Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

The fall of the NFL continues...

I knew this was coming someday. It's really long, but a very interesting read nonetheless. If in a year, or ten, we find out that professional football has been completely a scripted production since the late nineties I would not be the slightest bit surprised.

From Spygate to Deflategate: Inside what split the NFL and New England Patriots apart

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's just under terrible leadership is all and it's way of dealing with rule violations is completely flawed. I find it funny that espn is digging up shit 7 years old trying to make it current news. Next week when the games start this will all go away like it always does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Whhaaaaa who cares. They never had direct evidence to tie Brady give it a rest.
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

red
    95 Z28

As poorly as this was handled, and as shady as the Patriots may have been, the NFL isn't going anywhere.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Roger Goodell has never to my knowledge performed or held an investigation that was "by the book" so it was pretty much impossible for this investigation to hold up in court...all they had to do was find one piece of the puzzle that was not done correctly or was biased and it was game over.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Roger Goodell has never to my knowledge performed or held an investigation that was "by the book" so it was pretty much impossible for this investigation to hold up in court...all they had to do was find one piece of the puzzle that was not done correctly or was biased and it was game over.
    Yup...and now every single punishment handed down will be challenged and overturned in court. The NFL no longer has the power to enforce it's rules. The unraveling has begun.

Obviously, i'm not saying that professional football is going away. Of course not. But the NFL as we know it is doomed. The future will be a less laughable version of the XFL (if anyone remembers that).

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    Yup...and now the NFL has no power to enforce it's rules. The unraveling has begun.

Obviously, i'm not saying that professional football is going away. Of course not. But the NFL as we know it is doomed. The future will be a less laughable version of the XFL (if anyone remembers that).
    The NFL union runs the show...every time they get upset they flex some muscle and get whatever they want most of the time.

I'm really surprised Roger has lasted this long BUT I can see how he's still in his position because he has substantially increased revenues which is what the owners wanted and why they back him.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    The nfl is going to continue to move along nicely. Things aren't going to change hardly at all. As soon as we get a week or two into the season everyone will forget about his and it's going to be business as usual.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

If the Players Union is as strong as some of you feel then how come they haven't pushed for the removal of Salary caps? Why would players want their salaries restricted because the team as a whole can't spend more then x per season?

I know the purpose of Salary cap is to prevent teams like DAL, Pat's and 49's running away with all the elite players all the time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

because it's the players union's job to get everyone paid and not just the big market teams. The salary cap is to try and make the field more level.

Navy Blue Metallic

So you're confirming my point. Cap is suppose to work just like the draft. Shittest team in the league gets the #1 pick. So what's the point of winning the SB if you don't get the spoils of winning. Win the SB you get 1st pick, lose you get last pick. That should make SB more interesting.....

Salary cap keeps the low paid players lower and lets the high pay players bargain for more.

How many times do you see 1 player paid multi-million contracts and the young 1-2 yr player get's mostly peanuts. Most start out at 100k or less. Only the rare superstar breaks that and for the 1-2 yr guys it's when they get a real agent that their payday goes up.

If no cap you cant argue teams like DAL with JJ wouldn't kick the money out. He's the riches owner of the league.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Honestly, I do believe that this does hurt the NFL. As far as lack of evidence goes, phones don't get destroyed just in time to not hand it over to the investigators for nothing. Brady had something to hide, or he wouldnt have destroyed the phone. We don't know what it is, but we do know his action has put a serious question mark to his ethics and integrity, for all we know, he was hiding somethong even more damaging.

There has been more of a hint of Patriots inpropriety over they years, and this adds to it, and also brings into question every other teams integrity. The total overturning of punishment by the courts makes it even worse. I think fans from everywhere will have less interest, and viewership will take a hit because of the lack of legitimacy the league now garners.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    So you're confirming my point. Cap is suppose to work just like the draft. Shittest team in the league gets the #1 pick. So what's the point of winning the SB if you don't get the spoils of winning. Win the SB you get 1st pick, lose you get last pick. That should make SB more interesting.....

