Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

red
    98 pontiac

GM Needs your help

A friend of mine who works at GM sent this over to me, and I thought that I would pass it along.

Please take a minute to watch this and take whatever action you feel is right.

I live in Michigan (but don't work for Big 3) and read in the paper this morning that GM has suspended payments to dealers for rebates/incentives etc., they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for cash.

Thanks,

If you haven't already called your representative please consider the attached information below. We could use your help.

All -There is a lot of speculation and misinformation circulating on the web and in mainstream media regarding the state of the U.S. auto industry. Many of us work in the industry or have family, friends and neighbors connected to the industry. If the auto industry fails it will further damage the whole economy and all of us will feel the impact. This isn't just a "Detroit problem" - the effects will be felt in all 50 states and, frankly, around the world. This message is to inform you and arm you with the facts. Feel free to pass this info on. I urge you to take action, please visit www.gmfactsandfiction.com for more info and contact your representatives in Congress.

Call toll-free 1-866-927-2233 and tell Washington we need their help.

MYTH: The demise of the American auto industry won't really affect the American way of life.
    FACT: What happens to the U.S. auto industry matters on Main Street.
    From plants to parks. From dealerships to driveways. From gas stations to grocery stores. What happens in the automotive industry affects each and every one of us. In fact, the collapse of the U.S.-based auto industry wouldn't just impact the nearly 355,000 Americans directly employed by the Big Three. One out of every 10 people in America is employed in a service that is related to the U.S. auto industry. If a plant closes, so does its suppliers, the local stores, the hot dog vendors, and the local restaurants.
    The effect would be devastating in ways of which you never have thought:
    Nearly 3 million jobs would be lost in the first year alone – with another 2.5 million to follow over the next two years
    Personal income in the United States would drop by more than $150.7 billion in the first year
    The cost to local, state, and federal governments could reach $156.4 billion over three years in lost taxes, and unemployment and health care assistance
    Domestic automobile production would more than likely fall to zero – even by international producers, due to supplier bankruptcies
    The credit crisis that is affecting us all is wounding the U.S. auto industry in many different ways. Carmakers can’t get loans to restructure and to produce new advanced technology vehicles. Suppliers and dealers can’t get loans for routine business, and customers can’t get loans for new cars.
    Learn more about the current crisis

www.gmfactsandfiction.com

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

I've seen this and filled it out from another forum...

GM + bankruptcy = depression that makes the 30's look peachy

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Fuck GM/Ford/Chrysler and their scare tactics. They got themselves into this with piss poor management/decision making and now they have to pay the piper. They need to do what all American companies do and file bankruptcy and re-emerge as a true competitor. This is what will be good for the country in the long run not a quick fix fuck the taxpayers in the ass and go on about their business as usual.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

That's scary...I hate to even image what would happen without them.

I work for a company that supplies the big three and their suppliers. Luckily over the last few years we've expanded into other industries, so losing them might not kill us, but it'd sure hurt us.

And good point about national security. One of the big reason we won WWII was because we had such a strong mfg base here, and could keep cranking out planes, trucks, and tanks at a rate our enemies couldn't match. And who built all those planes, trucks, and tanks? GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Fuck GM/Ford/Chrysler and their scare tactics. They got themselves into this with piss poor management/decision making and now they have to pay the piper. They need to do what all American companies do and file bankruptcy and re-emerge as a true competitor. This is what will be good for the country in the long run not a quick fix fuck the taxpayers in the ass and go on about their business as usual.
    I agree. Several years ago when they were making large profits on suv's what did they do with all the money? America is turning into, if I mess up dont worry, someone else will help me fix it.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Here ! HERE !!

I'm with you on this one. First the OUR governmet hands out 700 BILLION to bail out the economy and NOT the tax payer (who needs it most) and now the auto industry wants their share of a bail out as well......

FUCK THAT !!

Make them scrimp, save and get along just like the rest of us have to !

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I'll chime in on this one too. Let 'em fight until they're lean and mean. Start competing like it matters and, although it'll likely be impossible with the coming administration and congress, do everything you can to buy your labor at market rates!

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

a senator on Capitol Hill said he saw no reason for 3 big automakers....

and appearently...

Ford is in the best shape
    Chrysler is next...
    GM is in the worst condition......

sorry, watching CNBC right now ...has the big three talking on Capitol hill

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    That's scary...I hate to even image what would happen without them.

I work for a company that supplies the big three and their suppliers. Luckily over the last few years we've expanded into other industries, so losing them might not kill us, but it'd sure hurt us.

And good point about national security. One of the big reason we won WWII was because we had such a strong mfg base here, and could keep cranking out planes, trucks, and tanks at a rate our enemies couldn't match. And who built all those planes, trucks, and tanks? GM, Ford, and Chrysler.
    Son we didn't have the military industry we have today 60 years ago. Just scare tactics from a bunch of carpet baggers looking for the solution to fund their next Bermuda trip.

Red
    2001 WS6

Well i tell you what right now im not buying no foreign crap from Japan if it comes down to it. You tell me this we are suppose to buy cars from them after they wanted to kill us years ago in Pearl Harbor f that shit. I understand that there are things we have to buy from them over there but when it is something to this magnitude hell no. I guess the reason i bring this up is cuz this is what my dad (vietnam vet)thought of the situation. That is why i dont want to buy foreign, all these contries hate the USA but our Senators and politicians are againt the bailout? Well i say give it a shot cuz i agree this economy is going to be shit with out them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    I agree. Several years ago when they were making large profits on suv's what did they do with all the money? America is turning into, if I mess up dont worry, someone else will help me fix it.
    I fully agree...look how many people making minimum wage who bought half million dollar homes and have lord only know in credit card debt cause their kid HAD to have everything, and expect us people who didn't take advantage of the system to help them out.....it's sickening

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Well if we don't bail em out, our economy will crumble. Beyond some lame numbers I don't think they see the web that this truly encompasses. It's the guys like the autoworkers and their entire supply chain who are going to the resturants and spending money in all the little places that keeps this economy moving.

