Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

GM vs toyota trucks.

gm may have their financial issues, but I would never worry about this with a GM truck, even if it was a 1977 gm truck.

With how many LSx owners are bashing GM and domestic automakers, its time to see some issues the imports have, since only a select few media sources report on it.

First the Tacoma's, now the Tundra's?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...58/detail.html

BOSTON -- Team 5 Investigates found more than two dozen complaints on file with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration detailing problems with rusted frames on 2000 and 2001 Toyota Tundras. Here are some excerpts:

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra April 10, 2009

"The frame in my truck has rotted out in less than 9 years."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 26, 2009

"2000 Toyota Tundra with rust holes through frame, over and beside rear shock brackets and spring brackets. I am at my wits end with Toyota and have tried to resolve this obvious defect at every level. This has become a safety issue for myself and other drivers. It is just a matter of time before the frame will snap in half."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 11, 2009

"I lost my brakes. I had the 2000 Tundra towed to our mechanic and they called and said the entire frame from the driver's seat to beyond the shocks was totally rusted and cracked! They said it was not driveable."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra November 1, 2008

"Low mileage (72K) 2000 Tundra with extensive frame rust and rot in cross members. Spare tire almost fell off due to rust in supports, which tipped me off on how bad things were getting. Poked my finger right through the cross member the spare hangs from."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra December 21, 2008

"My mechanic said it is unsafe to drive. Called Toyota. They told me to take it to a Toyota dealer for an estimate. The dealer's estimate was in excess of $5,000. The book value is $9,000, which is just what I owe. I called Toyota back. They said too bad, good luck, have a nice day. Here I am and I am not having a nice day."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra February 17, 2009

"The mechanic pointed out excessive rust to cross members of frame. When the body was lifted off to replace these cross members, a crack was found in the frame. The truck is no longer safe to drive and has a value of $0 compared to the $9,000 before the discovery. Toyota will not back their product."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra October 15, 2008

"I sent vehicle in for front brakes service again and the mechanic informed me of severe rust to the cross member on the frame all the way to the bed. He did not want me to put more money into the vehicle due to the extent of damage to the frame."

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

drove a toyota truck for work.......it was junk, rode like junk, engine was junk, interior was junk,......it was JUNK

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Im sure the Toyota frame issue will go to court, this type of quality is unexpected from Toyota. GM has a recall on 70,000 sold Arcadia, Traverse, Enclave and the Saturn duplicate along with all the unsold 200,000 units on dealer lots annouced about a month ago. Recall for possible improper Gear reading from shifter cable to trans issue which could perhaps result in death to someone. All manufactures are not perfect, I have a problem with the 2 that are broke, have poor business practices and failed plans with overcompensated workers unwilling to truly make the sacrifies needed to help their industry survive and are looking for more help from the American tax payer.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    Im sure the Toyota frame issue will go to court, this type of quality is unexpected from Toyota. GM has a recall on 70,000 sold Arcadia, Traverse, Enclave and the Saturn duplicate along with all the unsold 200,000 units on dealer lots annouced about a month ago. Recall for possible improper Gear reading from shifter cable to trans issue which could perhaps result in death to someone. All manufactures are not perfect, I have a problem with the 2 that are broke, have poor business practices and failed plans with overcompensated workers unwilling to truly make the sacrifies needed to help their industry survive and are looking for more help from the American tax payer.
    I do expect this from toyota, I think back to the 80s and 90s, all of their trucks have always had an issue of rusting out quickly and falling apart.

I remember in highschool helping a friend weld stock on this toyota truck frame to keep the frame together, while building a wooden stake bed since the box bed rusted out. his truck was a 88, this was in 94. One of my vehicles then was a 77 ford truck, 11 years older and the frame/bed was fine with 3x the milage

as you said though, all car makers have their issues and recalls, which is why it is good that we have the HTSA, to enforce these recalls.

and yes the UAW is very much overpaid!!!

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Foreign cars last forever.

Last edited by ezwip; 04-29-2009 at 07:17 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Newsflash: Toyota sucks at building trucks.

