Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Family and business can it co-exist?

So my business has been going great for awhile now and I'm gonna be opening up a physical location in the spring/summer of next year. I have some family members that want to work at the location.I am kinda on the fence about that.....have any of you guys ever included your family in your business? How did it work out? A lot of successful people have said not to do it.

I would like your opinions...
    Last edited by Murder after Midnight; 10-01-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Because i can....you got a problem with that?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I would imagine a decision like that is as individual as the family itself. Works for some, not for others. How does your family get along as a whole?

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I would imagine a decision like that is as individual as the family itself. Works for some, not for others. How does your family get along as a whole?
    To be honest not well(outside my immediate family) alot of up's and down's........but a lot of them are out of work and need help....to be honest I sometimes feel my kindness has/will ultimately continue to be my undoing......
    It's something i'm gonna have to give a lot of thought...........

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I say try them out one at a time if you give in to your kindness/desire to help family

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    So my business has been going great for awhile now and I'm gonna be opening up a physical location in the spring/summer of next year. I have some family members that want to work at the location.I am kinda on the fence about that.....have any of you guys ever included your family in your business? How did it work out? A lot of successful people have said not to do it.

I would like your opinions...
    I have personal experience with this. It can work out if you set up rules (such as you're the boss at the end of the day) and it depends if your personalities clash. My brother and I worked at my parent's business and it sucked mainly because I hate his guts. But working with my parents was completely fine.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, making sure that everyone knows that this is a business and no funny business will be tolerated would be important. And then, it's up to you to follow through with the rules you set. So, if you think you'll have issue letting any of them go, for whatever reason, then maybe you need to think twice about it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

You need to watch a few of their episodes to answer your question.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You need to watch a few of their episodes to answer your question.

Click for full size

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

No, and that's coming from someone who gets along fine with everyone in his family.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

If you're a nice guy, good luck firing a family member. Being a nice guy myself, I would have a hard time firing anyone, much less a family member. It would be easier not going that route at all than to 'test the waters'

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I don't employ anyone in my family, or friends for that matter, and I get along with everybody. It seems like most people try to take advantage of those situations. Not everyone does though. But why risk it. Someday, when my son is old enough, and if he wants to follow this line of work, maybe he'll work here. But that would be more to turn the business over to him.

Now if it was a matter of serious financial needs of a close friend or family member, I may consider temporarily hiring them to help them out.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You already answered your own question. Don't let family ruin YOUR success. That's harsh, but it is true.

They will take advantage of you - that is already apparent by them asking you to employ them. They are already assuming the "nice guy" will say...oh sure, come work for me.

Tell them to get off their ass and go find a job. No offense to your family members

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

My younger brother worked for me twice one job was very structured. Fine but he was still pain being the typical younger smart ass type brother. The other job was a contract/free lance job. I threatened to fire him daily and swore never to work with him again after that.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Thread Information