Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver w/flames
    99 mustang

GM pitches new camaro to gays...

I stumbled across this and thought it was interesting. I don't see gays drooling over a muscle car but surely there are some. Personally I don't have a problem with it and GM could use any extra sales.

The models lean seductively over the hood of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, wearing only tiny yellow underwear emblazoned with the car's logo. Grasping a wash cloth, they rub down the car until it sparkles as an unseen cameraman asks about the car.

The videos, broadcast on YouTube, use sex appeal to sell Camaros to guys. Only the models aren't women, they're men.

The racy commercials are part of a new advertising campaign targeting gay, bisexual and transgender Americans.

In addition to highlighting the Camaro, the online videos illuminate a new challenge for General Motors and rival Chrysler: marketing the same car model to different audiences.

Before the current restructuring, the car companies had enough models to make "a car for every purse and purpose," as long-time GM-president Alfred P. Sloan famously said. But not anymore. GM once had 11 brands, including international ones. It plans to shed or spin-off at least four. That means instead of having several cars for soccer moms in various income brackets and several other cars aimed at, say, young, childless men, the car companies must market the same car to both groups.

"We are trying to broaden the appeal," said John Fitzpatrick, marketing manager for the Camaro.

The Camaro, for example, is a model that GM hopes to market as an affordable muscle car for the masses. GM is using the new Transformers movie - a film about machines that turn into robots based on a popular comic book - to market the sports car to young people and hip parents. The company is also marketing the car in the Middle East with a message focused on performance and power, says Fitzpatrick. The car will eventually need to be sold in Europe as well, a very different market that tends to prize features such as fuel-efficiency.

In the U.S., GM has tacitly supported online campaigns by homosexual Camaro fans. The YouTube videos were created by a Camaro enthusiast to promote "Gay Day at the Movies," a Los Angeles event featuring a screening of the new Transformers movie. Chevrolet supplied the vehicle used in the video, said company spokesman Adam Denison.

Fitzpatrick acknowledges that appealing to so many different groups with the same car is challenging. The Internet has enabled folks in different countries to see advertising campaigns intended for different audiences.

"It is a lot more difficult to do in today's day and age because of what the Internet can do," said Fitzpatrick, adding that focusing on the technology has helped broaden the Camaro's appeal.

So far, GM is pleased with how the Camaro campaigns are going. The 2010 model, which hit dealerships in April, has sold the most vehicles in its class, said Fitzpatrick. More than 9,000 Camaros were sold in June and GM is working to fill orders for another 25,000 vehicles.
    99 35th GT: 5.0 stroker, twin 60 turbos, aeromotive return style fuel system, full suspension.
    575/563 @ 12lbs-adding more soon...

07 Trailblazer SS(wife's): 22s, 3200 stall, cammed and bolt ons, lowered. 405/405

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I wanna see gorgeous WOMEN washing my car thx.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

I do care who gm markets/sells there cars too..... just market the car, dont aim it at a particular demographic.

-if you buy a lamborghini, your stereotyped as having money and being successfull
    -if you buy a 2nd or 3rd gen camaro your stereotyped as trailer trash with a mullet.

Who wants to buy a new 5th gen camaro and be stereotyped as a fucking queer.

yes gm needs sales, however your customers create the reputation as the type of car maker your are based off of stereotypes.

If GM wants queers to buy there cars, market the Aveo to them, save the camaro for real men that want to see real women naked posing on the car.

no-one has ever started a "hot gay guys on camaro/trans am thread".... thank fucking god.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    no-one has ever started a "hot gay guys on camaro/trans am thread".... thank fucking god.
    I bet $$ Sarge would post up a Speedo shot of himself on the hood of the Goat.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Use car shows as a backdrop for Camaro sales. Have classic Maros parked with the 5th-gens with gearhead owners complimenting each others maros to make the ads more appealing.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

keep on preachin' man. Amen. Faggots drive Subaru Forresters and Nissan Xterras. NOT Camaros and Firebirds. However, I'm sad to report, there's a Camaro up in the city thats got the infamous "im a faggot" rainbow on the back bumper.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    I bet $$ Sarge would post up a Speedo shot of himself on the hood of the Goat.
    OH LORD NO!!!

primevil
    2000 FRC

They want WAY to much for the car...... To little, to late and WAY overpriced.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperC5 View Post
    They want WAY to much for the car...... To little, to late and WAY overpriced.
    Well, I dunno. When the SRT8 Charger/Challenger came out they were overpriced. IIRC, the price dropped and now I am seeing more of them on the roads. Maybe the new Maro will take off once things settle?

primevil
    2000 FRC

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Well, I dunno. When the SRT8 Charger/Challenger came out they were overpriced. IIRC, the price dropped and now I am seeing more of them on the roads. Maybe the new Maro will take off once things settle?
    Possibly..... but the way the economy is now, $35-40K for a camaro is a bit high. You can buy a nice used Vette for that price.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well...look at it this way. They'll buy all the V6 models and leave the "manly" men the V8s.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I do care who gm markets/sells there cars too..... just market the car, dont aim it at a particular demographic.

-if you buy a lamborghini, your stereotyped as having money and being successfull
    -if you buy a 2nd or 3rd gen camaro your stereotyped as trailer trash with a mullet.

yes gm needs sales, however your customers create the reputation as the type of car maker your are based off of stereotypes.

If GM wants queers to buy there cars, market the Aveo to them, save the camaro for real men that want to see real women naked posing on the car.

you are correct good sir

purple(sold)
    1994 firebird formula

no wonder the dude drives a pusstang.... hes gay.

White
    2000 Trans AM

I'm so glad I own a Trans AM

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

I agree 100%!!!!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

<<<< not gay

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

<< free posting.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

y'all think the homo edition camaro will have a "special" shifter knob?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information