Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Ever been hit by a drunk driver???

Didn't want to hijack the DUI thread so I started my own.

Question is: Have you ever been hit by or know someone that has been killed by a drunk driver?

In 87 I was rear ended by a drunk driver, I walked away but my two week old car was totaled.

In 88 my wife (didn't know her then) was hit by a drunk. He side swiped her and hit the people behind my wife head on, killed both parents (sitting in front) two yr old in car seat lived.

In 96 my best friends father was leaving his retirement party (40 something years on the job) served his country, was like a father to me was hit and killed by a repeat offender.

I think they should throw the book at you the first time you drink & drive...

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSGUN
    Didn't want to hijack the DUI thread so I started my own.

Question is: Have you ever been hit by or know someone that has been killed by a drunk driver?

In 87 I was rear ended by a drunk driver, I walked away but my two week old car was totaled.

In 88 my wife (didn't know her then) was hit by a drunk. He side swiped her and hit the people behind my wife head on, killed both parents (sitting in front) two yr old in car seat lived.

In 96 my best friends father was leaving his retirement party (40 something years on the job) served his country, was like a father to me was hit and killed by a repeat offender.

I think they should throw the book at you the first time you drink & drive...
    I had a buddy and his wife that used to ride bikes . A drunk hit them. Killed his wife and took his leg....

Drunk driver kiled a buddy on his motorcycle 2000. He hit the back of the bike sending my buddy over head first....he was wearing full gear...broke his neck on the fall. Dude was a repeat offender he kept driving they found him eating at an ihop down the street.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

I don't know anyone, personally, who has been killed or injured by a drunk driver.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
    I don't know anyone, personally, who has been killed or injured by a drunk driver.
    You're still young, it'll happen sooner or later!

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

A couple of years after high school, a couple of friends of mine were killed by a drunk & high driver. Drunk guy was in his Trans Am. He was racing a guy in a Mustang. Rather than let off after the 1/4 mile run, he decided to top the car out. The guy in the Stang stopped because the direction they were headed was toward a pretty tough intersection. Moron was driving an estimated 140+ with no headlights on and broadsided my two buddies in a Mazda B-Series pickup. They never knew what hit them. The impact broke every bone in both their bodies. They were pronounced dead on the scene.

One kid (driver) was 18 & a senior in high school. He was a great guy and well loved by the entire community. The other kid (passenger) was 16 & a freshman in high school & also well loved by many. To this day, his sister is one of my best friends

The driver... Wearing no seat belt... He had a fractured leg, but was fine otherwise. Fucking bastard. His parents paid a lot of money for a doctor to declare him "mentally incompetent & unable to stand trial" due to the "injuries sustained in the accident" as well as buying off a judge to go for it. The SOB got a slap on the wrist for killing two kids. The worst of his sentence was unsupervised probation for 3 years. Not a year later, the prick was back out partying it up & drinking & driving. It's very hard for me not to do physical harm to him when I see him.
    Last edited by DJ Red Barron; 04-21-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I knew of someone a few yrs ago that went out drinking, on his drive home he T-boned an old man that turned in front of him. The old man died. If you were sober it would have been the old mans fault but because he was drinking he was charged with a DUI and vehicular manslaughter. I think he got a 9yr prison sentance. Lost his house, lost his car & lost his girl. and he was mad at the system . With the crack down on DUI's all the advertising that is being done and the stiff peanalties that come with being caught I just don't know why people still do it...

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1
    I lied.

I forgot about a few buddies of mine. Went out to the bar, got shit-housed. Will (whose SUV they took) declared that he was too drunk to drive. Mike decided (incorrectly) that he was okay and took the keys. A couple of miles down the road from the bar, Mike started fucking with the guys in the car by weaving it back and forth. Weaved it too much and rolled it over. Will's arm was hung out the window and got smashed pretty good...plus a punctured lung and head injury. He's okay now. Mike got charged with DUI.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

