Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Unhappy former UFC champ Evan Tanner - DEAD

(got this from another forum)

Remembering Tanner Former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion Evan Tanner was found dead near Palo Verde, Calif. on Monday. He was 37.

Tanner had trekked into the desert on a journey to “cleanse” himself, according to Douglas Vincitorio of Tanner’s management team. “He went out to the desert to do a ‘cleansing’ as he called it. Kind of like ‘Survivorman.’” These short trips were not new to Tanner, said Vincitorio. It is something that he has done numerous times over the years.

“What we were told is that (Sheriff’s officials who found Tanner) believe his motorcycle had run out of gas, so he went to walk out in like 115- to 118-degree heat,” Vincitorio said. “He was miles away from his camp. That’s where the helicopter found him. Right now, they just think that he succumbed to the heat.”

Tanner had apparently told friends before he left that if they hadn’t heard from him in a couple of days, they should contact officials, which is what happened. When he stopped responding to text messages, friends waited a couple of days and then notified officials at the Imperial County Sherrif’s Department on Friday.

A search ensued and Tanner’s body was found Monday.

On Aug. 10, Tanner wrote a blog on Spike TV’s website, proclaiming his desire to start an adventure in the desert east of his new home in Oceanside, Calif. An avid outdoorsman and wandering spirit, he wanted to escape civilization for a while.

“I’m not just going out into the desert, I’m going out into the desert to hunt for lost treasure,” he wrote. “I’m going on a pilgrimage of sorts, a journey to solitude, to do some thinking, and to pay my respects to the great mysteries.”

On Aug. 16, Tanner wrote about collecting supplies for his journey, and wrote about the dangers he might face.

“I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life,” he said. “I’ve been doing a great deal of research and study. I want to know all I can about where I’m going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment.”

Of course, this led followers of his blog to fear for his safety, as they often did when Tanner reported his frequent by-the-seat-of-his-pants adventures. In a blog dated Aug. 27, Tanner tried to calm his audience.

“This isn’t a version of ‘Into the Wild,’” he wrote. “I’m not going out into the desert with a pair of shorts and a bowie knife, to try to live off the land. I’m going fully geared up, and I’m planning on having some fun.”

But he also affirmed that things could go wrong if his equipment wasn’t up to snuff.

“I do plan on going back pretty far, so I did mention in one of my posts that I wanted to make sure to have good quality gear,” he said. “Any failure of gear out in the desert could cause a problem.”

On Sept. 2, Tanner wrote his final blog entry, documenting a training session at a facility in Oceanside.

The Amarillo, Texas native was a high school wrestling stand out who won the state championships his junior and senior years despite only getting into the sport as a sophomore. He entered mixed martial arts in 1997 encouraged by friends.

Tanner rose to the top of the mixed martial arts world by winning the UFC middleweight title over David Terrell at UFC 51: “Super Saturday” Feb. 5, 2005. He lost the title later in the year to Rich Franklin. Tanner, who had a career MMA record of 32-8 last competed in the UFC on June 21 losing to Kendall Grove by split decision.

“He will obviously be sorely missed,” said Vincitorio. Adding, “I think that Evan would want to be remembered as a very complex man with many layers, not just a fighter.”

Tanner was surely a unique personality. He’s eclectic spirit and competitive nature will be sorely missed in the MMA community.
    (2002 SS 6spd) SLP lid & scoop,NX wet kit & maf, NGK-TR6,160',MSD,Kooks LT & y-pipe,SLP Dual center exhaust,cut-out,tuning SUSPENSION Chromoly k-member, Chromoly adjustable upper and lower a-arms,koni s-adj,Eibach sport springs,Wilwood brakes,SB,BSK,TA,TAB,SFC,PHB,ST,18x9.5&18x10.5, Nittos

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    Brutal news I wonder what the details that will be released over the next few weeks will be?
    RIP

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

rip...

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

great fighter but not much of a survialist...

there are ways to survive being trapped in the desert.
    his situation almost sounds like a peacefull suicide, that was well planned and disguised.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I saw this on Yahoo home page this morning... Very sad. I really admired his methodical ground and submission technique. Relentless and nearly futile to oppose. It's like watching an anaconda crush a pig.

R.I.P. Evan Tanner

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I think he simply wanted the challenge of his life and got it. The article shows blog excerpts talking about if gear fails, it could cost him his life, etc. He wanted to stare death in the face, who knows if he actually wanted to die or not. I hope not.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    great fighter but not much of a survialist...

there are ways to survive being trapped in the desert.
    his situation almost sounds like a peacefull suicide, that was well planned and disguised.
    I agree....

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

He was a self-admitted alcoholic. Many personal problem and a broken marriage was what a read years back. But I know he loved the out door. We would spend weeks out in the mountains camping and hunting. Then get a call to fight for the UFC. He would clean up and get in shape, then fight, get his pay check and back to the mountain. Cool guy and sad news.

Chalk up another fight he lost! Oh!

Too soon?

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

RIP

Thread Information