Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GF's parents

Grey
    2003 R/T

GF's parents

Yes i am actually asking a bunch of leghumpers for advise. But unbiased opinions are always good.
    Short and sweet, My girlfriends parents dont like me because Im blue collar and didnt go to college. Yet I own my own house, pay my own bills, have my own life! Im 27 she 21, they also have a prob with the age. She expects me to kiss there ass and prove to them that i am good enough for their daughter. I said f that, Im dating you not your Parents, she disagrees. I told her I would never apoligize for being who I am and never suck up to them just to get them to like me.

Am I being irrational here? There is obv alot more to this whole thing and I will explain as you ask me too.

I know most of you will say we've only been in it for 3 months and kick her to the curb, but I see things in her that I havent in past relationships. I love this girl and think we have a great relationship, up untill this anyways.

Any advise?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Your right! Be yourself!

Damn, how much control does this girl's parents have over her?

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

her parents will have to accept you for who you are. I wouldn't change be yourself. But if they can't accept you then your relationship will probably not work out very well.

NBM
    99 TA

Just keep her parents out of it. Don't hang out at her house, if you pick her up for a date either wait in the car for her to come out, or go to the door and don't make any un necessary conversation with her parents. The less you see them, the better.

If your gf has a problem with that and she is important to you, make an effort with the parents as long as SHE knows that you are not going to kiss their asses. There is no need to be impolite but there is also no need for brown nosing.

Grey
    2003 R/T

I will never change who I am, and im pretty damn proud of it. i still cant believe that they have to gall to tell their daughter that. They treat her like shes 5, and they think im hogging her. They had her for 21 years, share you stupid fucked up assholes....god that felt good!

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Tell them that you have the best username ever on LS1.com. If they still talk shit, kill them.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Tell them that you have the best username ever on LS1.com. If they still talk shit, kill them.
    haha! X2!!!!! Awesome!

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Snatch crap out of yer butt, sniff it and then fling it at them! I R Baboon indeed!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

this sort of thing erks me because i'm blue collar myself. Blue collar people make the world we live in operate for the most part. Theres a new crop of millionaires these days that are blue collar. Not everyone has things handed to them, and college isn't for everyone. I chose not to go and pursued the auto field. You having your own house, car etc is admirable. At 21 she's an adult. You have to impress her, not her parents. If by chance you impress someones parents then thats great. But if she likes and values you, shes gonna have to make a decision, not force you to make one and change yourself. I'd assume that she dates you because you are you? I think more then anything her parents probably find you threatening because you've achieved what a younger (21 yr old) boyfriend aspires to achieve ie owning a home. Therefore they can't raise any bars, its much easier for them to give the ok to a 21 yr old kid who is her age and doing the same things. jus my 2 cents. I hope it works out but dont freaking change yourself for her or her parents.

I tell my MIL to fuck off every chance I get.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie View Post
    I tell my MIL to fuck off every chance I get.
    You go girl! I like yer attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    You go girl! I like yer attitude!
    Can you convince my hubby to see it that way?

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by irbaboon View Post
    I will never change who I am, and im pretty damn proud of it. i still cant believe that they have to gall to tell their daughter that. They treat her like shes 5, and they think im hogging her. They had her for 21 years, share you stupid fucked up assholes....god that felt good!
    If you really care about her, and she cares about her parents opinion that much, don't COMPLETELY avoid them. But like someone else said, don't be impolite, but there's no need to kiss ass. Just be respectful toward them. That way, they'll either eventually come around and be decent toward you, or your gf will know you're at least trying to stay civil. If you start being a complete asshole about them and refusing to be near them this early in your relationship, and she really cares about them, that's going to be a huge problem for her.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Pics of G/f right fucking now

Red
    2001 ws6

i dont know about the whole waiting in the car for her......no need to be impolite but try to avoid confrentation......show them in little suttle ways u treat her right.....get her at the door.....open the car door for her......just little things that hopefully they pick up on and see your a good guy and will treat her the way they want her to be treated.....

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie View Post
    Can you convince my hubby to see it that way?
    Probably not seeing how it's HIS mother after all.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    Pics of G/f right fucking now
    Fucking right now?????

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Kjz99z28 View Post
    If you really care about her, and she cares about her parents opinion that much, don't COMPLETELY avoid them. But like someone else said, don't be impolite, but there's no need to kiss ass. Just be respectful toward them. That way, they'll either eventually come around and be decent toward you, or your gf will know you're at least trying to stay civil. If you start being a complete asshole about them and refusing to be near them this early in your relationship, and she really cares about them, that's going to be a huge problem for her.
    So, far I must say Kj here has the most mature, imput on this matter. Now that being said, I usually charge $55 an hour for relationship advice, but today ONLY it is your FREE. You need to be polite and civil to them, show them although not educated you are a "good" man and "good" to their daughter. Most parents want the best for their children, and if it works out with you 2 kids. They want her to be happy ultimately, As long as she is treated "right" they will get over the education thing. Just be yourself, and let them know you are a hard worker and have worked for everything you have and will be good to their daughter. Treat them with respect and they will treat you the same eventually......They did raise her and "should" trust her judgement. There you goGlad to help.
    Dr.Brad

Black
    1999 Trans am

I've seen this happen before, i'll just forewarn you now, it will only get worse. She can sit there and say that you are dating her whole family at 3 months? What is it going to be like at 6 months 1 year 5 years? The whole age thing should not be an issue with them, there is a 6 year difference. Many marriages have a gap of up to 5 years, my cousin is married. He's 25 his wife is 38. Neither side of the family has an issue with that.

My personal opinion ride it out for the next few months see how it progresses, don't kiss ass be you, because if you kiss ass and not be you, you get married to this "woman" you go back to your old self issues will arise and both sides will end up getting hurt a lot more than you would now. So just play it safe...BTW if you get married PRENUP so she cant take your house and shit.

Black
    2005 GTO

I don't think it has anything to do with you being blue collar and has every thing to do with the age difference. If you were 21, blue collar and did't go to college I don't think there would be a problem. At her age 6 year difference is alot even at 21 she has alot of growing up to do. As Kjz9928 said be respectful to her and her family and they should come around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information