Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethical Dilema

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

Question Ethical Dilema

Well, I called the dealership the other day, to advise that I have still not received a payment book or any kind of bill for my car purchase. The lady behind the counter asked me if I was calling the right dealership, because she has no record of me purchasing a car there. I asked her if she was at XYZ Chevrolet, and she confirmed it was indeed the correct dealership. I asked if she had a salesman by the name of David ******, again she said yes. When I asked her what I should do next, she jokingly said "Looks like you got a free car!"

I drove up there on lunch today and talked to the salesman that sold me the car. He said he vaguely remembers me (I bought it about a month or so ago), but can't remember if he sold me a car or not, and doesn't have any records of any sale.

So, I call the bank listed on my paperwork from when I bought the car. They said they do have a loan inquiry on record, but never received any actual loan paperwork from the dealership.

My question is this, do I pursue this further? Or, do I keep my trap shut and get a free car, with the possibility of running into some trouble down the road, and hope they never catch on?

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

wowww i wish that would have happened to me kind of.. but i totally see where you are coming from... i guess the main issue is make sure the title is under your name.. if it is.. and they never send you paper work or bills... you can say you tried but they kind of blew you off... its a tough decision... but i mean think about it.. its worth a try to save all that money...

Black
    2000 WS6

I may be old fashioned, but I will have to be up front with the dealer/bank.
    It's not like your going to get the car for free, its only a matter of time before it catches up and who knows, they may just charge you late fees or something for the duration...who knows.

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    I may be old fashioned, but I will have to be up front with the dealer/bank.
    It's not like your going to get the car for free, its only a matter of time before it catches up and who knows, they may just charge you late fees or something for the duration...who knows.
    agreed... but idk if they can charge him late fees.. they cant really do that since he was pursuing it... etc... but they probably will come back for their money when they notice the hugeee gap in their accounting

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

I believe thy will eventually catch on. It sounds nice and all but you are probably gonna save yourself a whole lotta trouble in the long run.

And you are probably gonna get some incompetent person at the dealership fired unknowingly too. But hey, not your fault.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I would be honest and go back and demand to get things done right. Karma will catch up with you. I know its not your fault but you should do the right thing. You will feel better knowing you did the right thing. After all, you do have the car, and you are driving it and enjoying it. You should pay for it. Its the honest thing to do. Imagine if that was your dealership.

Don't think about it...just do it! You'll get kudos for heaven.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

If they do inventory and see it missing from the lot, it will be reported as stolen. You should have received paperwork showing you purchased the car. Show them that. You also will can not get the car titled in your name, unless they gave you it signed, since that should be sent to the bank.

primevil
    2000 FRC

just keep the car and your paperwork... when they eventually figure it out, THEN you start making car payments. Until then.... ENJOY YOUR FREE CAR !!

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Keep track of whom you cal land when, for legal purposes, just to be safe.

Do you have a title? is it registered? when do the temp tags expire?
    ask about that part from the dealership.
    talk to the Store manager, not the salesman.

This could be a serious amount of bad Karma, and you do not want that.

Peruse it, but do not give in too easy.

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

karma's a bitch though....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I've kept all the names. And I already have the plates, and title. But, yeah, I will go in again after work and bring all my paperwork with me.

Silver

dude ur lucky as hell your in the clear if you own the title now.. there isnt anything they can do but bill you... no late fees...

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

i say wait another couple months before u do somthing...

thats a tough one man, id prob. do what you did and show up there and inquire about it and once they find out just make the payments from that point. how do you have the title if you financed the car ?

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by whitelightnin99 View Post
    thats a tough one man, id prob. do what you did and show up there and inquire about it and once they find out just make the payments from that point. how do you have the title if you financed the car ?
    mines financed and i have the title.. the title is just stamped with lien, untill u pay it off then they send you a new clear title

oh i see

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by BULLET_WS6 View Post
    mines financed and i have the title.. the title is just stamped with lien, untill u pay it off then they send you a new clear title
    Maybe it differs by state. The bank/credit union have always held the title to all the cars I have financed as collateral. My registration, on the other hand has had my name on it and then the bank/credit union as the holder of a lien.

Silver

maybe thats what im thinking of.. hell if i pay attention to that stuff

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I have the title in my possession. And it does have a stamp on it stating there is a lein against it. So, they apparently got that part right, they just aren't billing me because they have lost the physical and electronic paperwork somehow. Like I said, I will bring in all my paperwork after work tonight and see what goes down from there.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

some places have a 45 day before you pay time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information