Years ago, the gov bailed out Chrystler with a loan... Anyone remember that?
    Well, Chrystler paid back the money early. I don't see what the big deal is.
    It gives us another couple years to get the ecomony rolling again. Let's them stay afloat, keeps me working, spending money and keeps the ecomony moving.

Nobody is going to buy cars from a bankrupt company.

We need to help the companyt that gave us our cherrished LS1

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by clint195 View Post
    Well i tell you what right now im not buying no foreign crap from Japan if it comes down to it. You tell me this we are suppose to buy cars from them after they wanted to kill us years ago in Pearl Harbor f that shit. I understand that there are things we have to buy from them over there but when it is something to this magnitude hell no. I guess the reason i bring this up is cuz this is what my dad (vietnam vet)thought of the situation. That is why i dont want to buy foreign, all these contries hate the USA but our Senators and politicians are againt the bailout? Well i say give it a shot cuz i agree this economy is going to be shit with out them.
    I'm with you guys on this. All I've owned has been domestic for as long as I've been driving, but I'm sick of taking it in the ass from service depts and everybody else. My wife likes ford and I buy GM.

What I really noticed is that most of the "Imports" are now made in the us, where gm is bringing in vehicles from out of country. everybody that I've read about is laying off people, and yet toyota over in san antonio is giving paid leave while they restructure their plants. As much as I like them, F' the big three... They did it to themselves.

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

I would like to point out that this is a huge problem that needs to be address. Restructuring America's auto makers needs to be addressed, BUT fixing the problem cannot stop there. This whole country needs to be restructured. Engineering and exporting goods has become a far less priority to this countries eyes to shuffling money around.

1.) Despite what you think about the Big 3. Our countries Auto makers should considered a source of national pride, as well as national security. *** YES, national security, how the hell you think we we able to be successful in WWII, maybe its because we were able to spit out more tanks, jeeps, ships and planes than any other nation on the planet. Never mind the man power, we use to have people in this country that could provide the engineering to manufacture these products.

2.) Restructuring, here is were it becomes a double edged sword. If this countries auto makers declare chapter 11 bankruptcy they will be forced to Restructure there whole company, mainly they will not have to honor pensions, good thing pensions are insured, bad thing millions of jobs will be lost and we could see the great depression II on the table. If we give the automakers money, what is the incentive to restructure, only bankruptcy will address UNION CONTRACTS!

3.) There are strings attached to Government money!!! The cars that we deem as "OUR HOBBY" can cease to exist. The Camaro, Corvette, Challenger, Viper, even the mustang can possibly disappear. Its already on the table!!! stiffer CAFE regulations, for 25 billion in government bailout money!

Like it or not, the problem branches a lot further than the Automakers, it stems to the cost of commodities, the housing market, health care, the credit market, shit, I'm sure you can think of a lot more!!!! You can't blame people for "going where the money is" BUT, when we make it clear that were going to Pay people more for pushing money around, balancing spread sheets, marketing, and yes playing sports (granted some are essential and more important than others) than engineering, advancing technology there is a problem. We need make exporting goods a priority, this gives our country leverage. We need to be concerned about infrastructure (transportation, including roads bridges, trains, airlines, etc) The power grid, efficient ways of producing and transporting electricity. And, I'm sure there are a lot more issues that can be addressed, BUT if we do see a problem such as another GREAT DEPRESSION you are going to see tons of money pumped into these sectors, remember the NEW DEAL! we might be seeing it sooner than you think, for all of you that play the market and are searching for jobs.
    Last edited by Rob00Taws6; 11-18-2008 at 04:49 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Damn, I work for an exhaust manufacturer and we rely on these new cars being produced. Good thing we also make exhaust for alot of older vehicles.

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Also another fact to point out!!! ALL the worlds automobile manufactures are hurting. BUT, there are two that are thriving, and its no surprise that they are in a country that exports far more capital per person than any other nation. They are 1.) Marcedes, and 2.) AUDI

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by clint195 View Post
    You Dad and I share that experience and I buy American...well except the Mercedes....Gm and the boys will still be around....they just need some tough love right now.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Son we didn't have the military industry we have today 60 years ago. Just scare tactics from a bunch of carpet baggers looking for the solution to fund their next Bermuda trip.
    You said it man.

Black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    Well if we don't bail em out, our economy will crumble. Beyond some lame numbers I don't think they see the web that this truly encompasses. It's the guys like the autoworkers and their entire supply chain who are going to the resturants and spending money in all the little places that keeps this economy moving.

Years ago, the gov bailed out Chrystler with a loan... Anyone remember that?
    Well, Chrystler paid back the money early. I don't see what the big deal is.
    It gives us another couple years to get the ecomony rolling again. Let's them stay afloat, keeps me working, spending money and keeps the ecomony moving.

Nobody is going to buy cars from a bankrupt company.

We need to help the companyt that gave us our cherrished LS1
    I can fully agee with giving them a "loan" that they have to pay back. What i dont agree with is just giving them the money.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information