They don't have trucks in Japan the way we have trucks in America. We don't live on a little island in the Pacific. Americans have been building and driving pickup trucks for almost the past 100 years, we know a thing or two about building trucks.

The Silverado, F-150, and Ram are the benchmark for pickup trucks. Between those 3, they have all the bases covered. They are the best and only true pickup trucks in the world. Why anyone would be ignorant enough to buy a cheap piece of shit pickup from a car maker like Toyota, which has only been in the business within the past 10 years (if you even count the worthless T100), I have no idea.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    I like how people think this economy is only effecting the big 3. Toyaki has had a 35%+ decline in sales the last couple of months and lowered their sales target by 700,000 for the year. They also reported their first loss ever. All the auto makers are hurting. Nissanamaha has taken a raping also. Some more than others. Guess what plants Toyaki will close first? Hmmmm..... I'm guessing not the ones in Japan. Hondazuki won't be far behind.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

One thing I doubt I would ever consider buying is an 'import' truck.
    I'll stick to Ford and Chevy for those.

Passenger cars? Completely different story. I'll buy what fits my needs.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Newsflash: Toyota sucks at building trucks.

They don't have trucks in Japan the way we have trucks in America. We don't live on a little island in the Pacific. Americans have been building and driving pickup trucks for almost the past 100 years, we know a thing or two about building trucks.

The Silverado, F-150, and Ram are the benchmark for pickup trucks. Between those 3, they have all the bases covered. They are the best and only true pickup trucks in the world. Why anyone would be ignorant enough to buy a cheap piece of shit pickup from a car maker like Toyota, which has only been in the business within the past 10 years (if you even count the worthless T100), I have no idea.
    newflash toyota trucks are being built in the US and the funny thing is it has been said that the quailty of toyota has been going down ever since they started factories in the US... camry is built here, the trucks... says a lot about the american workforce and the quality of the products they produce..

i really wouldnt put rams in a catagory of unbeatable trucks, because my dad and brother have gone through ram after ram and there has been one major problem or another with different years. if you have a 98 ram and u havent had problems with the rear then ure lucky. i could go on..

the only truck i would say has my attention as good quality is an F250 or higher, those trucks are mean and can take a beating without any major defects that i've heard of. F150 is for girls lol

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    gm may have their financial issues, but I would never worry about this with a GM truck, even if it was a 1977 gm truck.

With how many LSx owners are bashing GM and domestic automakers, its time to see some issues the imports have, since only a select few media sources report on it.

First the Tacoma's, now the Tundra's?

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...58/detail.html

BOSTON -- Team 5 Investigates found more than two dozen complaints on file with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration detailing problems with rusted frames on 2000 and 2001 Toyota Tundras. Here are some excerpts:

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra April 10, 2009

"The frame in my truck has rotted out in less than 9 years."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 26, 2009

"2000 Toyota Tundra with rust holes through frame, over and beside rear shock brackets and spring brackets. I am at my wits end with Toyota and have tried to resolve this obvious defect at every level. This has become a safety issue for myself and other drivers. It is just a matter of time before the frame will snap in half."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra March 11, 2009

"I lost my brakes. I had the 2000 Tundra towed to our mechanic and they called and said the entire frame from the driver's seat to beyond the shocks was totally rusted and cracked! They said it was not driveable."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra November 1, 2008

"Low mileage (72K) 2000 Tundra with extensive frame rust and rot in cross members. Spare tire almost fell off due to rust in supports, which tipped me off on how bad things were getting. Poked my finger right through the cross member the spare hangs from."

*** 2000 Toyota Tundra December 21, 2008

"My mechanic said it is unsafe to drive. Called Toyota. They told me to take it to a Toyota dealer for an estimate. The dealer's estimate was in excess of $5,000. The book value is $9,000, which is just what I owe. I called Toyota back. They said too bad, good luck, have a nice day. Here I am and I am not having a nice day."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra February 17, 2009

"The mechanic pointed out excessive rust to cross members of frame. When the body was lifted off to replace these cross members, a crack was found in the frame. The truck is no longer safe to drive and has a value of $0 compared to the $9,000 before the discovery. Toyota will not back their product."

