Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Talking Got me a new dog

Bought us a Rottweiler puppy this morning, he's two months old and playful. We've been wanting a dog for a while, especially a big dog to keep outside as a guard dog and to have as a pet. He's a cute little thing but I can allready tell he's going to be huge. His paws are bigger at two months old than our old shetland sheepdogs were as an adult. He's got a really playful temperment too. How big do these dogs get full grown? I've heard around 150 lbs, I know they get stout though.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I have a 7yr old Rottie, I don't think I will ever get another breed of dog! Rottie's can get pretty big but if you look to the parents you'll get a good idea how big he will get. My dog's father was 180Lb and the mother was 115Lb I got the pick of the litter (female) and my dog is 115Lb just like her mom.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Sorry, I meant to add a big CONGRATS!!!!!!!

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

wow a 180 lb guard dog! that oughta be big enough for any occasion!

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Thanks! I'm happy I got a Rottweiler instead of that pomeranian that the wife wanted. This will be my first Rott, I've owned a shetland sheepdog which got hit by a car. I liked that dog, it would follow you anywhere. I used to have a Chow, full blooded too and she had an attitude, used to fuck with her all the time and get her pissed. She was a fun dog to wrestle with, she'd growl at anyone she didn't know that would get near me. Had a few mutts but the chow was the biggest I've ever owned. Two years ago we bought a Bassit hound, he was a neat dog with those big ears and wrinkly skin but unfortunatley someone grabbed him off the line in the back yard one night.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve View Post
    wow a 180 lb guard dog! that oughta be big enough for any occasion!
    No kidding, mine will weigh as much as me, Damn! I'd hate to piss him off, how long does it take them to get full grown?

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

my dog was about 2 when she became full grown.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i'm not down with dogs that can out grow me...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I had a rott that was 140lbs and pretty lean....it really just depends on it's genetics. I've never seen a lean rott that was 180lbs.....my g/f works at a vet and she hasn't either

I love rotts but cancer runs through the breed like wild fire...my old rott was 6 when he died of bone cancer. Just enjoy your new rott as long as you can...they're the best dogs in the world IMO. I never thought I could feel so much pain over a dog when mine died...

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign View Post
    i'm not down with dogs that can out grow me...
    Any big dog has to be trained or it'll be hell trying to control it...but i'd really look into it if I were you especially when you get married and your wife might be alone a lot. There's just something special about owning a dog that's loveable but capable of defending you and your family....it's something you can never feel with a small dog.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Any big dog has to be trained or it'll be hell trying to control it...but i'd really look into it if I were you especially when you get married and your wife might be alone a lot. There's just something special about owning a dog that's loveable but capable of defending you and your family....it's something you can never feel with a small dog.
    Thats exactly right, another reason I'm glad I bought him. My wife refuses to learn how to shoot a gun so whenever I'm out of town I worry about her. We've been having some forced entries here in Knoxville, one in our subdivision about three months ago. If someone see's a Rottweiler outside or even inside the house they'll think twice. I know if I'm home they won't live two seconds because I've got several guns hidden throughout the house. You can't trust anyone anymore, hell, yesterday this guy rung the doorbell so I go to see what he wants. It's some crackhead dude in his early 20's dressed like a thug asking if I wanted to buy a GPS that plugs into a car cigarette lighter, most likely stolen. I said nope, I use a map so I have no need for that thing. He kept asking why I wasn't interested so I said, look man, you better just get the fuck off my porch and take your stolen GPS somewhere else. He just turned around and left, fuckin crackhead. I could smell weed on his breath, what an idiot. That's why I hate my wife being home alone while I''m outta town.

Black
    '98 Z28

Congrats,

Here's my new pup, just got her last week.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 98-LS1 View Post
    Thats exactly right, another reason I'm glad I bought him. My wife refuses to learn how to shoot a gun so whenever I'm out of town I worry about her. We've been having some forced entries here in Knoxville, one in our subdivision about three months ago. If someone see's a Rottweiler outside or even inside the house they'll think twice. I know if I'm home they won't live two seconds because I've got several guns hidden throughout the house. You can't trust anyone anymore, hell, yesterday this guy rung the doorbell so I go to see what he wants. It's some crackhead dude in his early 20's dressed like a thug asking if I wanted to buy a GPS that plugs into a car cigarette lighter, most likely stolen. I said nope, I use a map so I have no need for that thing. He kept asking why I wasn't interested so I said, look man, you better just get the fuck off my porch and take your stolen GPS somewhere else. He just turned around and left, fuckin crackhead. I could smell weed on his breath, what an idiot. That's why I hate my wife being home alone while I''m outta town.
    i thought you 2 were having problems? sorry to go

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    Congrats,

Here's my new pup, just got her last week.