Salary cap keeps the low paid players lower and lets the high pay players bargain for more.

How many times do you see 1 player paid multi-million contracts and the young 1-2 yr player get's mostly peanuts. Most start out at 100k or less. Only the rare superstar breaks that and for the 1-2 yr guys it's when they get a real agent that their payday goes up.

If no cap you cant argue teams like DAL with JJ wouldn't kick the money out. He's the riches owner of the league.
    I'm gonna assume this is the back pills talking but I'll play along. The cap along with the draft is set up to keep teams equal. That way you don't have 70-7 blowouts like you do in college. It makes more sense for everyone in the league if the teams are competitive. Ask JJ how much money he makes when Jacksonville comes to town versus how much money he makes when Green Bay or some other powerhouse comes to town. People won't go to games that are going to be known blowouts.....exactly why the NFL does blackouts.
    Now...onto player salaries. There are vet minimums to protect vet players salaries and a couple years ago they capped the amount a rookie can make and assigned it by draft position. They may as well call that the Sam Bradford rule. What happens is a double edged sword though. Vets eventually earn more than their production and then have problems finding a team late in their careers. Case in point is right now Hakeem Nicks did a work out for the Saints. The only way he's going to get signed by ANY team right now is at vet minimum. Tenn just cut him and he was only going to make like $1.4M. His production just doesn't equal his pay these days. The vet minimum for him is like $100k or something like that. Pierre Thomas was cut by the saints this year because they didn't feel his production was worth his salary so for the team it made more sense to just release him versus paying the money. Without the vet minimum though he could've bargained to stay in the league another year or two so the end result is him sitting at home earning zero dollars. TO, Chad Johnson, ect ect. Those guys were in the same boat. Instead of guaranteed money for the vet players it just speeds up retirement.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Honestly, I do believe that this does hurt the NFL. As far as lack of evidence goes, phones don't get destroyed just in time to not hand it over to the investigators for nothing. Brady had something to hide, or he wouldnt have destroyed the phone. We don't know what it is, but we do know his action has put a serious question mark to his ethics and integrity, for all we know, he was hiding somethong even more damaging.

There has been more of a hint of Patriots inpropriety over they years, and this adds to it, and also brings into question every other teams integrity. The total overturning of punishment by the courts makes it even worse. I think fans from everywhere will have less interest, and viewership will take a hit because of the lack of legitimacy the league now garners.
    you were making sense until that statement If one thing has been proven it's that the fans don't give a shit about any of that. Fans are willing to have murderers, rapists, and thugs on their teams if it means winning. That's fact. Ask any patriots fan if they would want Brady on their team. Then go ask any fan of any team if they would want Brady on their team. You will get almost a 100% yes vote from all of them. The only people that would say no are the guys that either know it would never happen or the guys that deep down know they're lying. If Brady hit free agency he would have his pick of 31 other teams to choose from just like Manning did. The NFL is going nowhere no matter what they do. The fans would never let that happen. I can see no issue that would ever even cause a decline in viewers for the NFL. If anything all this horse shit makes them more popular. Wonder what the ratings will be for the game tonight? Guarantee you it'll be more than any other show on tonight.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

