Thread: Gentrification

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Gentrification

I live in a area that is in transition for the better. 20 years ago it was rough. I lived here, so I know. Today its 75 percent better.
    One of the problems is public housing.Some corporation is running them so its a little better controlled.
    Seven years ago my better half and I had a house built on a empty lot where "certain people" hung out next door to a public housing residence. We moved in an it was good for about 4 months. Then the disturbances started. Hanging out in front of our house, placing clothing on our fence while they visited next door, loud music and littering.
    So now the battle started with older ignorant teenagers, stupid parents and " I think I know it all but won't work young adults".

I started with the first line of defense, the police. It worked but more help was needed. I began calling the management that ran public housing. The web that was tangled had to be straightened out. I was going to beat meetings. For those who don't know what those are. Kind of like block meetings with citizens, police, and other important figures.
    I was video recording the disturbances so the management couldn't state I was falsely making the disturbances up.

A few times I had to go outside for a stand down. The no good doers became intimidated. So due to my size and styles for self-defense. The no good doers decided to involve one of their, should I say, "dark knight" to intimdate me. That was a joke in itself. When he approached me he decided too tell me he was a black belt in kung fu. I started to laugh. He couldn't make heads or tails of why was laughing my head off. He asked me why I was laughing. I replied," you are here to defend idiots who keep throwing trash in my yard, placing their darn clothes on my fence and playing loud music". " Causing me an everyday problem". " You literally are here to defend that?" After an in depth conversation we shook hands and he left never to return again. Just so you ls1 guys know, I am more of a talker than a fighter.

To make the story more interesting. One Christmas eve of 2008 I got home from work and started playing my video game. My wife and kids are at a Christmas eve party. While playing, I hear a noise. I stick my head out the door and observed my daughter holding the gate open so my wife can reverse in. My daughter at the time was about 8 yoa. Well one of the idiots I was having a problem with is outside screaming at his girlfriend, looks at my daughter and states,"what the fuck are you looking at". He starts walking toward her and repeats it. Those who have children should know how I felt. I exploded to meet him to finish what he started with an 8 year old. My wife saved him from a father's wrath. I was angry to the tenth power. My wife calmed me down by getting in between me and the 20 year old no good jerk.
    He tells me," I didn't know it was your daughter!!!!!" My reply," it doesn't matter whose 8 year old she belongs to", she's eight". That was the last straw. I made another police report. The paper trail helped. He was evicted finally. Peace finally until now.
    2 weeks ago today there is a new renter who played loud music until 3am. I called the police 3 seperate times and they came three seperate times.
    Each time the police left, the music went up. So the following afternoon I decided to do the neighborly thing and talk to them which they claimed they'd never do it again. They did it again that night. The following Monday I was on the phone with management. I guess they dealt with them.
    I see the guy and he has the nerve to tell me how wrong I was. I didn't engage in that ridiculous conversation. In my mind he completely ignored what he agreed on what he wouldn't due.

So the point here is I'm glad private corps are running public housing. They do a decent job.
    The people who live in public housing. I have nothing against. I'm only against them being disrespectful neighbors. They have to get used to working people and a peaceful clean neighborhood.
    Last edited by odinsonthor; 04-21-2011 at 04:56 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'm curious as to why anyone would build a house next to the "projects"..

Most folks tend to build their homes in less stressfull atmospheres..

Just sayin'..

Unfortunately for every one you get rid of there are 1000 to take their place...

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post

I'm curious as to why anyone would build a house next to the "projects"..

Most folks tend to build their homes in less stressfull atmospheres..

Just sayin'..

Unfortunately for every one you get rid of there are 1000 to take their place...
    I wish I had a picture of the area to show yous. The neighborhood has completely changed. The public housings look like condos. Its not what you think.
    I went where my money took me. My wife and I was looking at the time when realty was ridiculously high.
    Last edited by odinsonthor; 04-21-2011 at 05:08 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by odinsonthor View Post
    I wish I had a picture of the area to show yous. The neighborhood has completely changed. The public housings look like condos. Its not what you think.
    I went where my money took me. My wife and I was looking at the time when realty was ridiculously high.
    I see.. Hope it has a nice view..

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Sadly, your story does not suprise me. The world has become filled with self-serving, self-centered, self-absorbed, inconsiderate people. The world revolves around them alone. Nothing they do is wrong. The mere suggestion that they are in the wrong is absurd. They know all, and challenge anyone who dares to think otherwise.

The state of affairs of the attitudes of most people is obvious when comments are made praising someone who is different. A kind, considerate, thoughtful, humble, good person is becoming harder to find in younger generations. It's not something that will change anytime soon either.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Sadly, your story does not suprise me. The world has become filled with self-serving, self-centered, self-absorbed, inconsiderate people. The world revolves around them alone. Nothing they do is wrong. The mere suggestion that they are in the wrong is absurd. They know all, and challenge anyone who dares to think otherwise.

The state of affairs of the attitudes of most people is obvious when comments are made praising someone who is different. A kind, considerate, thoughtful, humble, good person is becoming harder to find in younger generations. It's not something that will change anytime soon either.
    Sadly, there is truth to that.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

i blame the parents, and the parents parents, and so on and so forth.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    i blame the parents, and the parents parents, and so on and so forth.
    Parents are much to blame. But people such as they still have to learn to respect others.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

TROOF!!!!!

My house is not in the best part of Tempe but it's close to work (2 miles), more than big enough for a single guy (1700+ sq ft, 3 bd/2 bath - 15,600+ sq ft lot with a nice pool) and suits me just fine. My biggest problem is not with hood rats but college kids as I live within 1 mile of ASU. They love to party. But I knew this going in.

Like you I've had a few problems with kids having parties that last late into the night. Fortunately they've been resolved without police presence but I've been tempted a few time due to live bands playing after 12 midnight.

I bought this place with the idea of knowing that at some time in the future I'd turn it into a rental and move to a better (read: more adult) community...

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    TROOF!!!!!

My house is not in the best part of Tempe but it's close to work (2 miles), more than big enough for a single guy (1700+ sq ft, 3 bd/2 bath - 15,600+ sq ft lot with a nice pool) and suits me just fine. My biggest problem is not with hood rats but college kids as I live within 1 mile of ASU. They love to party. But I knew this going in.

Like you I've had a few problems with kids having parties that last late into the night. Fortunately they've been resolved without police presence but I've been tempted a few time due to live bands playing after 12 midnight.

I bought this place with the idea of knowing that at some time in the future I'd turn it into a rental and move to a better (read: more adult) community...
    I understand that you knew. I knew that there might be issues. But not to this extent.

College kids come and go. These types stay. Thats fine and dandy. They must and have to learn to respect other people.
    They feel they are losing the neighborhood to working people. Thats really not the case. Working people are just cleaning it up and making communities safer.
    Its alot better than it has been. Its just amazing how you and the working neighbors can get along. I know that there are exceptions
    Working people are moving in and respect has to be shown.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I see this everyday in life.....As well as right here on this forum.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

This is why I am glad I was punished as a child when I was wrong. I agree with the previoulsy stated posts. People need to know and ACCEPT right from wrong and learn to take a side. Not just skate by and have a "whatever" attitude.

Thread Information