Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Got fired from my job today :)

This is my night job, waiting at a restaurant around here. My morning job i still have. Haver any of you ever seen the movie "Waiting", where the guy hands back the like 1 dollar tip and says you need it more than me keep it?... Well I kinda did that last night, and the wrong person saw it... Anyways this was supposed to be my last weekend there, I gave them ym 2 weeks notice last last sat, so basically i got fired one night before I was done. Going on vacation then back to school. Anybody else have any funny getting fired stories?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

that movie is awesome!

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

My wife is a life long waitress and has had that happen more times than you can count. What she does is get the manager, or owner to approach the customer, sometimes the owner will tip her, if the customer stiffs her, it's only right.
    2000TA, ARCTIC WHITE, 6 SPD
    ALL THE USUAL STUFF
    A MILE HIGH & A SECOND SLOWER

I'm not saying it's right, but there is no RULE / LAW that says you have to tip a waiter/waitress. Also, I have left no tip when I get bad service. I've also left like 30% tips when out with my friends if the service is good.

Sometimes there are extenuating (sp?) circumstances...

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk1120 View Post
    I'm not saying it's right, but there is no RULE / LAW that says you have to tip a waiter/waitress. Also, I have left no tip when I get bad service. I've also left like 30% tips when out with my friends if the service is good.

agreed... i dont tip because it is customary!
    If the service is acceptable, they will get a fair tip.
    If i am ignored or the service is shit, no tip... great service = great tip

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I get what your saying, but just because your not forced to do somehting doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I've worked in the service industry for 2 years (pizza delivery and 2 waiting jobs) and it is no easy job. Through my experiences I've come across people who tip real good and people who tip like crap, hence win some loose some. But not leaving a tip is f'd up, no matter how bad the service was. First of all, how bad could the service have been? You waited an hour to get your food, 20 minutes to get your drinks, is that really the waiter's fault? If the kitchen takes forever to get somehting out or a bartneder doesnt make the waiter's drinks, why would you blame the waiter? I always did my best to give what my customers wanted and sometimes it paid off and id get like a 100 dollar tip... point is always be fair to you waiter, the minimum you should give is double tax plus 2 dollars.

Silver
    2002 SS

Maybe they will spit in your dinner next time if they remember you.

I've heard of that happening.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    I get what your saying, but just because your not forced to do somehting doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. I've worked in the service industry for 2 years (pizza delivery and 2 waiting jobs) and it is no easy job. Through my experiences I've come across people who tip real good and people who tip like crap, hence win some loose some. But not leaving a tip is f'd up, no matter how bad the service was. First of all, how bad could the service have been? You waited an hour to get your food, 20 minutes to get your drinks, is that really the waiter's fault? If the kitchen takes forever to get somehting out or a bartneder doesnt make the waiter's drinks, why would you blame the waiter? I always did my best to give what my customers wanted and sometimes it paid off and id get like a 100 dollar tip... point is always be fair to you waiter, the minimum you should give is double tax plus 2 dollars.
    I agree. Even on lousy service, I usually leave 15%. One reason, waiters don't get paid minimum wage, they work for tips to supplement the meager hourly rate they do get. Besides, it's honest work and regardless of the situation, that is commendable.

And like derrinx said, it's not the waiters fault the bartender didn't fill the drink order or the cooks were slow getting the food out.

Now if the waiter totally forgets a request or something, I take that into consideration and reduce anything extra that may have been coming their way.

I don't blame the waiter for food taking too long or not getting drinks right away. BUT, I do blame the waiter for not having a good attitude, being sarcastic, not paying attention to my order, messing up the order, and a slew of other things relating to him/her and the way they treat me. Also, stop by once in a while and ask if everything is ok, if I need another drink, would we like dessert.

I can't tell you how many times they have taken my order and the next time I see them they are just dumping off the check. That to me is unacceptable it's like I'm being kicked out. They get nothing from me, and as for getting my food spit in next time it won't happen because I'd never go back to a place with service like that

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I don't blame the waiter for food taking too long or not getting drinks right away. BUT, I do blame the waiter for not having a good attitude, being sarcastic, not paying attention to my order, messing up the order, and a slew of other things relating to him/her and the way they treat me. Also, stop by once in a while and ask if everything is ok, if I need another drink, would we like dessert.