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Cool . A star is born. Fav. chew toy .....2" by 4"

forest green
    1994 Firehawk

I owned a ADRK Rott, I bought him in Berlin Gerrmany for 1200. Keno von Lempke. You should do the research on him. Check the hips of the parents if you can. ADRK is very strict compared to AKC if it is registered. Good luck make sure you train your friend. He will grow up fast so make it know who is dominate so you don't have to get rid of him.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign View Post
    i thought you 2 were having problems? sorry to go

We were and still are from time to time but I'm trying my hardest to work things out. She came out and said she'd take me to the cleaners if I left her, crazy ass woman, so I'm trying every available option to make things work.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by kage 62005 View Post
    Same here, i just bought an Akita male pup. If this Akita is half as smart and loyal as my Chance was i will be one happy MoFo. I had to euthanize my square head rottie few months back do to cancer. Very cruel disease. Will never get another rott, he was my first and only. smart as they get. I miss that MoFo like crazy. He would have just turned eight. Almost forgot, Males anywhere from 115-200lb, Females 90-130lb or more.. Mine was 138lb. Look at the Akita he is only 2mo this little shit will be huge, for Akita breed that is . Here are picks of my late boy Congrats & good luck with your new pup, you will love this breed !!!

That is one good looking dog! Sorry to hear about your rottie, I was reading yesterday about the diseases these breeds get and they can be rough. Something about some kind of hip mis-alignment, chances for cancer later on in there life, etc... I just hope little Taz, his new name, grows up without a problem. I gave him a bath yesterday and let him run around the house. He is one playful puppy! BTW, What's the trick to house training a Rottweiler to go outside to use the bathroom? We are keeping him inside until I get my privacy fence finished behind the house.

Black
    2000 WS.6

When he does pee or shits in the house, grab him and stick his face in it, tell him NO at the same time, smack him on the ass few times, say OUTSIDE then throw him out. After few times he will get the drift. Mine learned after 3 times of doing this. But like i said he was one in a million.. These dogs are supersmart so i wouln't worry about him learning fast...
    That only teaches the dog not to stick his nose in the mess...you have to catch the dog in the act and scold, then run them right outside. They have short memories when it comes to that stuff...
    Just bring the dog outside every couple hours whether it needs to go or not. Especially first thing in the morning, after it eats, or when wakes up from a nap. My Malinois had the housebreaking thing down in a few weeks...

Also, crate it when you leave the house and for the night...trust me on that one....

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by Bombhunter View Post
    That only teaches the dog not to stick his nose in the mess...you have to catch the dog in the act and scold, then run them right outside. They have short memories when it comes to that stuff...
    Just bring the dog outside every couple hours whether it needs to go or not. Especially first thing in the morning, after it eats, or when wakes up from a nap. My Malinois had the housebreaking thing down in a few weeks...

Also, crate it when you leave the house and for the night...trust me on that one....
    and like kage said rotts are very smart....your puppy will be house broken in no time. Catch him while he's going dookie....say NO....and then bring him outside and say whatever command you want him to learn for going to the bathroom. I've used potty....go potty works also. I've always used a command for them to go...otherwise later on you'll let him outside to go and sometimes he'll start playing instead of pissing....he'll eventually go but it's good for him to know what you want him to do IMO.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Yes, these dogs are prone to hip dysplasia, not all but.... Again, i was lucky with mine, as far as this bullshit disease goes, but had no luck with cancer.... HATE that FUCKING word. Have Taz checked out by vet. now and then, they will be able to tell you, if he will get it or not.... Is Taz AKC sertified ? P. S. Hide your shoes, unless you like shopping for shoes

Yep, he's certified and full blooded. We've allready found out about the shoes being a chew toy! He got ahold of my work boots and had a field day This is the most playful puppy I have ever owned, he doesn't slow down for one second! We are taking him to the Vet this Wednesday to get his shots and tags, oh, would you guys recommend having his tail chopped like most people do? Both of his parents had theirs done but we are kinda iffy about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information