Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Getting a new dog

Thinking about a yellow lab or german shepherd. Anyone have experience with the two?

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

German shepard, I have one now. Had another one when I was young. They are very loyal and intelligent. Great dogs who are very protective of their territory. Hopefully I have another pup on the way.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

GS's are great dogs. Not too sure about how they'd deal with the Florida heat.

Labs can be hit or miss. Some are awesome, some are wacked out freakin' NUTS and no training will do a bit of good. So much inbreeding has really hurt them.

Personally? I prefer Boxers over every dog out there, with Dobermans a close second. For a small dog, the only choice is a Daschund.

Whatever you decide, make sure you visit a reputable breeder. Check with vets and such. Do NOT buy from a pet store or anything like that.

Also, it might be worth checking out the pound/shelter/rescue.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thats what I want but the g/f thinks they wont be good with kids. I say thats bs because we had one when I was a kid and she was so protective of us.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i have had a few labs....and what i have found out through experience with good vs bad labs is this....try to pick out a lab with the squarest head possible...i dont know what it is with the square heads, but they are the smartest, most loyal, and can be quite goofy of the bunch...i had a few of the round headed labs, and they dont respond well, always wild tearing crap up,and training does nothing for them. hope this helps out. when i move out of the city and get some land of my own, im getting another lab again.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Shepard. smart loyal dogs.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Thats what I want but the g/f thinks they wont be good with kids. I say thats bs because we had one when I was a kid and she was so protective of us.
    if your worried about a dog being over protective I would seriously rethink the Shepherd thing. The are very protective and very territorial. IMO those are great qualities to have. I also wouldnt worry about them with kids. We had a pure white shepherd that was great with me when I was a child. Even with me trying to ride him like a horse when i was four didnt bother him.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

A boxer not good with kids? On the contrary, boxers are phenomenal with kids. Naturally very protective of them, lots of energy, intelligent, lots of patience. A bit stubborn, which can make training problematic at times. Easy to care for; once a month bathing, ear cleaning, and the occasional nail clipping.

Key to any dog is good solid training EARLY, lots of love. Beating a dog never works to train them or make them protective, nor does tossing them out in the yard and forgetting about them. They're empathic, social animals with a natural guard instinct to protect their pack (i.e. you).

I have a rambunctious two year old son, and a two and half year old boxer. Never have I worried about them. My son has poked his eyes, pulled his ears, hit his snout (just general being a kid), fallen on him in a dead sleep, and my boxer has never even flinched. Just licks him and goes about his business of playing with him.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

we need a poll

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Never had a dog myself, but growing up my nextdoor neighbor had a shepherd that pretty much grew up with me, her, and her two sisters. Had a lot of fun with that dog, but he did get mean towards strangers when we were around. He's still listen to us and never attacked anyone, but they are pretty overprotective.

So really, if you get one, it'll be fine with you and the kid(s), but you would need to keep an eye on friends/family coming over..especially if they were playing with your small child(ren).

I had collies all my life, last dog was a lab. It was the smartest and easiest dog to train I ever had. He was house trained in 3 days at 10 weeks old. Most loyal and just best over all dog I ever had. I lost him to cancer last summer and have been looking for another recently. I've considered a german sheperd too, but pretty set on a lab.

Black
    94 hawk a4 02 hawk vertm6

I love my german shepherds, but damn do they shed.

murdered out 06 z06

both of those two dogs shed like hell. i have a yellow lab and she is badass. she has an attitude problem like shes the princess of the house but i love her anyway, its because i let her do whatever she wanted to when she was little. i thought it was funny when she would eat my couch

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Hands down German Shepherd. Smartest most loyal dog you'll ever have. Very active, love to play, best guard dog of probably any breed, and VERY good with kids. Thats a big reason a lot of owners have those dogs.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

Honestly if you want the truth. Get a pit-bull Hands down one of the best dogs you can buy. They are very Smart and (believe it or not) great with kids. When trained properly they are the dog least likely to bite a human. The downside of Pit's are their unjustified reputation and their natuaral aggressiveness towards other animals. They are protective and intimidating to would be bad guys. I would even suggest getting a female because male dogs can be a little hard headed.

go here and look around. www.pitbullforum.com Lots of info.

If you got a lab somone would break into your house and pet the dog while they are at it.
    Last edited by knightryda01; 01-07-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: blah

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thats funny about labs. My hearts set on a German Shepherd. Just gotta find me one now.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I have had/ have both dogs, yellow labs are good all around dogs like a golden retriever in mentality good with people. German shepards can be trained to be smart-some are dingy. And about 98% eat there tirds or roll in them , otherwise cool dogs I have a brown black and an all white.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by knightryda01 View Post
    Honestly if you want the truth. Get a pit-bull Hands down one of the best dogs you can buy. They are very Smart and (believe it or not) great with kids. When trained properly they are the dog least likely to bite a human. The downside of Pit's are their unjustified reputation and their natuaral aggressiveness towards other animals. They are protective and intimidating to would be bad guys. I would even suggest getting a female because male dogs can be a little hard headed.

go here and look around. www.pitbullforum.com Lots of info.

Click for full size

Click for full size

If you got a lab somone would break into your house and pet the dog while they are at it.
    Thats a kickass dog. Yes, I'd agree that Pits have such an unfair rep because of the inner city owners. My neighboors have a really big pitbull and the dog is the sweetest friendliest people loving dog you'll ever meet. Plays with the neighboorhood kids all day long and they play rough with him and the dog never so much as snarls at them. I intend on owning a pit one day, however I have heard that you should not buy one unless you are an active person that is willing to give them lots of attention and exercise. For me that wouldnt be a problem but some people buy them and then leave them in the house and the dog goes nuts and they think its because pits are bad dogs.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

We had a pit bull pup a while back. Someone stole her from our yard. She was a sweet ole thing.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

We had a pit bull pup a while back. Someone stole her from our yard. She was a sweet ole thing.
    I'd be so freakin pissed if that happened to me

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information