I can't tell you how many times they have taken my order and the next time I see them they are just dumping off the check. That to me is unacceptable it's like I'm being kicked out. They get nothing from me, and as for getting my food spit in next time it won't happen because I'd never go back to a place with service like that
    Yeah, actually i can see not tipping in that situation, but I've never treated any customers like that so i cant imagine why people wouldn't tip me lol...it was a bit of a blow to my ego because i know im good at what i do... but thats not the point. a waiter is supposed to be courtious and treat his customers with respect and i feel that as long a waiter does that people shouldn't be so prissy about the service and point out every tiny problem they saw.

"I can't tell you how many times they have taken my order and the next time I see them they are just dumping off the check"

have you ever thought that thier shift might have ended like an hour ago and after a long as day they jsut want to get home, and theyre stuck with a table now and they can't leave?
    granted thats the wrong way to handle it, whenever that would happen to me id wait a little till afetr my shift ended, ask them if they wanted anything else for the night, and if they would mind if i dropped off the check. It worked 100% of the time and those tables would always tip me well.

Anyways, i wanted to ehar other funny getting fired stories lol, not talk about tipping waiters...FUNNY GETTING FIRED STORIES LETS HEAR THEM!

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    "She broke the cardinal rule. DON'T FUCK with people that handle your food." - Ryan Reynolds

That should be my new sig. I've seen people treat waitresses and waiters like pure shit before and I hope that they fucked with their food like they did in "Waiting". That movie kicks ass and I've seen it 4 times, btw.

I always leave at least a small tip, even if the service is horrible. I've never stiffed a waiter/waitress. And I'm always very polite, even if they are way out of line with making me wait 15 minutes for a refill or other poor service.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

My girl works at applebee's as a hostess and they get a share of the tips. The servers HAVE to pay 10% of their sales in to the pot that this is taken out of. Oh, and the pot is divided between the hostess and busboys and they servers pay the percentage out of their tips. Sooo, bad tips means really bad pay.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Well I guess the closest Ive come to something like this is some years back when I was in high school I used to work at Pizza Hut. Absolutely loved it .. I ate for free for lunch and dinner every day and hooked all of my friends up who came through the drive through with free ones.. anyways though

there was this one bitch who everytime she called to make an order for delivery.. after she ate whatever she asked for .. she allllllllways called back and bitched.. something was always wrong..Well the cooks always had to either remake the pizza and have it sent out .. at the same time they would get bitched at for not doin the pizza right.. well she ordered a pizza with black olives one time after calling back and complaining...

it jussssst so happened that there were a few of those lil black hard shelled beetles running around the edge of the building so .. fed up the cook decided to pop like 4 or 5 on her pizza ... threw it in the oven .. cooked it buried them under the cheese a bit.. sent it to her... and then Im guessing about 2 hours later she calls back up there and I get the call.. she wanted to call back and tell us how amazing the pizza was this time and tell us we finally got it right .. so.. Its not always restaurants you dine in .. that you have to worry about haha ..
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

White
    2002 VY SS

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    This is my night job, waiting at a restaurant around here. My morning job i still have. Haver any of you ever seen the movie "Waiting", where the guy hands back the like 1 dollar tip and says you need it more than me keep it?... Well I kinda did that last night, and the wrong person saw it... Anyways this was supposed to be my last weekend there, I gave them ym 2 weeks notice last last sat, so basically i got fired one night before I was done. Going on vacation then back to school. Anybody else have any funny getting fired stories?
    I haven't seen the movie so forgive me if I sound ignorant. What exactly was the reason they gave for firing you? You gave back a tip to a customer? You gave it back because you thought the tip was slack or insulting, or did you genuinely think the guy should keep the money because he looked a little short of cash?

Tipping down here isn't very customary. Usually only if you have the cash to throw around or in extenuating circumstances. I have been to places where tipping is already incorporated into the pricing, as the resturant owner expects their staff to be good at what they do and go beyond if necessary, and they pay them accordingly. Usually positive comments and return visits are appreciated more.

