Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Red face Going back to work advice?

I havent worked for just over a year because of a medical condition. I left on good terms at my last job where I worked at for about 20 years. Now that Im doing better I want to try and go back to work. I talked to a friend who said just call corporate and try to come back. The friend said what do I have to loose. Id be trying to start off with a small pay cut and with all my seniority.
    Its a greast company to work for and Ill never get paid the same somewhere else. My only draw back is Im being a pussy and worried Ill have a relapse or not be able to do the job for some reason. Any opinions?

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I do not know anything about your condition or the corporate structure you wish to re-enter. I do however believe that regardless of your success in accomplishing the goal of regaining employment at the same bussiness, your overall goal of becoming gainfully employed is good and that I have found it personally of great value to actually takes steps to obtain that which I seek.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    I do not know anything about your condition or the corporate structure you wish to re-enter. I do however believe that regardless of your success in accomplishing the goal of regaining employment at the same bussiness, your overall goal of becoming gainfully employed is good and that I have found it personally of great value to actually takes steps to obtain that which I seek.
    In other words.... in can't hurt to try.

Be up front with them. It pisses people off if you try to hide stuff from them and get caught, they'd much rather know the truth. The other option is to take a different job for 6 months to make sure you're physically capable before going back to the one you really want.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

I just gonna tell them that Im doing great now. Ive worked for the company for half my life and feel I could contribute. They really are a great company to work for and treat empoyees good. Im not so much worried about the pay. Im trying for my seniority back .They effects my vacation,health benefits,bonuses and 401k.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

A year? You had to of been pretty messed up to be gone that long...or you were milkin it

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    I just gonna tell them that Im doing great now. Ive worked for the company for half my life and feel I could contribute. They really are a great company to work for and treat empoyees good. Im not so much worried about the pay. Im trying for my seniority back .They effects my vacation,health benefits,bonuses and 401k.
    get back in the saddle, then get me a good job there

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    A year? You had to of been pretty messed up to be gone that long...or you were milkin it
    I milked it a little.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

a guy at my work was cut after being out over 6mths for medical......he came back a year later and they gave him ALL his time and pay back.....i work for a big company........give it a shot

Black
    99 Z28

Don't worry about whether or not you'll be contributing. You will be. You've forgotten more than a lot of people know about what you do. 20 years of your life has spent there, you'll be able to go back to it with no problems I'm sure. It's like habit for you. they'll be glad to have you back. If you're doing great, tell them you're doing great. If you're not then it might not hurt to be up front with them and tell them you know you'll be able to get back into it but you might need a bit of support getting back into the swing of it for a few weeks.

Go for it.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Would you make an appt. to fly out to the corp office and speak in person or just a phone call?

Quote Originally Posted by redls1 View Post
    Would you make an appt. to fly out to the corp office and speak in person or just a phone call?
    I would call first and say you would like to meet with them.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Yea, I'd start with a call to somebody you knew fairly well from upper managment or HR, and explain to them whats going on and see what they suggest.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    Yea, I'd start with a call to somebody you knew fairly well from upper managment or HR, and explain to them whats going on and see what they suggest.
    Well I already talked to someone that was my boss(manager) and she is the one that suggested I call the regional vp. I also spoke to a couple of other managers. Everybody calls him when they need something done. I spoke with him once in the beginning of my career. He flew me down to Ft. Lauderdale and we discussed my career. I could call the warehouse manager but that wouldnt get me the seniorty back which is what Im shooting for.

white
    2002, Z28

go for it

Thread Information