Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Careers

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Good Careers

Ok, basically its coming down to the deadline where I got to decide what I'm going to college for. So far I've got NOTHING in mind. I'm pretty good at everything that doesn't have anything to do with school subjects; language arts or history. I really want to do something with cars, but I know I can make a lot better money doing something else and still have time to do my own thing with cars. I really like things to do with mechanical or electical stuff or something with a lot of math and formulas and crap like that. I've thought long and hard about this, and I've decided that I don't mind having to work really hard (even at something I don't like all that much) to make really good money (or has promising advancement opportunities) I've got a full tuition scholarship to any in-state university, but I don't have other things like alot of sports or clubs or anything. Anybody got any good ideas of a good career that I should consider. Please help me out, like I said I have absolutley nothing in mind. I'm just now starting to look at these carrer guide books and online tests and stuff.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

dude ur 17... i still havent made mymind up entirely...

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

im doing internatioanl buisness and banking, from a former pre med student haha

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

If You are good @ math I'd say chemical engineering, or computer engineering....something like that....but it doesn't matter you can change majors if you don't like what you start out with...just go and you'll figure it out...I had buddys in school that didn't know their major till a Jr. in college....lol....don't sweat it

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedblackgto View Post
    If You are good @ math I'd say chemical engineering, or computer engineering....something like that....but it doesn't matter you can change majors if you don't like what you start out with...just go and you'll figure it out...I had buddys in school that didn't know their major till a Jr. in college....lol....don't sweat it
    I'm actually looking at a website talking about the different engineering fields. Looks iteresting, but it says that the outlook is that it will become a low paying job within the next ten years becuase the US is starting to let Chinese people move here to do those kind of jobs becuase they are good at them and will do them for very low pay. I'll do more research though. I'm just worried that I'm going to waste a bunch of time taking classes I don't need, or not get into classes I do need, etc. So I'm trying to figure out (ballpark) what I want to do before the next school year when I start alot of my college classes. Thanks for your help.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    I'm actually looking at a website talking about the different engineering fields. Looks iteresting, but it says that the outlook is that it will become a low paying job within the next ten years becuase the US is starting to let Chinese people move here to do those kind of jobs becuase they are good at them and will do them for very low pay. I'll do more research though. I'm just worried that I'm going to waste a bunch of time taking classes I don't need, or not get into classes I do need, etc. So I'm trying to figure out (ballpark) what I want to do before the next school year when I start alot of my college classes. Thanks for your help.
    Computer engineering is a field that won't....make some big bucks...ask my brother-in-law....lol

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    i find that hard to believe. Talk to member "Predator" he is an engineer and does very well for himself, and is young. But it sounds like a field for you based on your appreciation of math, etc....plus you can always use that to pave the way for auto engineering or even architecture.

good luck, man! don't forget, if you can't figure out a major, just take a bunch of remedial classes at a community college until you get a better idea of what you want to do. Most of those class credits transfer b/c they are required by colleges anyway.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

become a loan shark... start lifting weights and take several types of martial arts and weapons training...

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Accounting.

Post Enron's accounting scandal there was a huge decrease in the number of college student's receiving accounting degrees + the fact that accounting work has increased due to the legislation enacted in response to Enron = a guaranteed job earning very good money (unless you show up to the interview drunk)

I mentioned in another thread that my brother was just hired at my accounting firm to start January '08 earning a substantial amount for a fresh college grad. He received an e-mail this weekend from the recruiter saying "we have reevaluated the market conditions, blah..blah..blah, and we are going to increase your starting salary." I don't know that many jobs that give you raises before you actually start to work.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    im doing internatioanl buisness and banking, from a former pre med student haha
    i switched from double majors in biology and chemistry to business finance. haha, i gotta be one of the few finance majors in the nation with biology and chem minors! work as a stock broker now, who woulda known 5 years ago? my best advice would be DO NOT declare a major in college until your sophomore year, there are plenty of gen eds to take your frosh year and it won't set you back a bit. see what you like, then declare.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Material Science and Engineering + Air Force ROTC

Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

I went to college for electrical engineering but after three years of school and some interning I ended up joining the Air Force. You might want to take into consideration that, if you do what you love for a living (working on cars) you'll grow to hate it. Not to say you can't love you job but I've seen it happen to my friends. If I were you, I would follow Spaz's advice, possibly bounty hunting?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    Material Science and Engineering + Air Force ROTC
    what kinda engineering?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Fence Post Digger. I need one so I think that is what you should be.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Fence Post Digger. I need one so I think that is what you should be.
    you might need a chiropractor too...so thats a better suggestion

Black
    1999 Trans am

Military of Peace officer work

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

You could be everyones biatch.
    get free meals, free place to stay..

J/K
    Last edited by Scanlamp; 06-20-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Ask yourself this question, if you had millions of dollars and didn't have to work for income, what would you enjoy doing?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i'd say take a look at an engineering degree like others have said. you could end up designing cars or as a government contractor working on new battleships or even for nasa designing the next inter-planetary human transportation system. the possibilities are endless and although i'm not in such fields i'd have to say that they would all be very rewarding career tracks.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Ask yourself this question, if you had millions of dollars and didn't have to work for income, what would you enjoy doing?
    nothing. i would do absolutely nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information