Thread: Got a guitar

Black
    99 Z28

Got a guitar

I posted before that my dad passed away last week. One of the things my Dad loved most was his music and his guitar. He left his guitar to me. I would like to leave it out so it's displayed and not left in a case, but I also want to make sure it remains in great condition. I have a hard case for it. Is it something that should be left in the case or is it better to let it "breathe"?

I don't know how to play and I would like to learn at some point. (I have - or at least had - the ability to pick up on musical things pretty easily).

It's a Martin. I don't know the model. Anyone know of a way I can find that out?

Anyone know the place to go for someone that knows nothing to pick things up from?

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    I posted before that my dad passed away last week. One of the things my Dad loved most was his music and his guitar. He left his guitar to me. I would like to leave it out so it's displayed and not left in a case, but I also want to make sure it remains in great condition. I have a hard case for it. Is it something that should be left in the case or is it better to let it "breathe"?

I don't know how to play and I would like to learn at some point. (I have - or at least had - the ability to pick up on musical things pretty easily).

It's a Martin. I don't know the model. Anyone know of a way I can find that out?

Anyone know the place to go for someone that knows nothing to pick things up from?
    Look inside the hole in the body. There should be a model number. Id just search some Martin forums and ask them about it. As far as storage leaving it in the case is a better bet.

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

it all has to do where you live!! and how much water is in the air you want it in a hard case but yet at the same time you want it out so the strings dont rust and stain the neck and what not! Sorry to hear about your father I have no clue how I am goin to be when my father goes and its gettin close the fcker is 73 and is workin 50 to 60 hours a week on his feet in a hot machine shop! we aint talkin about cnc either we are talkin manual machinist! Anyhow best thing you can do is treat it like a car keep it locked away most the time take it out to show it off and whipe it down with a real nice soft lent free rag.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

My instrument is a bit different then a guitar, but I imagine if you treat it the same you won't have any problems since mine is the more fragile of the two (about 200 years old from France). I leave mine unpacked for days on end, does not cause any problem. The main purpose of a case is to keep temperature changes slow and keep a physical barrier from harm (getting hit). Just make sure to keep it away from extreme temps (away from vents). There is one other problem with leaving it out is the dust, but that is easily dealt with.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...RWXGG&ZYXSEM=0

guitar humidifier... you can get wall mounts as well to hang it for display... i'll post some pictures of what they look like when i get home for my lunch break...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...RWXGG&ZYXSEM=0

guitar humidifier... you can get wall mounts as well to hang it for display... i'll post some pictures of what they look like when i get home for my lunch break...

my neighbors hate me... they should be glad my peavey rock master tube amp is out of service...

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by TempleU_WS6 View Post
    Look inside the hole in the body. There should be a model number. Id just search some Martin forums and ask them about it. As far as storage leaving it in the case is a better bet.
    Thanks, I looked around in there, but didn't see it. Is there a particular place they are usually put?

I'm not wanting to take off the strings for it.

I live in CO. It's arid here, though it's consistently arid so there is not a lot of fluctuation which I hear is what is most hard on most stringed instruments.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    Thanks, I looked around in there, but didn't see it. Is there a particular place they are usually put?

I'm not wanting to take off the strings for it.

I live in CO. It's arid here, though it's consistently arid so there is not a lot of fluctuation which I hear is what is most hard on most stringed instruments.
    if you want to keep it in good condition keep tension on the strings... you will also want to take it every year to have the truss rod adjusted so that the neck stays straight...

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/m...al-numbers.htm

the SN should be on a sticker either inside the sound hole or possibly engraved in the the back of the head near the tuners...

Thread Information