Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Engineering/Land Surveying Licenses

Who on this site is on his/her way to becoming licensed? What state, and how hard is it? Just curious. By the way, I am taking my LSI (not LS1, land surveyor intern) test in Oklahoma this October, then I have to have 4 years experience under a licensed land surveyor (my company has at least 3), then I have to take the PLS exam to become licensed....by THEN,
    I will probably also be finished with my civil engineering degree, and can take my EI (engineering intern) exam, wait 4 more years, and take my PE exam to become a professional engineer....lot of studying to do, but will be worth it.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

ive really thought about it . . . there is only one or two surveyor companies around here . . . .good money. i wouldnt think it would be too hard. but i didnt know you had to have 4 yrs experience to be certified.( i dont know the requirement in indiana) i have my bs in construction management and have worked excavating with my father for most of my life so ive gotten some taste of it. wonder what the average salary is?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    ive really thought about it . . . there is only one or two surveyor companies around here . . . .good money. i wouldnt think it would be too hard. but i didnt know you had to have 4 yrs experience to be certified.( i dont know the requirement in indiana) i have my bs in construction management and have worked excavating with my father for most of my life so ive gotten some taste of it. wonder what the average salary is?
    excavating....no wonder your car is so dirty j/k. I'm not sure the requirements up there, it varies widely from state to state. It's sometimes even easier to go to another state and get licensed, then have your certification transferred to your state. Then you'd also be licensed in two states, which makes you more valuable. There are websites that give average salaries for a particular job in your area, you should search one up. Right now as a CAD tech, soon to be LSI driving an LS1 I make a couple grand a year above average, which is nice.

so are you a cad tech for a surveying company right now? . . . thatll be cool man!! i know with new/stricter health department regulations around here, common septic systems now require surveying and cad drawings/prints . . . so demand is gettin higher and higher. ive mentioned to my boss at my current company (we're a commercial general contractor) about creating a surveyin division.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

so are you a cad tech for a surveying company right now? . . . thatll be cool man!! i know with new/stricter health department regulations around here, common septic systems now require surveying and cad drawings/prints . . . so demand is gettin higher and higher. ive mentioned to my boss at my current company (we're a commercial general contractor) about creating a surveyin division.

Right now I am a Cad/Civil Tech for a Land Development consulting firm. We have civil, surveying, architecture, planning, and landscape architecture departments. This place can just about do it all when it comes to design work. Our regulations down here are getting like that too. For septic down here, you have to have a licensed surveyor sign off on location and have a percolation test done, which he also has to sign off on. Licensed land surveyors are becoming few and far between, and jobs for them are paying higher these days, especially the BLM, who I interned for in Arizona during college in 2006...I made 13/hr as an intern with overtime, my own truck, and it was fun.

good field to be in guys... I am on the architectural end of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    Right now I am a Cad/Civil Tech for a Land Development consulting firm. We have civil, surveying, architecture, planning, and landscape architecture departments. This place can just about do it all when it comes to design work. Our regulations down here are getting like that too. For septic down here, you have to have a licensed surveyor sign off on location and have a percolation test done, which he also has to sign off on. Licensed land surveyors are becoming few and far between, and jobs for them are paying higher these days, especially the BLM, who I interned for in Arizona during college in 2006...I made 13/hr as an intern with overtime, my own truck, and it was fun.
    big company then! wow your guys regulations are even more strict than ours. definately a good decision to go into the surveying field then, especially if there aren't many of them! yeah gonna be good money if your makin that much as an intern. i only made 9/hr for my second internship in 2006, it was mostly estimating/project management.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    http://www.tannerconsulting-llc.com/ You can see some of the stuff we have done and do. There are some pretty nice houses that our architecture department has done, one house I think went for 1.7 mil

yeah . . . now if the market would pic up a big more! i started college goin towards architecture. had about 5 classes and decided it wasnt for me. . . didn't like bein stuck in studio all day. definately a good major tho, both our arch and landscape arch are nationally ranked!

http://www.tannerconsulting-llc.com/ You can see some of the stuff we have done and do. There are some pretty nice houses that our architecture department has done, one house I think went for 1.7 mil
    seems like a pretty cool company man!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

seems like a pretty cool company man!
    It rocks, they're also paying for my college and all my licensing fees so that also rocks. Right now I'm setting up stationing for sanitary tees in profile view for a 60+ acre residential subdivision. Hoping to submit full plans to the city by Friday.

looks good... I am a VP for a construction company that builds all glass high rise buildings... I deal with architects and engineers on a daily basis... Our job sizes range from 5k and up. We are getting ready to start work on the biggest job we have ever did at just over 500 million.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

looks good... I am a VP for a construction company that builds all glass high rise buildings... I deal with architects and engineers on a daily basis... Our job sizes range from 5k and up. We are getting ready to start work on the biggest job we have ever did at just over 500 million.

Wow, you are in the money then man! Good luck on the big job, those seem to bring the most complicated clients as well....

Wow, you are in the money then man! Good luck on the big job, those seem to bring the most complicated clients as well....
    Thanks man... It is a 4 year project for us. I will post up some pics as we go alone.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Thanks man... It is a 4 year project for us. I will post up some pics as we go alone.
    Yeah, definately do that. I'd like to see it.

here is a pic of a 300 foot long skylight we just finished in a high school...

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

here is a pic of a 300 foot long skylight we just finished in a high school... Click for full size
    Very nice, I love those skylights, wouldn't mind if my house had one at a smaller scale..it would have to withstand a few tornadoes...

Awaiting Activation

Black
    02 T/A WS6

Who on this site is on his/her way to becoming licensed? What state, and how hard is it?
    I am currently an EIT (ME) in Texas. The FE was a breeze. Several of the people I went to school with took the FE without studying at all and passed. I looked over the material a few times the week before taking the test and passed. The study materials are a lot harder than the actual test. Most of the questions can be answered without any serious thought.

1966 Corvette Coupe

I passed the FE... would call it more of a flook that i passed... I didnt really study and i gave up and walked out with about 90% of the test done and i still passed... I dont know if im gonna go for the FE or not.

-me

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by G-6155 Interceptor View Post
    I am currently an EIT (ME) in Texas. The FE was a breeze. Several of the people I went to school with took the FE without studying at all and passed. I looked over the material a few times the week before taking the test and passed. The study materials are a lot harder than the actual test. Most of the questions can be answered without any serious thought.
    Sounds good. We've had a couple guys here take it recently in OK, they said it was fairly easy, especially since they over-studied for it. I've got a little ways still before I take the FE exam. I've got to finish my bachelor's in civil first. I've got a drafting and a surveying degree in the bag, so I'm getting my surveyor stuff done now, that way here in about ten years, I'll be doubly licensed, and worth a lot more $$$$$$$, then I can do what I want with my car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information