed when looking at my cam selections. When you say, "Granted it will take a greater amount of time".... Thats exactly it. The person next to you with the steeper gear will get to their powerband QUICKER. Get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by adam3566 View Post
    I was thinking so also, But the mods list is very vague.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic_ws6 View Post
    i thought so too, i was excited whenever i saw the numbers, and the cam might be pretty good size, just the lobe seperation make it not sound super nasty
    What cam? Did the previos owner even tell you? What was done to the heads? The other mods dont really add HP. Filter, plugs, wires. What TB, What intake? Everyone has a TB and Intake Well, most What do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post

-install lcas

-weld the axle tubes

Yep yep

I have heard the dana 60's be almost overkill. Dont have any experiance besides what I have heard on the e-web. That said, I have also heard and seen once in person... a 12 bolt go down. Sometimes I wish I had a 9' instead of a 12 bolt. But Im by no means a hard core drag racer, so Im very sure my 12 bolt will take just about any beating I personally can throw at it on the street. But the fact is, the 10 bolt will break in your driveway.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 03-28-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information