My girl used to waitress and she said all tips were put in a jar and shared equally at the end of the night. Doesn't make it fair if some waitresses put in more effort than others.

I don't envy people who work with the general public. Some people are just rude and uncooperative just because they can. I have little patients for this...

My 2c

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

the whole tipping thing for me is i tip because its classy but it has to be real good service. i kinda think that waitors, waitresses, bartenders etc are WAY TOO GREEDY! you guys jus go and get shit and pretend that ur friendly and want to like get rich of it. its not skilled labor. your not making antyhing. the cooks are the ones getting stiffed. yes its ur career but its also not my problem. you want hard work, go work construction in 105 degree heat or go turn wrenches for 8 hrs in dark polyester pants with no ac. get a thicker skin. i get real annoyed when i bust my ass and then here a waiter friend my get upwards of 200 bucks a night serving people. i can serve myself. as far as bars go, a dollar a beer? thats what i pay but shit. a beer is already 4 to 6 bucks around here in a bar. your jus taking the cap off jus my 2 cents

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    the whole tipping thing for me is i tip because its classy but it has to be real good service. i kinda think that waitors, waitresses, bartenders etc are WAY TOO GREEDY! you guys jus go and get shit and pretend that ur friendly and want to like get rich of it. its not skilled labor. your not making antyhing. the cooks are the ones getting stiffed. yes its ur career but its also not my problem. you want hard work, go work construction in 105 degree heat or go turn wrenches for 8 hrs in dark polyester pants with no ac. get a thicker skin. i get real annoyed when i bust my ass and then here a waiter friend my get upwards of 200 bucks a night serving people. i can serve myself. as far as bars go, a dollar a beer? thats what i pay but shit. a beer is already 4 to 6 bucks around here in a bar. your jus taking the cap off jus my 2 cents
    dude if you have no idea about something, shut up and dont act like you do.

Poor you mr construction worker, in the one day a year when there is 105 degree heat, making 40 an hour and chilling half the time instead of working. Seriously all construction workers do is sit on thier ass and eat donuts with thier buddies, collecting mad hours of overtime, occasianlly pushing a button to pour cement into a hole.

See that ^. Yeah that right up there. The paragraph preceeding this one. Yeah well, see i made assumptions about your job even though i have no idea what the f i am talking about. How'd u like it?

Stop being so self righteous. Get over yourself and open your mind a little bit, I promise it wont hurt. Your not the only person who works hard for thier money.

Awaiting Activation
    2003 Mach 1

Quote Originally Posted by norm43a View Post
    I agree. Even on lousy service, I usually leave 15%. One reason, waiters don't get paid minimum wage, they work for tips to supplement the meager hourly rate they do get. Besides, it's honest work and regardless of the situation, that is commendable.

And like derrinx said, it's not the waiters fault the bartender didn't fill the drink order or the cooks were slow getting the food out.

Now if the waiter totally forgets a request or something, I take that into consideration and reduce anything extra that may have been coming their way.
    It's called the minimum wage for a reason buddy, cuz you cannot by law get paid any less than that amount, regardless of tips. A lot of places actually pay higher than minimum wage, higher end places at least. But even the Denny's and crap pays minimum wage plus tips.

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mrfatwrecker View Post
    It's called the minimum wage for a reason buddy, cuz you cannot by law get paid any less than that amount, regardless of tips. A lot of places actually pay higher than minimum wage, higher end places at least. But even the Denny's and crap pays minimum wage plus tips.
    They get paid sub-minimum wage and their tips are supposed to put them over the top. If they don't average out, then the restaurant has to kick in the rest.

Awaiting Activation
    2003 Mach 1

Haha, did you just make that up? Cuz it ain't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. CarelessAndImprudent View Post
    They get paid sub-minimum wage and their tips are supposed to put them over the top. If they don't average out, then the restaurant has to kick in the rest.

Waiting reinforced the notion... DONT FUCK WITH THE WAITER. lol

I saw some nasty ass shit behind the scenes at a Shoney's on Prime Time live a few years back....

some chef took a piss on a hot dog, then rubbed it along the floor, before putting it on the bun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information