you were making sense until that statement If one thing has been proven it's that the fans don't give a shit about any of that. Fans are willing to have murderers, rapists, and thugs on their teams if it means winning. That's fact. Ask any patriots fan if they would want Brady on their team. Then go ask any fan of any team if they would want Brady on their team. You will get almost a 100% yes vote from all of them. The only people that would say no are the guys that either know it would never happen or the guys that deep down know they're lying. If Brady hit free agency he would have his pick of 31 other teams to choose from just like Manning did. The NFL is going nowhere no matter what they do. The fans would never let that happen. I can see no issue that would ever even cause a decline in viewers for the NFL. If anything all this horse shit makes them more popular. Wonder what the ratings will be for the game tonight? Guarantee you it'll be more than any other show on tonight.
    I agree with what you are saying. Ratings have proven that it doesn't matter what goes on outside of the game, or what type of people the players are outside of the game. As long as the game continues to be the game, people will watch. But you are not addressing what happens when the game ceases being the game and starts being "a production". What happens then? What happens when games stop being truly competitive and/or we learn that their outcomes are not completely left to chance? The early signs of the first scenario have already appeared, and if you think the second scenario is not possible or will never happen then I have a bridge and some beachfront property to sell you.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm gonna assume this is the back pills talking but I'll play along. The cap along with the draft is set up to keep teams equal. That way you don't have 70-7 blowouts like you do in college. It makes more sense for everyone in the league if the teams are competitive. Ask JJ how much money he makes when Jacksonville comes to town versus how much money he makes when Green Bay or some other powerhouse comes to town. People won't go to games that are going to be known blowouts.....exactly why the NFL does blackouts.
    Now...onto player salaries. There are vet minimums to protect vet players salaries and a couple years ago they capped the amount a rookie can make and assigned it by draft position. They may as well call that the Sam Bradford rule. What happens is a double edged sword though. Vets eventually earn more than their production and then have problems finding a team late in their careers. Case in point is right now Hakeem Nicks did a work out for the Saints. The only way he's going to get signed by ANY team right now is at vet minimum. Tenn just cut him and he was only going to make like $1.4M. His production just doesn't equal his pay these days. The vet minimum for him is like $100k or something like that. Pierre Thomas was cut by the saints this year because they didn't feel his production was worth his salary so for the team it made more sense to just release him versus paying the money. Without the vet minimum though he could've bargained to stay in the league another year or two so the end result is him sitting at home earning zero dollars. TO, Chad Johnson, ect ect. Those guys were in the same boat. Instead of guaranteed money for the vet players it just speeds up retirement.
    You are saying my argument about the cap in my head but can't seem to put it to paper or this case post. We at least in my head are thinking the same thing...

^^^this.

Fans don't give 2 shits if NFL players are honest or even honest, they aren't politicians or priests/any religious figure.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

entertainment sells.....look at the WWE. People don't care. Look at what the NFL has done to the game itself.....they've tied the defense's hands in the name of player safety (mostly to increase scoring IMO) and football just keeps getting more popular. The PI rule that was flagged 498983 times last year that carries an automatic 1st down. Shitty rule and one that's over flagged and carries too large of a penalty and yet no one cares. Once that ball is in the air it should be anyone's ball but that's beside the point. My point, I guess, is that I can see no reason that would even reduce viewership much less put the NFL in any sort of financial troubles. Go to a game and look at the prices they get for food/drink.....not even factoring in the ticket prices. People will go and they will pay. A deflated football isn't shit. It will make zero difference in anything. People simply will not care 2 weeks from now.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

entertainment sells.....look at the WWE. People don't care. Look at what the NFL has done to the game itself.....they've tied the defense's hands in the name of player safety (mostly to increase scoring IMO) and football just keeps getting more popular. The PI rule that was flagged 498983 times last year that carries an automatic 1st down. Shitty rule and one that's over flagged and carries too large of a penalty and yet no one cares. Once that ball is in the air it should be anyone's ball but that's beside the point. My point, I guess, is that I can see no reason that would even reduce viewership much less put the NFL in any sort of financial troubles. Go to a game and look at the prices they get for food/drink.....not even factoring in the ticket prices. People will go and they will pay. A deflated football isn't shit. It will make zero difference in anything. People simply will not care 2 weeks from now.
    There it is, you hit on exactly what I was thinking. The NFL is the new WWF, and will have the same future.

red
    95 Z28

kevin, the nfl isn't going anywhere. Just stop dude.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    kevin, the nfl isn't going anywhere. Just stop dude.
    I never started.

I know you are not so naive as to think that in an organization where so much money is at stake, that games are truly left to chance. If you can honestly say you believe that, then I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree and wait and see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information