I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

Explain wireless connection to me

I have a laptop that has no wireless internet connection. Therefore I wanted to purchase a wireless card for it. However, do you need to already be hooked up on a wireless router for it to work? I know this may sound dumb, but can anyone give me the run down on running wireless on laptop?

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

I think you need a router. I don't have any experience with it though so i may be wrong.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SexyWS6Mama
    I have a laptop that has no wireless internet connection. Therefore I wanted to purchase a wireless card for it. However, do you need to already be hooked up on a wireless router for it to work? I know this may sound dumb, but can anyone give me the run down on running wireless on laptop?

If your laptop doesn't have an internal wireless card then yes, you will have to purchase a card for it. Then you'll have to get a wireless router to hook your modem connection into. Once you have it all configured the card should pick it up. One word of caution.....follow the directions to the tee....and it should give you an option to encrypt the signal....that keeps your neighbors or anyone else from being able to get free internet off you.....and if they are using your signal it will slow you down.....you can pick up a D-link from Best Buy and it works pretty good.......no complaints here.....

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

+1

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

"now,you pissed us off!!" Trouble maker's Avatar
    I use a netgear router,It is simple to install,and has worked without incident so far..and it was under 50.00!! as far as the card ,I would check on that first..Everything that is netgear from circuit city, is 10.00 cheaper than best buy!Good luck and take your time installing it.It has to install in a specific way,or it will not work!!

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by SexyWS6Mama

You do not need a router but it depends where and how you use the wireless internet

SexyWS6,

there are 2 main types of wireless connections

1 works in an environment known has a wireless homenetworking.

How this works is... You either have a special cable modem, or DSL modem with built in wireless capability... or you can buy a wireless router which acts as a base/relay station for your laptops wireless card. However, you may also use certain types of hardware to setup a peer to peer wireless connection in which you share your DSL/cable internet connection. This type of connection is known as "Ad hoc" networking, Simply put it's a connection between 2 computers only without use of a cable or router. In which case you can use 2 wireless cards, one that you had bought for laptop and the 2nd card acts as a base/relay station and would be installed on your desktop computer allowing you to recieve the internet connection from your cable or DSL modem almost anywhere in your house.

The 2nd type.. is in fact an internet connection...

How this works is you must be within range of a Relay station for wireless connections... example Down town chicago where I live has large areas of coverage where you can utilize such a connection... and later this year they are making ALL of chicago 100% wireless so no matter where you go with your laptop in chicago vicinity you can use the internet.

There's a catch though

Wireless internet connections are seperate internet accounts... and runs around $60-70/month give or take I'm unsure about the price.

So be aware you will have 2 internet bills your home internet "Cable modem or DSL or Dialup" as well as "Wireless internet connection" which is totally different, and has alot more range restrictions than any other connection.. But, as long as you are within the range of a Base station for wireless connections you can get on the internet anywhere within that range.. the moment you leave the range.. you can not get on the internet.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by DisCrete; 06-02-2006 at 02:32 PM.

DisCrete
    Here's a site that describes how to setup an Ad Hoc network should you choose to go this route.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...02april08.mspx

Thread Information