most dont understand how drunk they really are

PEWTER
    1999 Z28 CAMARO

My oldest cousin many years ago hit a house late at night. He was driving drunk and passed out. His Dodge Omni went up into this lady's yard and went right through her living room window, wall and all, and was sitting halfway inside of her house. He was so drunk he didn't even get hurt, and he just got out of the car and walked home a few blocks away. The lady who owned the house heard the crash and came downstairs and saw him walking away through her yard and called the cops. About a 1/2 hour later he got a knock on his door by the cops after they ran his tags and registration and found out he lived just a few block away. He admitted to everything, and when they took him downtown and did a blood test he still did at .23 BAC. That was his 1st of 4 dui's he's received over the years, but luckily he's never hit anyone's car or hurt anyone. Only property. His last dui a few years ago he ran through a stoplight with his drunk ass wife who he met in rehab in the passenger seat AND his at the time 4 year old daughter in the back out of her car seat. A cop car saw them run the light, and chased them for about a 1/2 mile before he actually realized that a cop was behind him. When the cops came up to his window, they saw his daughter crawling around the back seat, and the cop just lost it and yanked him out of the car through the open drivers side window and proceeded to beat the hell out of him right there on the street. The cop's partner pulled him off, and when they went to court alot of charges were reduced or dropped due to the cop assaulting my cousin. The cop was reprimanded, but didn't lose his job. My cousin still was charged with a dui, but it was his 4th and he hasn't driven since, legally at least. I'm ashamed to admit that my cousin is from my family tree. I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers, and most of the time it's the soccer mom in the minvan full of her kids that get killed and the drunk driver rarely gets a scratch.

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Quote Originally Posted by PEWTER Z
    My oldest cousin many years ago hit a house late at night. He was driving drunk and passed out. His Dodge Omni went up into this lady's yard and went right through her living room window, wall and all, and was sitting halfway inside of her house. He was so drunk he didn't even get hurt, and he just got out of the car and walked home a few blocks away. The lady who owned the house heard the crash and came downstairs and saw him walking away through her yard and called the cops. About a 1/2 hour later he got a knock on his door by the cops after they ran his tags and registration and found out he lived just a few block away. He admitted to everything, and when they took him downtown and did a blood test he still did at .23 BAC. That was his 1st of 4 dui's he's received over the years, but luckily he's never hit anyone's car or hurt anyone. Only property. His last dui a few years ago he ran through a stoplight with his drunk ass wife who he met in rehab in the passenger seat AND his at the time 4 year old daughter in the back out of her car seat. A cop car saw them run the light, and chased them for about a 1/2 mile before he actually realized that a cop was behind him. When the cops came up to his window, they saw his daughter crawling around the back seat, and the cop just lost it and yanked him out of the car through the open drivers side window and proceeded to beat the hell out of him right there on the street. The cop's partner pulled him off, and when they went to court alot of charges were reduced or dropped due to the cop assaulting my cousin. The cop was reprimanded, but didn't lose his job. My cousin still was charged with a dui, but it was his 4th and he hasn't driven since, legally at least. I'm ashamed to admit that my cousin is from my family tree. I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers, and most of the time it's the soccer mom in the minvan full of her kids that get killed and the drunk driver rarely gets a scratch.
    The cop should have been given a promotion.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I think we all have people like that in our families. Dude you Avatar rocks, I kept looking at it while reading your story.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

its amazing to me how many dui's are repeat offenders. Seems like they don't get how serious it is to get behind the wheel after having a few, even after having been arrested, gone to jail etc. for doing that. After a second offense, I would just as soon give 'em the death penalty. Why not? If they want to endanger someone's life, they might as well be put down.

What is that statistic? Something about after midnight, 25% of all freeway drivers are legally drunk. I heard that once in traffic school. It's a "sobering" thought.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes kill someone every 31 minutes and nonfatally injure someone every two minutes (NHTSA 2005).

Each year, alcohol-related crashes in the United States cost about $51 billion (Blincoe 2002).

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/drving.htm

I hope nobody thinks that I am anti drinking or anti alcohol cause I'm not, I pound a few beers over the weekend but driving and drinking just don't go together.

