Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Question Fitness Guys/Runners Enter

So I started running again after not doing it for a long ass time. My goal is to run 3 miles in 18 minutes.

Back when I ran competitively, my personal best was a 5:43 mile at about 16 years old. So trying to get back to that and better.

Any important pointers that would help, that are less obvious than just running a lot?

2011 Prius

Good shoes and to stretch.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Good shoes and to stretch.
    I meant more technical sort of stuff.

In high school our coach had us do speed work, intervals, etc. to increase our distance times, but I've forgotten all of it.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

If your goal is to do three miles in 18 minutes, do interval training. You may want to consider changing your eating habits as well

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Never run 3 miles. Always run 4-6 at least. Get your body used to running 6 miles at your comfortable pace, then you'll be able to more or less sprint a 3 mile run.

Also, as far as technique, run on the balls of your feet with a long stride (meaning your feet go farther back behind you than what seems normal.) Feels weird at first but it's better on your joints than running on your heels like most people do and it'll shave a few seconds off your time.

Frequent stretching goes without saying.

Shoes play a much bigger part than you'd think as well. Drop som cash on a good pair of running shoes....you'll notice a difference.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    Never run 3 miles. Always run 4-6 at least. Get your body used to running 6 miles at your comfortable pace, then you'll be able to more or less sprint a 3 mile run.
    I would do five plus mile runs at least twice a week. Throw interval training in once a week

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

interval training once a week. do 1 mile intervals a bit faster than your goal pace for the 3 mile with a nice break in between. do three of them, this gets your body used to running at pace. then to mix it up the next week and weeks after run 6 half miles even faster pace the nthe miles and i wouldnt do intervals shorter then 1/4 mile.
    heres wat my general week was when i was in training.
    monday- nice easy run, get the legs moving from the weekend
    tuesday, interval training
    wednesday-stairs, hills , etc
    thursday- long run. longest of the week but at a nice competative pace.
    friday-generally the day before a race so just 4 miles slow and comfortable.
    saturday-race day- if no race then either just take the day off or another confortable run.
    sunday-rest

this is the most common setup, i can tell ya more details, of distances, times, my personal best on that schedule if ya want.

Artic
    2000 SS

If you ran before, and at the times you posted... I you know what you're doing. Just go with what you already know.

Impounded
    2000 firechicken

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I meant more technical sort of stuff.

In high school our coach had us do speed work, intervals, etc. to increase our distance times, but I've forgotten all of it.
    less posting on here and more running. lol

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by infantryws6 View Post
    If your goal is to do three miles in 18 minutes, do interval training. You may want to consider changing your eating habits as well
    Barring alcohol and fast food every now and then, my diet is still relatively healthy and high in protein, still a habit from when I lifted more seriously. What type of foods do you suggest?
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post

Also, as far as technique, run on the balls of your feet with a long stride (meaning your feet go farther back behind you than what seems normal.) Feels weird at first but it's better on your joints than running on your heels like most people do and it'll shave a few seconds off your time.

Frequent stretching goes without saying.

Shoes play a much bigger part than you'd think as well. Drop som cash on a good pair of running shoes....you'll notice a difference.
    True about the shoes, mine from track still fit and are great, but I probably will pick up some new ones, the ones from high school have a slash in the side from a relay mishap... teammate stumbled and stepped on my foot with his spikes
    Quote Originally Posted by infantryws6 View Post
    I would do five plus mile runs at least twice a week. Throw interval training in once a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    interval training once a week. do 1 mile intervals a bit faster than your goal pace for the 3 mile with a nice break in between. do three of them, this gets your body used to running at pace. then to mix it up the next week and weeks after run 6 half miles even faster pace the nthe miles and i wouldnt do intervals shorter then 1/4 mile.
    heres wat my general week was when i was in training.
    monday- nice easy run, get the legs moving from the weekend
    tuesday, interval training
    wednesday-stairs, hills , etc
    thursday- long run. longest of the week but at a nice competative pace.
    friday-generally the day before a race so just 4 miles slow and comfortable.
    saturday-race day- if no race then either just take the day off or another confortable run.
    sunday-rest

this is the most common setup, i can tell ya more details, of distances, times, my personal best on that schedule if ya want.
    Thanks, this great info, the sort of thing I'm looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by NycS2 View Post
    If you ran before, and at the times you posted... I you know what you're doing. Just go with what you already know.
    Yeah I do have experience, but as I said before, about the interval training I forgot the distances/times/rests/etc that my coach had us do, and wanted something more specific about that.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Brian H Drifer View Post
    less posting on here and more running. lol

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    So I started running again after not doing it for a long ass time. My goal is to run 3 miles in 18 minutes.

Back when I ran competitively, my personal best was a 5:43 mile at about 16 years old. So trying to get back to that and better.

Any important pointers that would help, that are less obvious than just running a lot?
    me and my best friend always competed for most fit in highschool he ran 5:04 mile and i was like but i always could bench more so

its all about your heart, just do lots of cardio and skys the limit on your running ability

Trans Am owner
    former

I push carts. dont play any other sports or anyhting, and do do anything outside of work except mechanic stuff and chill with freinds.

I can run my 3 mile in 20 minutes. so, 5-6 mph, or a brisk walk pushing a few hundred pounds whips you into shape apparently.

Arctic White
    2000 Trans Am WS6

I find that doing weight lifting helps me with my running endurance .. my muscles don't feel as fatigued for example when I am running up hills.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Is there anything that would help with shitty knees and ankles? I would love to run but football, motocross, and my size 13 flat feet have teamed up to cluster fuck my joints. Glucosamine hasn't really helped.. Maybe shoes, certain exercises, etc ?

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Just weighed/measured on friday at 128lbs and 5'9". Trust me when I tell you I know running.

The biggest thing that I found is the ability to push yourself. I'd be completely exhausted and still going as hard as I could. You have to have the drive to want it. If you don't throw up when you are done, you weren't giving it all you had. Oh, and learn to breathe right. This sounds really simple, but breathing right was the #1 thing the XC coach used to say. Good article on this found here: http://www.military.com/military-fit...uring-exercise

Eat carbs the night before a hard run, like pasta. I used to chug a honey bear right before I took off also. For instant energy. Stay away from monster and redbull etc...

If you want to get your ass kicked in a race, you can find me at Anytime between the two fat chicks that will give up before the month is over.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

128 @ 5'9"?

I'm 160lbs as of today, same height, and I'm skinny.

u anorexic bro?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    me and my best friend always competed for most fit in highschool he ran 5:04 mile and i was like but i always could bench more so

its all about your heart, just do lots of cardio and skys the limit on your running ability
    Sounds like the guys who made me look bad on the team
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyLS1 View Post
    I find that doing weight lifting helps me with my running endurance .. my muscles don't feel as fatigued for example when I am running up hills.
    Like heavy lifting? Or just girly "toning" stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Is there anything that would help with shitty knees and ankles? I would love to run but football, motocross, and my size 13 flat feet have teamed up to cluster fuck my joints. Glucosamine hasn't really helped.. Maybe shoes, certain exercises, etc ?
    Buy a shark

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

wat did u run for track? just curious

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

You are NOT skinny. I got ribs showing, that's skinny.

And no I am not annorexic. I burn way more calories than I take in. It's just the nature of my life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information