*** 2001 Toyota Tundra October 15, 2008

"I sent vehicle in for front brakes service again and the mechanic informed me of severe rust to the cross member on the frame all the way to the bed. He did not want me to put more money into the vehicle due to the extent of damage to the frame."

Click for full size
    McGyver would only need a few paper clips and maybe a gum wrapper to have that truck back out on the road running like a champ, but he'd be wishing it was and AMC made Jeep so he'd have no issues in the first place.

silver
    2002 ws6

my 89 chev is rusty... but the frame still looks like new. 20+mpg's, almost 300k on it, still drives like a champ... most parts for those things are under $100!

toyota is still trying to catch up to 1989.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

The trucks were the first ones cut from work.. the frame are made locally as well....

Ill ask somebody when i get a chance about frame issues at the plant...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

As others have said, full size trucks are something that I would never even spend .2 seconds considering buying foreign. I'm proud to say that the USA absolutely kills import brands when it comes to building a pickup. Full frame japanese trucks are notorious for rot, the old nissan pathfinders do/did the same thing. Hell take a good look at old japanese cars closely and the sheetmetal on the body rots on some models and brands too. Japan used weak recycled steel on a lot of cars. They do MURDER us on automatic transes though. Chrysler truck transes are shit. Chrysler rear ends get serviced constantly, and when I mean serviced I mean full on overhauls.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    The trucks were the first ones cut from work.. the frame are made locally as well....

Ill ask somebody when i get a chance about frame issues at the plant...
    Do you think that frame issue is Toyota using the shit steel or a build issue?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Do you think that frame issue is Toyota using the shit steel or a build issue?
    Shit steel. Im not naming names or companies but a company I "know" has switch to inferior products to save a buck here or there.. there are MAJOR rust issue with the honda/yota/nissan parts... They use treated steel where as GM products used stainless steel and required a lot more labor...

I know plenty of welders that make the frames for toyota at dana for those trucks and they are good welders and car guys.. not some fuck off the street. Its the build process not the laborers.

Ive got my job back today so yeah im glad as fuck....

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    newflash toyota trucks are being built in the US and the funny thing is it has been said that the quailty of toyota has been going down ever since they started factories in the US... camry is built here, the trucks... says a lot about the american workforce and the quality of the products they produce..

i really wouldnt put rams in a catagory of unbeatable trucks, because my dad and brother have gone through ram after ram and there has been one major problem or another with different years. if you have a 98 ram and u havent had problems with the rear then ure lucky. i could go on..

the only truck i would say has my attention as good quality is an F250 or higher, those trucks are mean and can take a beating without any major defects that i've heard of. F150 is for girls lol

Yes toyota might be assembled in the states, but the designs and materials are still overseas.... A bad design will stay as a bad design regardless of where it is built. The assemblers have nothing to do with design and material choices. All they have to worry about is line up one panel to another and fasten. repeat over and over.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Shit steel. Im not naming names or companies but a company I "know" has switch to inferior products to save a buck here or there.. there are MAJOR rust issue with the honda/yota/nissan parts... They use treated steel where as GM products used stainless steel and required a lot more labor...

I know plenty of welders that make the frames for toyota at dana for those trucks and they are good welders and car guys.. not some fuck off the street. Its the build process not the laborers.

Ive got my job back today so yeah im glad as fuck....
    excellent info..

proof that the assemblers and labor workers are doing their jobs well, its designs and materials that are for shit.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    Yes toyota might be assembled in the states, but the designs and materials are still overseas.... A bad design will stay as a bad design regardless of where it is built. The assemblers have nothing to do with design and material choices. All they have to worry about is line up one panel to another and fasten. repeat over and over.
    Correct but to save costs most steel materials are from here, not japan etc..

very few products come from overseas. Most of them are really light stuff like plastic connectors.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

yup, it's safe to say toyota sucks.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Correct but to save costs most steel materials are from here, not japan etc..

very few products come from overseas. Most of them are really light stuff like plastic connectors.

I thought most steel was still coming from europe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information