PEWTER
    1999 Z28 CAMARO

I agree. I'm not anti alcohol either, but everything has limits, and alcohol and driving do not mix. Never has, and never will. I NEVER get behind the wheel if I've even had one beer, and when the lady and I go out, one of us drinks and the one who doesn't, drives. It works out for us great. My heavy drinking days are long over anyway too. What really pisses me off about my cousin's antics over the years is that my aunt has always tried to defend him and say how unfair everybody has been to him with his drinking problem. She has always bailed him out, paid his fines, paid his legal fees, and everything else over the years, and still does it, and he's now 47 years old. Enabling is the key word here, and the only thing my cousin has learned that his mom will always take care of things for him, right or wrong. I can only imagine the $ amount that she has spent on him over the past 20 or so years cleaning up after his messes. I've always had to stand and be counted in eveything I've ever done wrong, and always have paid my dues and nobodys given me anything. People like him who skate through life free of charge at other peoples expense makes me ill. I hate freeloaders and people who are not held responsible for their actions or lack there of. One thing my dad taught me was to take care of yourself, and I've instilled that in my kids as well. All of them are A students and have never gotten into any kind of trouble at all. 2 of them have scholarships to colleges right now, and the 3rd one should have one too. This world would be a better place is everyone would be accountable for their actions, but then again in a perfect world that would happen, and this world is faaaaaaarrrr from being perfect.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

I can't believe he's 47 and his Mom is still bailing him out

I grew up in the UK and I remember my father drinking and drving all the time, with me in the car(mid 70's). Everytime he got pulled over he'd just say I have to get my kid home and the cop would make him park the car and then we'd walk home.
    This never stopped my dad from drinking & driving because he was never held accountable for his actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    its amazing to me how many dui's are repeat offenders. Seems like they don't get how serious it is to get behind the wheel after having a few, even after having been arrested, gone to jail etc. for doing that.
    I had a buddy that got arrested for DUI. Within 3 weeks, he was pulled over and given another one. Ended up spending a month behind bars...

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    What is that statistic? Something about after midnight, 25% of all freeway drivers are legally drunk. I heard that once in traffic school. It's a "sobering" thought.
    I heard somewhere that 1 in 50 drivers on the road at any given time are over the legal limit.

For this reason, I rarely have more than 1 drink if I'm out on the town. Even if you're at home, getting hammered isn't such a great idea in case you need to drive unexpectedly (Such as having to rush a friend or family member to the hospital...)

PEWTER
    1999 Z28 CAMARO

It's true about my 47 year old cousin. In this world there are 18 year old adults, and 47 year old adolescents. He's one who never grew up, or was never made to grow up for that matter. Imaging being 47 years old, 4 dui's, working odd job to odd job, no degree or have ever worked anywhere for more than 6 months. Again, no accountability for his actions for him. We don't speak to each other and haven't for years. He's mad that I'm 42, married with kids, have a great job and great house, drive a Z28, and no dui's or anything else for that matter, and he had none of these things. I've worked for all that I have, and he's always been handed everything and ends up ruining it anyway. If he was my son I'd have cut him off along time ago. 1 dui is one thing, and learn from your mistake, but 4 is 4 too many actually. I guess I just don't get people like him who always seem to use the system and other people. He knows better than to ever ask me for anything. I work for what I want and have.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

It's true about my 47 year old cousin. In this world there are 18 year old adults, and 47 year old adolescents. He's one who never grew up, or was never made to grow up for that matter. Imaging being 47 years old, 4 dui's, working odd job to odd job, no degree or have ever worked anywhere for more than 6 months. Again, no accountability for his actions for him. We don't speak to each other and haven't for years. He's mad that I'm 42, married with kids, have a great job and great house, drive a Z28, and no dui's or anything else for that matter, and he had none of these things. I've worked for all that I have, and he's always been handed everything and ends up ruining it anyway. If he was my son I'd have cut him off along time ago. 1 dui is one thing, and learn from your mistake, but 4 is 4 too many actually. I guess I just don't get people like him who always seem to use the system and other people. He knows better than to ever ask me for anything. I work for what I want and have.
    Amen Brotha!!

NBM
    '99 Z28

A guy I knew in highschool who partied alot and always drove around drunk thought he was cool. Well the summer we graduated 2003 he bought a bike and drove it without a license. One night he got drunk and decided he was going to take his bike out put all his equipt on but didnt strap his helmet. THe next morning in the paper it read he was dead. He tried passinng a lady doing a iewhile going 100+ when he stopped the wheelie he lost cotrol. He was pronouced dead at the scene with his helmet off. Umfortunatly he played the ultimate price for his mistake but luckly he only hurt him self.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information