Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good DD thread

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Good DD thread

Ok, I am looking at buying a cheap, fuel efficient, and reliable DD.
    I am limited on cash and I'm not sure which type of cars best fit the description.
    After looking around I figured we could use a thread that not only show's people CHEAP DD's and why they picked them, or just simply help other people recommend some...
    I personally would like to find one around 2500 or less... 2000 is ideal...
    dont be talking about your fancy dd's in here this ones for BEATERS that are reliable

OK so i am looking at grand prix, cavalier, civic, sunfire, v6 camaro, accord, corolla... w/e?
    i know some of those are hard to find cheaper

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

If you can't find a cheap import, check out Saturns. My mom and sis both had Saturn SL2's for a while, they're not bad cars. Reliable, and they get 30+ mpg easy.

Another option of you don't mind a bigger car is a 3.8 powered GM. Look at Pontiac Bonnevilles, Olds 88's, Buick Century's. My brother had a '96 Bonny that was bulletproof, he got rid of it at 140k, and all he ever did to it was a set of tires and brakes. I had a '98Olds 88 for about a year, not as bulletproof, but that car was a lemon, I think. Both cars had the 3800 V6, and we both got high 20's for mileage. I usually got 28mpg with mine, and had a best of 31 on a highway trip with it. Big cars too, plenty of room inside. That Olds was like driving a freakin' couch, and it'd sit 6.

The Bonneville was much nicer though, much better interior, and more sporty. The Olds was very dull.

Those cars are cheap now, you can easily find a decent one under 3k.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    If you can't find a cheap import, check out Saturns. My mom and sis both had Saturn SL2's for a while, they're not bad cars. Reliable, and they get 30+ mpg easy.

Another option of you don't mind a bigger car is a 3.8 powered GM. Look at Pontiac Bonnevilles, Olds 88's, Buick Century's. My brother had a '96 Bonny that was bulletproof, he got rid of it at 140k, and all he ever did to it was a set of tires and brakes. I had a '98Olds 88 for about a year, not as bulletproof, but that car was a lemon, I think. Both cars had the 3800 V6, and we both got high 20's for mileage. I usually got 28mpg with mine, and had a best of 31 on a highway trip with it. Big cars too, plenty of room inside. That Olds was like driving a freakin' couch, and it'd sit 6.

The Bonneville was much nicer though, much better interior, and more sporty. The Olds was very dull.

thanks man... thats good help

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Couple years ago I picked up a 91 Accord that was in great shape and got it cheap. Never gave me any mechanical problems. I would still be driving that Accord had it not been involved in an accident.

I am currently driving a 97 Contour, nice looking little car but has been a mechanical nightmare. I paid the same in cash for both vehicles.

My g/f drives a 04 Sunfire, and my mom has an 05 Cavalier. Both are good little cars, economical and I would recommend either one of them.

If you plan to go for an older beater, I would make a serious effort to find a 90s model Honda, I don't think you would regret it.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Couple years ago I picked up a 91 Accord that was in great shape and got it cheap. Never gave me any mechanical problems. I would still be driving that Accord had it not been involved in an accident.
    I am currently driving a 97 Contour, nice looking little car but has been a mechanical nightmare. I paid the same in cash for both vehicles.

My g/f drives a 04 Sunfire, and my mom has an 05 Cavalier. Both are good little cars, economical and I would recommend either one of them.

If you plan to go for an older beater, I would make a serious effort to find a 90s model Honda, I don't think you would regret it.
    Took the words right out of my mouth....they look like ass but they're reliable and actually have a decent/comfortable interior.

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

go for a cavalier/sunfire i just sold mine for 1200 '97 whith 174k. 17" wheels but rough body. ran great and good gas mileage. just picked up a '99 old alero with 143k one owner for 2250. seems to be a great little car and gets well over 30 mpg. alot nicer car than the cavalier. seems to be put together really good and has plenty of power with the 2.4l 4-banger.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i drive a volvo 240 DL and it gets like 19-20 mpg for around town plus mostly 45 mph country roads. on the highway it gets like 26-28 , not bad for a 1990 with 206k on the clock, good safe reliable car

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

o yea $800 i picked it up for

Blue
    04 Silverado

these aint real great on gas but i have a 97 blazer i got for $2500 2years ago w/135k on the clock now 164.the 4.3 v6 is a damn good motor,4 wheel drive works like a champ,runs great never had a problem with it till now,bad o2 sensor,and t-stat went bad this winter.i love it i will probably drive her till 200k or till i get me a z71 when i sell my T/A.you can easly pick up a blazer or jimmy,under 3k.

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

Accord or Civic

Trans Am owner
    former

what if there is a fun factor involved. like a $6,000 limit?

any advise? reliable, fun, decent on gas. possibly modable

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post
    what if there is a fun factor involved. like a $6,000 limit?

any advise? reliable, fun, decent on gas. possibly modable
    2500 limit... and why the heck would i mod a dd... lol anyways... for me personally thats my budget but... budget dont matter because this can be a reference point for everyone but mainly under 6000

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

2001 Grand Am GT.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    2001 Grand Am GT.
    you are too expensive curtis

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    you are too expensive curtis
    Offers??

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Offers??

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post

QFT. This hits the nail on the head. Saturns are cheap and dependable and get very good gas mileage.
    However, the idea of getting a mid to full-size GM with the 3.8 is even better. We currently own a 1990 LeSabre that has been nothing short of amazing. I bought it in 2000 for $1500 with 117K miles and it now has 207K miles and runs great. Asides from an ignition module, it has only needed regualr maintenance. I also owned a 1987 Park Ave from 2002-05 that I picked up for $1400 with 130K on it. Drove that rolling-couch over 200K with no problems and traded it in on my wife's truck for $800. The 3.8 is pretty bullet-proof and gets decent gas mileage. We're going to get a newer LeSabre/Park Ave this summer...they are THAT solid.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

My girlfriend has a 93 accord, it's great. She want's a new car though, and said she'd sell it to me My car won't last much longer.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    My girlfriend has a 93 accord, it's great. She want's a new car though, and said she'd sell it to me My car won't last much longer.
    Heh. Not to burst your bubble, but I owned a 1992 Accord and it was the biggest POS I've ever owned. In six months the tranny puked twice and it deveolped a seal leak. I love Honda bikes (I'm on my fifth), but I'm still leery of their cars after that episode... Good luck with yours, tho...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information