Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

fun with the dog

got a harness for him and we pulled a hickory log up that I use for smoking. He's still too young and this was too much for him. I helped him out with it and then put it on a wagon to make it easier. Definitely going to start with something much lighter. He could move it but gave up pretty quick. Just wanted to get him used to the harness and pulling things a little. Did some reading on pulling and I'll need to start way smaller and it'll take some time. I just need him ready by next fall so he can pull out my deer when I shoot one.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

beautiful dog,saint benard right?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I really do love his markings

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Hide the kids toys... Make the dog pull hickory log.. I think I am starting to get it..

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I thought that's what kids were for

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Hide the kids toys, make them drink buttermilk... Make the dog pull hickory log.. I think I am starting to get it..
    haha

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I gotta get out and get some good pictures of him with a regular camera and not my phone. He's a beautiful dog and yes....he's a St Benard. He's working out really well for us. Extremely well behaved and learns things really quick so far. About the only issue he really has are clothes. Little shit will go knock over the hamper and drag clothes all over the damn house. Don't chew them up or anything....just spreads them around the house. We started keeping the back bathroom's door closed but if one of the kids uses that one and leaves the door open he's all over that hamper.
    I'm gonna try to get out tomorrow with him and a camera and get some good pictures of him.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Hide the kids toys... Make the dog pull hickory log.. I think I am starting to get it..
    it's my way or the highway. Leave your toys out and they might disappear.....eat food in the house you have to earn it. Kids have their own list of things to do. It's age appropriate so I'd never have them out doing work the dog could do. They do things like clean their rooms and pick up things around the house. Chloe actually likes helping out....she wants to unload the dishwasher and fold clothes and all kinds of stuff.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i was reading the story before the pic, and i was like seriously? i was thinkig it;d be a lab or something. then you got this big beast of a st bernard. haha. reminds me of when we had one when i was younger...i rode him around like a horse in the back yard. and we made the laundry room his "kennel" at nite. but he was just so darned happy to be inside he wouldnt quite wagging his tail. it would keep us up all nite as he beat the dryer to death with his tail, and had the dents to prove it....i hope he comes from a good bloodline, as they can actually get arthritis in their joints easily. ours grew up way too fast, like literally full grown at 6 months, and his body couldnt take it, and he passed away due to the pain maybe some day ill get another st bernard. they are a very loyal dog

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    i was reading the story before the pic, and i was like seriously? i was thinkig it;d be a lab or something. then you got this big beast of a st bernard. haha. reminds me of when we had one when i was younger...i rode him around like a horse in the back yard. and we made the laundry room his "kennel" at nite. but he was just so darned happy to be inside he wouldnt quite wagging his tail. it would keep us up all nite as he beat the dryer to death with his tail, and had the dents to prove it....i hope he comes from a good bloodline, as they can actually get arthritis in their joints easily. ours grew up way too fast, like literally full grown at 6 months, and his body couldnt take it, and he passed away due to the pain maybe some day ill get another st bernard. they are a very loyal dog
    yep, they have a lot of health risks just due to their size. His mom and dad were both healthy adults but it's always a crap shoot. We've been limiting the amount of food he eats somewhat. He's not a big eater at the moment really....just kinda grazes though the day. He's eating ~6 cups a day. My last dog had hip/joint problems and it sucks watching them go through that. It probably worries me more than anything else. I had to put our last one down due to it and it sucks.....mentally he was still there and ready to go but his body just gave up on him. Hopefully Chunk won't have those problems although even at his young age I think he seems like he struggles getting up sometimes. Some of that could be soreness from playing with the kids too though which we limit also because they can hurt themselves by playing too hard when they're puppies.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

yea thats good thinking limiting how hard you are on the lil guy. and a good diet will always help the situation too....and letting him ease into the pulling will be good for him too, start out small, then get him to the point that he could possibly get that deer out for you. but the part of not putting a ton of stress on him as a puppy will help him grow big and strong. lol i like the name Chunk for him. that seems to fit a st bernard really well.. i take it this isnt your first st bernard?

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

beautiful dog!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

He could give my dogs horsey rides

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I gotta get out and get some good pictures of him with a regular camera and not my phone. He's a beautiful dog and yes....he's a St Benard. He's working out really well for us. Extremely well behaved and learns things really quick so far. About the only issue he really has are clothes. Little shit will go knock over the hamper and drag clothes all over the damn house. Don't chew them up or anything....just spreads them around the house. We started keeping the back bathroom's door closed but if one of the kids uses that one and leaves the door open he's all over that hamper.
    I'm gonna try to get out tomorrow with him and a camera and get some good pictures of him.
    May i start of by saying great looking dog and nice markings, and as for him knocking over the hamper and making such a mess thats just "Job Security" for you my friend, you need to teach him to bring mud in the house chew up papers anything to keep you employed

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    He could give my dogs horsey rides
    My dogs would eat him.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    My dogs would eat him.
    I've had mean dogs in the past. Matter of fact that's why we had to get rid of the last one....he was nasty as hell. Got tired of dealing with it and worrying about the kids friends when they came over. I wanted a gentle giant this time around and that's exactly what he is. Loves playing with kids....well for 15 minutes and then he sleeps the next 4 hours

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    May i start of by saying great looking dog and nice markings, and as for him knocking over the hamper and making such a mess thats just "Job Security" for you my friend, you need to teach him to bring mud in the house chew up papers anything to keep you employed
    my job security is pretty good. We've kinda been mulling over another kid and if that happens I'm officially never going back to work. I'll just open up a BBQ stand in the driveway.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

BBQ stand in the driveway... That's funny

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    BBQ stand in the driveway... That's funny
    funny......but serious. I've thought the last few years about putting a sign out front and doing that. I mean the damn smoker is running most of the week anyhow.....might as well sell some of the meat instead of giving most of it away.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Build a drive through vacuum place.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information