Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Got Hozed at work today

so I like to think of myself as a good worker. I show up everyday and do my job well... ETC. I also to this point have perfect attendance.

So Back in May, I tried to get a vacation day. My Boss never got back to me... Probably forgot before I left. Anyways it's always been all good so I don't worry about it. So I never heard from him and I thought well I better call in just to cover my ass so I don't have a no call no show. When I go in the next day, He knows the deal and gives me a vacation day. No harm no foul.

4 months later I get called up to HR and they ask me about it... We have 3 personal days which are paid but come out of your earned vacation time. You can use them and not get in trouble for not showing up. If you do not use them you just use them like a pre-approved vacation day. All vacation time is use it or lose it.

Long story short, since I called in to cover my ass, they said I called in so I have to use one of my personal days... Which means I no longer have perfect attendance and I no longer qualify for the cash bonus for perfect attendance. Just pisses me off. I could understand it if it was last week and they bring it up... But 4 f'n months later.

Pisses me off that there were a few days I could have stayed my ass to home. I don't expect alot of sympthay but you would think they would take care of the people who show up everyday and work hard.

blue
    1999 TransAm

you have failed to embrace rule #1 of CYA (i.e."cover your ass")

1. Rule #1 of CYA is to get it in writing.... email, letter, fax...

2. Rule #2 : if you failed to execute rule #1, ...proceed to Title II, Paragraph 3; SOL ("short of luck")...

good luck next time, now that you know rule #1..

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

talked to your boss about it?

midnight blue

Yea, I know guys. Most the time I just tell him, hey I need this day off and I get it. He was irked about this situation too. It was just one of those times, I guess. My point is I already received a vacation day. Did it really matter I called in. It was fn 4 months ago. Gotta be bigger issues to deal with than this.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Sounds like your boss didn't properly perform his part of the paperwork.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

wait.....so you mean an employer is trying to fuck an employee out of vacation time, sick leave, personal days etc? Man how unlike them to ever do that! They never do that or fuck up taxes taken out of a paycheck, short hours worked, "forget" bonus money to be paid etc

midnight blue

Preach on bro!!! I'm taking advantage of my remaining call in days. Hopefully it'll happen when 10 other people call in too. No more trying to be exceptional.... shit for the middle and take a day off once in a while.

Ray Charles blue

I hozed a girl at work once......

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I hozed a girl at work once......
    Ditto.

OP - that sucks man. I busted my ass for about 7-8 years for the company I work for and it really never got me anywhere. Now I just work at my own pace and get paid the same.

It's not about what you know...it's about who you know.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    you have failed to embrace rule #1 of CYA (i.e."cover your ass")

1. Rule #1 of CYA is to get it in writing.... email, letter, fax...

2. Rule #2 : if you failed to execute rule #1, ...proceed to Title II, Paragraph 3; SOL ("short of luck")...

good luck next time, now that you know rule #1..

Ray Charles blue

I feel for the OP, the issue is that in todays work place we almost have to just swallow our pride and go with the flow. It sucks..................

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Rule number 1, never forget they don't give 2 shits about you, you are a number..

If you quit tomorrow you will be replaced with someone whom they will likely pay less than they pay you..

Businesses want to make money (#1 rule in business), and save it too, everything is geared towards THEIR bottom line, not yours..

Businesses try to under cut everything, even if you get killed on the job...

As stated above, get everything in writing, signed, and double check you're ducks are in a row..

Just my .02...and partly why I'm self employed...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

True statement. You will never really get ahead working for "the man". This is partly why I really want to branch off on my own someday and work as a private engineering consultant. The economy being in this slump has really detoured that for me though the last several years.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    True statement. You will never really get ahead working for "the man". This is partly why I really want to branch off on my own someday and work as a private engineering consultant. The economy being in this slump has really detoured that for me though the last several years.
    Well Jon, ya know I'm gonna say, "go for it", Many upstart small businesses lose money for their first year or two (ask me how I know lulz)..

Maybe by then you'll be off the ground and the econ will have picked up..

IMHO, I would think someone with your education and experiance, could go far working for yourself..

I have less than half your education, and none of it is in engineering and I'm doing good..

IMHO, I think you could do very well if you could find your nitch..

I don't think I am rich, but I do ok..

We have two places on 3 properties and a couple shops on one of them, but I think 5-6 properties would be too much for me..lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Well Jon, ya know I'm gonna say, "go for it", Many upstart small businesses lose money for their first year or two (ask me how I know lulz)..

Maybe by then you'll be off the ground and the econ will have picked up..

IMHO, I would think someone with your education and experiance, could go far working for yourself..

I have less than half your education, and none of it is in engineering and I'm doing good..

IMHO, I think you could do very well if you could find your nitch..

I don't think I am rich, but I do ok..

We have two places on 3 properties and a couple shops on one of them, but I think 5-6 properties would be too much for me..lol
    A lot of friends are saying the same. I need to think about it some. Finding my niche is the problem. I know what I love to do, but I don't know if it would be worthy of a business.

I think I may do better at something in the entertainment industry. Partly of why I went back to school for business was having hope that someday I would venture off into something on my own or with a business partner.

I know though that most of running a business successfully comes down to not only making smart business decisions, but having common-sense. A lot of "educated" people lack common-sense, which I'm sure you've experienced doing what you do.

I'm not afraid to fail. I have many times. I just need to be in a better place financially first. Maybe in a couple of years I'll really start considering this. It is constantly running through my mind though.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Not to rub it in, but this is why I love my job and I hope nothing ever changes. I'm on good terms with every level of management up to the president and shit like this would never happen.

Gotta stick with smaller companies that are family run and know the right people.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

meh......you could have a lot worse problems. Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on. Next time you'll know to make sure everyone is aware prior to your vacation. Not worth getting too worked up over......you'll have companies do a lot worse to you at some point.

White
    '10 ZR1

I'm sure it isn't the first time people have "gotten hozed" while being in a union. Blame the system, and your boss for not following through on a 'hand-shake' deal the two of you made.

2002 Firebird Formula

The work place never really gives a **** about how hard a person works. It just wants you to work faster. I asked for a pay raise earlier this year and didn't get one. My boss said I wasn't working hard enough (I used to sweat down like a hog, but I don't any more since he said that) and that things aren't getting done around the work place(his fault for hiring ****tacular workers that are lazy). I then asked for a vacation later when he's given other managers several vacations throughout the year. He didn't give me that either. The other day, HIS boss came to the work place, acted like his usual dickish self, and started telling us that we need to work faster...So, naturally, I took my sweet ass time, which I was already doing since my boss pissed me off last time.

It's alot more relaxing when you stop trying to impress your employers. Then, the *****y money they pay you is worth it.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    The work place never really gives a **** about how hard a person works. It just wants you to work faster. I asked for a pay raise earlier this year and didn't get one. My boss said I wasn't working hard enough (I used to sweat down like a hog, but I don't any more since he said that) and that things aren't getting done around the work place(his fault for hiring ****tacular workers that are lazy). I then asked for a vacation later when he's given other managers several vacations throughout the year. He didn't give me that either. The other day, HIS boss came to the work place, acted like his usual dickish self, and started telling us that we need to work faster...So, naturally, I took my sweet ass time, which I was already doing since my boss pissed me off last time. It's alot more relaxing when you stop trying to impress your employers. Then, the *****y money they pay you is worth it.
    Do as you wish, but I'll guarantee you one thing, having a passive-agressive attitude in the work place is not going to yield you the results you are looking for.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information