Artic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Gear ratio question.

I am buying a Chrysler Aspen with the hemi. I can get the trailer package which has a 3.92 gear ratio. It comes stock with 3.55 ratio.

Is there a big difference here? What will mileage be like with the 3.92 compared to the 3.55? I'm no mechanic and I never was really up on ratios.

Thanks for the help.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHotSS View Post
    I am buying a Chrysler Aspen with the hemi. I can get the trailer package which has a 3.92 gear ratio. It comes stock with 3.55 ratio.

Is there a big difference here? What will mileage be like with the 3.92 compared to the 3.55? I'm no mechanic and I never was really up on ratios.

Thanks for the help.
    I don't think you'll notice too much of a gas mileage drop, those hemis dont get good fuel mileage to begin with.

The real question is, do you actually tow anything? If you don't I'd jus get the 3.55 if the mileage is that much of a concern. That hemi is pretty torquey.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yeah, prepare for the gas mileage to rape you. I used to be a chrysler/dodge tech, and I never saw the hemi durangos get better than 16 or 17 on the highway.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    Yeah, prepare for the gas mileage to rape you. I used to be a chrysler/dodge tech, and I never saw the hemi durangos get better than 16 or 17 on the highway.
    Got sick of getting ass raped by that new warranty eh? lol I hate warranty time, makes me wanna kill the engineers.

Artic White
    2001 Camaro SS

Well I will only be towing a jet ski or possibly my friends 22 ft boat.( I don't know how much it weighs,but the truck can tow 8,700 lbs)

As per the mileage, it has that feature that shuts off 4 of the 8 at highway speeds.

Plus it has the lifetime powertrain and 3/36000 mi warranty.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteHotSS View Post
    Well I will only be towing a jet ski or possibly my friends 22 ft boat.( I don't know how much it weighs,but the truck can tow 8,700 lbs)

As per the mileage, it has that feature that shuts off 4 of the 8 at highway speeds.

Plus it has the lifetime powertrain and 3/36000 mi warranty.
    That cylinder deactivation really doesnt seem to be making too much of a difference from what i've heard. That hemi should pull a jetski no problem, 22 ft boat as well. Is the towing package more money?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Got sick of getting ass raped by that new warranty eh? lol I hate warranty time, makes me wanna kill the engineers.

I was more sick of the dealer and the service manager, plus I just wanted to go back to college. I love working on cars, but as I found out, I don't like doing it for a living. At least not under the conditions I was working under. Warranty time did suck though, don't see where they came up with some of that bs.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

It makes more of a difference in the cars than anything. With the way gas prices are going, I wouldn't even dream of buying an suv.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by C&Cbird View Post
    I was more sick of the dealer and the service manager, plus I just wanted to go back to college. I love working on cars, but as I found out, I don't like doing it for a living. At least not under the conditions I was working under. Warranty time did suck though, don't see where they came up with some of that bs.
    Service Managers can be such a pain in the ass, I have 2 of them and one of them is a pain in the ass like no other.

Artic White
    2001 Camaro SS

It is only $500 more and it includes other stuff with it, power steering cooler, skid plates and stuff like that.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I really disliked mine, one of the few people that I really don't like. Just to give you an idea of how bad they were treating the techs, we had three chevy guys and five chrysler guys and all of them quit and either got different jobs or went to a different dealer from a span of about april/may to december.
    Last edited by C&Cbird; 04-09-2008 at 04:17 PM.

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Get the tow package. They are always worth it. Add up all the things you get with a tow package and there is no way you could beat the price. The gear ratio difference will should make a difference in acceleration. After I bought my Nissan Titan I kicked myself for not getting the tow package, just for the gearing and tranny cooler and I never towed anything. As for gas mileage it will suck either way. The shorter gear may make a 1 or 2 mpg difference.

Thread Information